Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crystal Light
Michelle 12:51 PM 04-02-2011
I have a question about those sugar free flavored powder drinks.
my kids love them and I serve it instead of juice or koolaid , but I get the feeling that it isn't good for them because of all the news about red food dye.
Any advise?
Kaddidle Care 01:21 PM 04-02-2011
I don't trust any of that sugar free stuff for kids. As a treat every now and then but never for every day.
MN Mom 02:00 PM 04-02-2011
I don't do the sugar free drinks either. I've read waaay too many bad reports on artificial sweeteners and cancer. Instead, I buy frozen juice and mix it with 4 cans of water versus 3. I also make kool-aid (the kind that mixes clear) and use half the amount of sugar and a little more water than it calls for. In the summer time, I break out my sun tea jug and make sun tea and use sliced lemons while I'm letting it brew...and only add honey in leiu of sugar to the finished product.
nannyde 02:07 PM 04-02-2011
I don't do anything but milk, water, and juice. I've never given the kids powdered drinks. We have had sprite a few times when we have had parties but that's once or twice a year.

Can I ask why you are doing these kinds of drinks instead of juice? Is it the cost?
Michelle 05:46 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't do anything but milk, water, and juice. I've never given the kids powdered drinks. We have had sprite a few times when we have had parties but that's once or twice a year.

Can I ask why you are doing these kinds of drinks instead of juice? Is it the cost?
no it's not the cost, i just don't want them having all that sugar and I heard that juice is not good either, or too much juice is not good. We give them only 6 oz. of juice a day.

I just got the feeling that the powdered drinks weren't a good idea, none of the parents complain, i just was wondering if someone had a website to go to or some facts about it. These kids I have are very used to their parents giving them juice and capri sun all day and I wanted to give them water but they hate it.
snbauser 07:17 PM 04-02-2011
Here we serve milk with breakfast and lunch. For snack the get one cup of 100% juice (4oz) and then water if they are still thirsty.
Hunni Bee 07:39 PM 04-02-2011
I dont mind the capri-suns...they dont have any dye in them and they have less sugar than most juices (But since someone posted video of that disgusting thing that was in a delmonte juice pack, i've been leery...but I've always cut the packs open and poured them into cupas because seven ounces of juice is too much for a 3 year olds bladder...the kids split them.)

Last year we got about 80 boxes of capri suns from our food bank...they lasted us all summer...they were great. We even had some of the 100% juice ones. This year, however, they had only the kool-aid ones. I would only ever give it at snack...its strictly milk at breakfast and lunch. Even half of those is too much sugar for my kiddos...and as soon as they see the box, they stop eating and throw their food in the trash

I made the decision that my class will not drink those...it will be water at snack...occasionally weak juice or chocolate/strawberry milk. Let them drink that sweet, colored mess at home...Most of my kids drink water if its really cold and they know there will be nothing else to be had.

I avoid artificial sweeteners...not good for kids.
momofboys 08:47 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
no it's not the cost, i just don't want them having all that sugar and I heard that juice is not good either, or too much juice is not good. We give them only 6 oz. of juice a day.

I just got the feeling that the powdered drinks weren't a good idea, none of the parents complain, i just was wondering if someone had a website to go to or some facts about it. These kids I have are very used to their parents giving them juice and capri sun all day and I wanted to give them water but they hate it.
I would much prefer my kids had something natural (water/milk/real juice) than something with an artificial sweetner. I'd worry more about that (the artificial aspect) than overdoing it with real juice. At least the juice is natural.
Candyland 10:04 PM 04-02-2011
I, too, don't give kids artificial sweeteners.
Water, juice & milk are it!
JenNJ 05:08 AM 04-03-2011
I do water throughout the day and at snacktimes. Milk at lunch. As a rare treat, watered down juice.
mickey2 05:13 AM 04-03-2011
I give milk, water and pure juice only. Nothing with added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
SilverSabre25 05:30 AM 04-03-2011
I do primarily water, some milk, and very rarely juice.

I've noticed that on Mondays, some of my kiddos have diapers that are barely wet, and by the end of the week, they're having fully wet diapers all day long. Poor things do NOT get enough hydration when they're at home.
Michelle 07:03 AM 04-03-2011
ok , starting this week no more Crystal light, thanks ladies, I will try to push the water, really really cold water might help
ammama 07:09 AM 04-03-2011
We don't drink juice here, except for the odd juice box on field trips/picnics. You could try giving them slices of lemon in their water. My kids like sucking the lemon - and have to drink the water before I let them dig it out of the cup.
MN Mom 07:11 AM 04-03-2011
Yep, really cold water. I found that my kids (by my kids, I actually mean MY kids) LOVE it when I put and ice cube or two in their water. They also love a touch of fresh lemon juice in their water too. The lemon is a treat for them though, because in the summer....they drink straight from the hose, and we have cold cold well water out here in the boonies!
pinkcrayonz 11:20 AM 04-03-2011
water, milk as a treat, No juice unless parent specifically asks for it Ie if they are sick and need the sugars, Kids dont drink enogh water, and firmly believe we all should should be getting callories from food, not liquids , just my 2 cents
Live and Learn 02:30 PM 04-03-2011
Water only here unless the parent packs milk in the lunch.

My doc told me it is better to eat an apple and then drink a glass of water than to just drink apple juice. Same with the other fruit juices.

My dc kids have never had juice here....much less kooolaid or other artificial flavored or sweetened drinks.
Unregistered 04:24 PM 04-03-2011
My son's Ped told me that in moderation, Crystal Light is fine. I asked him because my son loves my peach tea and I wanted to make sure it was okay for him. He said it was no big deal. Maybe ask your ped if you have small kids, or call one. Drs. are way more up to date on this stuff than other non-medical professionals. NO rudeness intended, just sayin'.
Unregistered 05:39 PM 04-03-2011
If the kids are drinking from some sort of sippy cup, try adding an ice-cube to their water. They think it's quite a treat and drink the water up better. Remember not in regular cups as this is a choking hazard.
Michelle 08:00 PM 04-03-2011
o.k. thanks, I will try the ice cubes
I already know the answer if I ask the Dr. about Crystal Light.
He told me not to even give them Cherrios because they have too much sugar!
Greenshadow 03:04 AM 04-04-2011
I give milk for meals and water for snacks and in between. I buy Motts juice for the kids but they dont get it very often. Maybe if we go to the park or something. I never buy the Capri Sun's anymore because of all the guck they started finding in them! I stick to the stuff I can see through.
Meeko 08:22 AM 04-04-2011
Our food program stipulates milk with breakfast and lunch and that juice must be 100% pure fruit juice. We can serve Kool-Aid type drinks etc, but as an extra, not as a substitute. I usually just serve milk, juice and water.
littlemissmuffet 09:14 AM 04-04-2011
I only serve milk and water. No juice. My kids get their daily servings of fruits and veggies without juice, so I have no reason to serve it.
Unregistered 09:31 AM 04-04-2011
The artifical sweetners give everyone in my family diarrhea. My dentist and a few of my close friends have said the same thing. Sorry for getting graphic but I had to share. Can't be good for you if thats what is does to you.
dEHmom 09:32 AM 04-04-2011
crystal light has aspartame.

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nut.../aspartame.htm

http://aspartame.mercola.com/
Michelle 11:53 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
crystal light has aspartame.

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/nut.../aspartame.htm

http://aspartame.mercola.com/
wow, thank you! I read the whole article!
I love this forum!
I am just the kind of person that needs to read and learn about things, not "just don't do it" ... tell me why??? my teachers loved me lol
I have always thought that Crystal light would be bad in excess. I usually would give it as a treat or as frozen pops, but now only water.
Today is going really good. Just water and milk today.
Tags:crystal light, juice, koolaid
Reply Up