Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Nuts For Taking A 4 Mo Old Just 2x A Week?
Unregistered 08:39 AM 06-10-2011
I have had him now for a month on this cycle of just 2 days a week. It is so hard I keep praying he adjust a little. He won't lay on his tummy or back, doesn't like play at all. The minute I set him down he screams and won't stop until he is picked up again.

I want to help this mom but I am starting to think I am in over my head. Any tips to help him adjust to playing and not being held? He doesn't reach for things yet and has no interest in rattles or play gyms.
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 06-10-2011
Nah, now a 4 YEAR old just 2 days a week would be nuts....

I want to warn you that he NEEDS to be exposed to gravity, NOW.

Crying is not going to make him developmentally delayed or miserable for the general public to be around...being held all day can.

If he is not sleeping, eating or getting a reasonable timed snuggle he should be on the floor, on a safe surface, with age appropriate toys, in a protected area. If he goes to sleep put him in the crib immediately.

If he wakes up, back the the floor he goes. Restraint devices (walkers, swings, chairs, etc.) are no longer recommended (never for more than 20 minutes if you MUST use them).

Good luck, hun. That is the best grinning, wiggling, sweet smelling age there is.
nannyde 09:45 AM 06-10-2011
Yup another case of antigravityitis.

BELLY TIME little mookie
PeanutsGalore 09:47 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Good luck, hun. That is the best grinning, wiggling, sweet smelling age there is.
Even the poo smells sweeter at 4 months!

To the OP...sorry you're dealing with this. Is he like this at home too? Is it possible the mom can leave him with you full time? He might adjust better if he's there longer hours.
cheerfuldom 10:31 AM 06-10-2011
super challenging unless mom has him on a routine that you can replicate at daycare. I have only ever had success with one baby part timer and that is because I know me and mom are doing the exact same thing at daycare and at home. There is no adjustment because baby's day is the same, right down to nap times, CIO if necessary, meals, and good old gravity like others were saying.
MyAngels 11:12 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Nah, now a 4 YEAR old just 2 days a week would be nuts....

I want to warn you that he NEEDS to be exposed to gravity, NOW.

Crying is not going to make him developmentally delayed or miserable for the general public to be around...being held all day can.

If he is not sleeping, eating or getting a reasonable timed snuggle he should be on the floor, on a safe surface, with age appropriate toys, in a protected area. If he goes to sleep put him in the crib immediately.

If he wakes up, back the the floor he goes. Restraint devices (walkers, swings, chairs, etc.) are no longer recommended (never for more than 20 minutes if you MUST use them).

Yes, this. I just started a 3 month old only 2 days per week. I'm in heaven - I just love my babies .
momma2girls 11:19 AM 06-10-2011
I started a 3 month old, onlly 3-4 days per week. Has been here now for a month and still just screams when I lay her down. I asked the parents about this, and they hold her alot and rock her to sleep all the time. She cat naps throughout the entire day. She has gotten better, I have let her CIO on several occasions. This is the only advice I can give you. Hopefully the baby will get easier for you and catch on to your routine. It is very tough at first!!! UGHHH!!!
Abigail 05:39 PM 06-10-2011
As a previous poster said baby items like exsaucers, bouncers, swings should be used a maximum of 20 minutes twice a day each. Then it's just floor time on the back and supervised tummy time for the young ones. We also have a bumbo that works wonders with a small rattle. If your baby isn't interested in holding and reaching for things, you should try putting the baby in a bumbo facing the children and after a few minutes of crying the baby will be entertained by the kids. I would talk to the parents and tell them you do check on every cry as required for licensing, but you will not pick the child up everytime. Let them know you're going to focus on floor time and tummy time, etc as this is the stage of development for gaining those muscles. Just make sure you have a safe place to keep the baby near you on the floor (we have a 6 by 10 foot area gated off for our little one) and it's only for non-mobile children and adults.
bice99 06:48 PM 06-10-2011
All of mine have started with me between 3 and 4 months and all 2 or 3 days per week. I just stick to my routine here and finally the parents realize that it works. They are amazed at how their babies nap here for hours at a time and never nap at home. Well, I don't rock them to sleep before I lay them down so that they startle awake when they hit the cold sheets! I am known as the baby whispered. I even had a mama bring me her DD because she was exhausted and wouldn't nap at home. 2 hours AM and 2 hours PM for everyone who needs 2 naps a day (obviously that was when she was a little older). I love all of my toddlers who have been with me their whole lives.
Tags:age appropriate - physical activity, cio, developmental - support, infants - floor time, infants - no restraint, part time care
Reply Up