Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Signs of ADHD Evident by Preschool
Kaddidle Care 01:02 PM 08-01-2012
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/s...ol-expert-says

I had to chuckle at the list:

"•Avoids or dislikes activities that require more than one to two minutes of concentration

•Loses interest in activities after a few minutes

•Talks a lot more and makes more noise than other children the same age

•Climbs on things despite being told not to

•Unable to hop on one foot by the age of 4

•Almost always restless and insists on getting up after being seated for only a few minutes

•Acts fearless, which results in dangerous situations

•Warms up to strangers too quickly

•Behaves aggressively with friends

•Has been injured after moving too fast or running after being told to slow down
"

I'd say this describes about 90% of the children I've seen these days.
sharlan 02:34 PM 08-01-2012
Every child in my care is ADHD, evidently.

Even my 10 mo has bumped her head by crawling too fast.
daycarediva 03:56 PM 08-01-2012
that's most of the kids in my care for sure!
WImom 04:14 PM 08-01-2012
Yeah, I have 2 or 3 here that are that way. One of them though I wouldn't be surprised if she is diagnosed with ADHD when she gets to school.
e.j. 06:06 PM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
Yeah, I have 2 or 3 here that are that way. One of them though I wouldn't be surprised if she is diagnosed with ADHD when she gets to school.
Same here. All kids have their moments. I think with an ADHD diagnosis, though, it's all about the frequency and intensity of the behaviors.
Unregistered 06:27 PM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/s...ol-expert-says

I had to chuckle at the list:

"•Avoids or dislikes activities that require more than one to two minutes of concentration

•Loses interest in activities after a few minutes

•Talks a lot more and makes more noise than other children the same age

•Climbs on things despite being told not to

•Unable to hop on one foot by the age of 4

•Almost always restless and insists on getting up after being seated for only a few minutes

•Acts fearless, which results in dangerous situations

•Warms up to strangers too quickly

•Behaves aggressively with friends

•Has been injured after moving too fast or running after being told to slow down
"

I'd say this describes about 90% of the children I've seen these days.
I dont see why this is so funny? I KNEW something was wrong with my 2nd child from the age of 1 BUT people kept telling me it was normal behavior but guess what it WASNT but you tend to listen to the docs and people around you he could of gotten help earlier if someone would of listened to me instead of saying oh its normal behavior FINALLY at age 6 he was dignosed and went threw behavioral therpay and put on meds even thou he didnt get on right meds til 7 it took along time I wonder sometimes if emotional he would be more towards his age then he is. Catching things like this is IMPORTANT for the child and family.
itlw8 07:03 AM 08-02-2012
I KNEW something was wrong with my son at preschool age but really he was in 1st grade before we figured out he was LD and in 3rd grade before we figured out the ADD maybe the list is wrong for him because he was not Hyperactive

Avoids or dislikes activities that require more than one to two minutes of concentration No but even though he was still sitting there his head was somewhere else

•Loses interest in activities after a few minutes Kinda but not so much at preschool age

•Talks a lot more and makes more noise than other children the same age talked more no loud yes. and trouble containing temper as an adult he rambles

•Climbs on things despite being told not tono more than the rest of them

•Unable to hop on one foot by the age of 4no and he taught imself to ride a bike at 4

•Acts fearless, which results in dangerous situationsyes to this day he thinks he can fix things because he has seen it done but as a preschooler no

•Warms up to strangers too quicklyno

•Behaves aggressively with friendsagressive no quick temper yes

•Has been injured after moving too fast or running after being told to slow downno more than others

The kids I KNEW something was going on were far worse than that list. Like climb on a roof not the furniture.but just as someone with ADHD has to learn to control them selves maybe the parents play a part in setting rules and expectations.Severity also plays a HUGE part also
"
Kaddidle Care 08:54 AM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I dont see why this is so funny? I KNEW something was wrong with my 2nd child from the age of 1 BUT people kept telling me it was normal behavior but guess what it WASNT but you tend to listen to the docs and people around you he could of gotten help earlier if someone would of listened to me instead of saying oh its normal behavior FINALLY at age 6 he was dignosed and went threw behavioral therpay and put on meds even thou he didnt get on right meds til 7 it took along time I wonder sometimes if emotional he would be more towards his age then he is. Catching things like this is IMPORTANT for the child and family.
Perhaps I laugh because of an experience I had. My son is ADHD and in High School things righted themselves pretty well. I would go in for conference even though he was an A student just to let them know about his ADHD and his typical "down" time which is anywhere from the end of February through the end of March. It was just to let them know, be aware and to feel free to contact us if he seemed off.

I will never forget his Physics teacher's reaction when I told her he had ADHD. She said "All boys have ADD!" So.. looking at the symptoms and seeing so many children display them made me chuckle to myself.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone but sometimes you really do have to laugh when you have a child that just doesn't fit into the mold. It can be very stressful and laughter is good medicine.
itlw8 09:02 AM 08-02-2012
When you live with one, or two you have to laugh....

My dil says it is the K..... men so now she has one and her boy is the same way. I said she has to keep ds no sending him back.
SilverSabre25 10:08 AM 08-02-2012
I kinda suspected that the laughter was largely because that list really does describe the typical behaviors of preschoolers! Even NT ones who aren't ADD/ADHD or anything like that.
Kaddidle Care 10:39 AM 08-02-2012
It does doesn't it? That and if you've ever filled out one of those questionaires you would spot behaviors in yourself and in your spouse and say "Yep, I got it too!"

My husband does for sure.. oh how we are forever looking for his keys, the remotes, the hand held phones... etc., etc.
SilverSabre25 01:12 PM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
It does doesn't it? That and if you've ever filled out one of those questionaires you would spot behaviors in yourself and in your spouse and say "Yep, I got it too!"

My husband does for sure.. oh how we are forever looking for his keys, the remotes, the hand held phones... etc., etc.
OH yeah absolutely. Well, I really am ADD (I don't have the H)--check on a list of the "girl" ADD stuff and ooohhh yeah, you can see the tracks all over my childhood! DH is too--he follows the "girl" type a LOT more than most boys do--and again, you can see it. DH is actually more severe than me by quite a bit--tipping over into the Asperger's category.

But we didn't get caught because we weren't the "typical" presentation.

That list of behaviors? Most of those are developmentally normal for preschoolers. They aren't supposed to be able to sit still and concentrate, etc. They're KIDS! That list bothers me a lot because it's expecting some awfully advanced stuff of kids who are three and four and I'm concerned that people will see one or two of them and scream, "ADHD!!!!"

Someone who said that it's the intensity, frequency, and severity that marks for the ADHD though and I have to agree. A child who has ALL of those markers ALL the time to a SEVERE extent is probably ADHD. But all kids that age are going to have some of those some of the time.
Sugar Magnolia 04:39 PM 08-02-2012
Just my theory, but "red" makes kids bonkers. Anything with bright red artificial color is suspicious to me. Its a petroleum product. And of course, sugar, in all its forms. If it ends in "----ose", its suspicious. Especially the omnipresent high fructose corn syrup. Anybody with me on this? I also have a theory that kids that get too much screen time are also adhd prone too.
Reply Up