Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Screaming at nap time
justgettingstarted 01:27 PM 08-02-2012
New DCG, about 2.5, cried a bit at nap time yesterday (first day) and then slept over 3 hours. Today, at the mention of nap time, she started crying and screaming. I let her lay on her cot a few minutes while I tucked the others in then stroked her hair and tried to calm her. After another 10 minutes of screaming and crying and several more attempts to calm her I finally told her to hush and that everyone else wants to sleep so she needs to quiet down. I've never dealt with this. I know she's scared being in a new place (although at all other times of the day she seems very comfortable here, she gets along with everyone very well and is not shy at all) but holy hell can she scream! Everyone else was exhausted and just looking at me like, really? I finally had to put her in another room and she cried herself out. Any tips? I've never had a child do this before but I am new to daycare...
Zoe 01:38 PM 08-02-2012
I had a girl 2.5 who was scared the first month she was with me. I sat with her and stroked her back til she went to sleep. Then I gradually stopped doing that and just sat by the door until she fell asleep. Now I can just lay her down and leave the room and she is just fine.

Now, I did this with no other kids in the room. If you can get your others down first in the one room then lead her to her own room and comfort her, that might work for you, as long as there aren't any supervision issues. Good luck!
justgettingstarted 02:09 PM 08-02-2012
Unfortunately I don't have another room for her. DS sleeps in his room, that just leaves mine and DH's room. I don't want kids in my room and since we have a pocket door into our bathroom I can't lock it off sufficiently for licensing so I'd have to completely childproof our bathroom. I put her in there just until she fell asleep then carried her on her cot back into the nap room (not easy!). I can't do that every day, no way. Should I tell her parents that she's having trouble? Just make the other kids suffer through it until she can nap normally? She only comes two day per week right now so it's probably going to take a long time. Everything was going so well with this dcg until now.
saved4always 04:53 PM 08-02-2012
I have no good advice but I feel for you. I also have a 2 yo who screams bloody murder at naptime. The way he carries on, you would think he is being murdered! All the kids have to sleep in the same room on cots so it keeps the others from settling. Nothing I say calms him and he just screams more if I try to rub his back or head. So, I ignore him and he finally goes to sleep. But it is excruciating until that happens. No one else can settle down to rest until he is done screaming. I am hoping he will stop it eventually.

Today he used the "I need to go potty" thing while he was screaming (mind you, we had just gone potty before laying down). I took him and he tried it again when he got back to his cot and found out he still had to lay down. I am not going to fall for that one again!
Crazy8 07:55 PM 08-02-2012
I always find day 2 to be harder than day 1 with new kids! I have had a few that cry at nap time before - it never lasts beyond the first few days though. Hopefully it is just a first week thing for your new little girl. I actually WOULDN'T put her in another room though if you don't plan on doing it that way permanently - I'd just let her get used to the normal routine.
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 08-03-2012
dont tell her parents yet. Give her a trial period, at least two weeks, just in your own mind where this little one needs to adjust or some further action taken. its only day 2!
Truly Scrumptious 07:00 AM 08-03-2012
It takes a good 3 months for new ones to transition. Just be consistent and it should get a little better each day.

Zoe's suggested routine sounds good. But, you may still reach a point where you just can't do it.
My3cents 11:46 AM 08-03-2012
I do whatever it takes to get everyone to rest.

My kids are all in one room and it can be tricky.

Try rubbing her back, a stuffy,music,sitting with her, and just keep doing the routine. She will get it. It takes time- It takes a toll on everyone for a bit.

best-
Tags:naptime - screamer
Reply Up