Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>nap question
WImom 12:51 PM 08-09-2012
Tips with kids who just can't lay still for the required 30 minutes of rest. I have a 3y old DCG that will nap if she lays still and parents still want her to nap and I can tell she needs it because she will yawn the whole nap time.

She just doesn't lay still. She's playing with her pillow, hitting the sides of the cot, etc. I figured by telling her she needs to lay still to get books she would get it but she doesn't.

She is my only one that doesn't nap or lay quietly. All the kids sleep in the same large playroom. Everyone around her is sleeping so it's not like someone is keeping her up.
AnneCordelia 12:57 PM 08-09-2012
I sometimes have difficulties with a 2yo dcb I have. I find a day or two of me staring him down until he sleeps is enough to remind him of proper nap behavior for a month or so.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 08-09-2012
I use audio books. I keep the volume just low enough that the kids can't hear the story unless they lie really still. (Nap mats make a lot of noise, even when a kid is just turning over. )

When the kids lay still enough to listen, they are usually asleep within a few minutes. HTH
WImom 01:11 PM 08-09-2012
I do have nap music and they know once it plays through one time then they get books and then quiet items. She's been here since January so I'd think she'd have figured this out by now.

I also have her right by me most days, depending on who else is here.
Truly Scrumptious 03:20 PM 08-09-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use audio books. I keep the volume just low enough that the kids can't hear the story unless they lie really still. (Nap mats make a lot of noise, even when a kid is just turning over. )

When the kids lay still enough to listen, they are usually asleep within a few minutes. HTH
That is a really great idea! I just play quiet music, and my kids are good sleepers, but I think they would enjoy listening to a story.
Reply Up