Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can You Open a Daycare If You Have PTSD?
jpham 07:12 PM 09-04-2015
I was told that a person can have PTSD and not disclose it if they open up a daycare.
Thriftylady 07:22 PM 09-04-2015
I don't disclose it to my families. There is no need to. Mine is from my abusive first marriage. I don't think disclosing it is the issue. I think the issue is does it make one unsafe to be in charge of children. In my case the answer is no. I have had several years of therapy, still getting treatment and follow my treatment plan. It has never made me do anything dangerous towards children, and if I am having issues or a bad day or whatever I call someone. I spoke with my therapist AND my other mental health professionals BEFORE I reopened my daycare. We agreed that it would be a good choice for me to start providing care again. I did childcare before 12 years ago, that was before I was diagnosed, and wasn't a danger or anything then either.

That being said, like any other illness, mental illness is different for everyone. If for some reason a person shouldn't be around children regardless of the reason, then they shouldn't be doing daycare. Some people that have PTSD are violent, others like me can have depression and or anxiety. Still others may have different symptoms. Treatment can do a lot (I am so much better having since being diagnosed and having treatment I understand now why I feel so sad sometimes) but it is up to each person to be honest with him/herself as to if they should take on any profession.

I have known some people who have nothing like PTSD, or any other mental illness who shouldn't be left alone with children.
jpham 07:30 PM 09-04-2015
Thank you for your reply, my friend was involved in a serious car accident and was diagnosed with PTSD, she wants to open a daycare now that she can't commute. She lives in California btw, not sure if there's different rules for different states.
Thriftylady 07:22 AM 09-05-2015
Every state does have its own child care rules. And I could be wrong on this but I think as long as you are healthy enough to provide care (mentally and physically). You will probably get more replies Monday from our providers in CA. The boards are a little slow on weekends with everyone having family time. My trucker will be home later yahoo!
midaycare 07:32 AM 09-05-2015
Not sure about CA, but here in MI when you open up a daycare in your home, a doctor is required to sign off on it.

For example, I take a lose dose of anti-depressants. Not for depression but for fibro. That can still have side effects, though. So my doctor makes sure she meets with me each year to make sure I am still doing well. And my other doc I see every 6 months, and they communicate.

My doctor took her responsibility very seriously and said she would "sign off" on the daycare medical form, but on the condition I started slowly (meaning a few kids) and worked up to full time kids if I was still feeling well. I also have other auto immune issues (lupus being the primary), but really, I'm healthier and complain less than most
Controlled Chaos 07:38 AM 09-05-2015
wow, in UT there is no medical screening of any kind
jenboo 07:44 AM 09-05-2015
I've never heard of medical screenings for home daycares
NillaWafers 08:41 AM 09-05-2015
There are no laws or requirements about medical conditions in CA. I wasn't required to have a dr. Sign off on it, nor did my licensor ask me any questions.
midaycare 09:21 AM 09-05-2015
Well that's kind of crazy. A doctor not only had to say I was stable, but also all adults living in the house, so my husband, too.
NillaWafers 10:02 AM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Well that's kind of crazy. A doctor not only had to say I was stable, but also all adults living in the house, so my husband, too.
CA's laws are so ambiguous, it was so hard to prep my house for the inspection because they are not clear about what is ok. It could be different for every person applying (and their licensor). I did have to have a background check for both my hubby and I.

In fact, compared to some of the laws I've read on this forum CA is kinda lax, haha.
Thriftylady 12:18 PM 09-05-2015
In a way I don't see how that makes a difference in anything. Who says I don't have major issues and maybe I am a whack job but I go to a doctor who knows nothing about me and they sign off? Kind of like all these mass shootings where people are mental and shouldn't have been able to get guns, but nobody knew it yet so they did.
midaycare 12:56 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
In a way I don't see how that makes a difference in anything. Who says I don't have major issues and maybe I am a whack job but I go to a doctor who knows nothing about me and they sign off? Kind of like all these mass shootings where people are mental and shouldn't have been able to get guns, but nobody knew it yet so they did.
I understand. But at least they do something, right? It's a little overboard, but better to be safe than sorry.
Thriftylady 01:08 PM 09-05-2015
I understand. But at least they do something, right? It's a little overboard, but better to be safe than sorry.
I am not sure it is overboard, just not sure it accomplishes anything. In my case with my PTSD, my therapist and doctors would have signed off. Point is they KNOW I am being treated and have treated me long enough to know if things get bad I will reach out. But if you don't know the patient you just take their word for it. I can go tell a doctor I am fine and if he doesn't know me he signs off right?
permanentvacation 05:45 PM 09-05-2015
According to what you post as your location on this forum, you are in Maryland, like I am. So I know that you do have to have a doctor clear you to do daycare. As long as your doctor clears you, then yes, you can do daycare while you have PTSD. PTSD is different in each person. So, it would depend on your personal symptoms and whether or not they would affect your ability to do daycare properly. Only you and your doctor (because both of you should know your specific symptoms) would be able to determine whether or not your PTSD would negatively affect your ability to operate a licensed home daycare or work in a daycare center. I would suggest that you honestly evaluate your PTSD symptoms and decide if you believe you would be able to do daycare or not.
midaycare 08:50 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am not sure it is overboard, just not sure it accomplishes anything. In my case with my PTSD, my therapist and doctors would have signed off. Point is they KNOW I am being treated and have treated me long enough to know if things get bad I will reach out. But if you don't know the patient you just take their word for it. I can go tell a doctor I am fine and if he doesn't know me he signs off right?
I think it's a big risk for a doctor to sign off on a patient who may or may not have mental issues. Without knowing me well, there is no way my doctor would have signed off on me. And I don't have issues preventing me from work, I just take a low dose antidepressant for an autoimmune condition. Doctors are getting sued for everything nowadays. I have seen them be more and more careful with what they sign their name to.
NillaWafers 08:51 PM 09-05-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
According to what you post as your location on this forum, you are in Maryland, like I am. So I know that you do have to have a doctor clear you to do daycare. As long as your doctor clears you, then yes, you can do daycare while you have PTSD. PTSD is different in each person. So, it would depend on your personal symptoms and whether or not they would affect your ability to do daycare properly. Only you and your doctor (because both of you should know your specific symptoms) would be able to determine whether or not your PTSD would negatively affect your ability to operate a licensed home daycare or work in a daycare center. I would suggest that you honestly evaluate your PTSD symptoms and decide if you believe you would be able to do daycare or not.
She was asking for a friend who lives in CA. She shouldn't have a problem since we don't need medical clearance in CA
Thriftylady 12:57 PM 09-06-2015
I think it's a big risk for a doctor to sign off on a patient who may or may not have mental issues. Without knowing me well, there is no way my doctor would have signed off on me. And I don't have issues preventing me from work, I just take a low dose antidepressant for an autoimmune condition. Doctors are getting sued for everything nowadays. I have seen them be more and more careful with what they sign their name to.
Sadly that is not always the case. I had a very dear friend die 8 years ago. She died from an overdose of prescription meds. She was a "doctor shopper" and had several doctors giving her medications for the same things. Mostly pain killers and muscle relaxants. I realized she had in issue when she asked me to come over and help her with something in her bedroom. She lived across the street and we often helped each other with little things. She pulled out what appeared to be a 13 gallon clear trash bag from under the bed FULL of pill bottles with pills. I asked her about it and she told me "that is all my meds". I knew there were some days she didn't seem "with it" and now I suspected why. I talked to her DH when I got a chance who told me he knew about it but didn't know what to do. A couple months later her DH and dad (dad lived two doors down from me), came over to tell me hell had broken loose, because DH called her doctors office wanting to talk to her doctor about her possible addiction. They refused to speak to him and called her and told her he had called. Things went very badly at home for awhile. That was about .12 years ago. At some point, she allowed DH to go to the doctor with her and it made her mad but he talked to the doctor. The doctor took her off of everything (that she told him she was on at least), and started over. Apparently she was some better according to her DH, I had moved so only had phone contact. 8 years ago she turned her ankle and got the doctor to give her pain pills. Hubby was worried but there was nothing he could do. He knew she was "off" that night and suspected she had over taken them but she got mad when he asked. They went to bed and he woke up in the middle of the night to find her not breathing. The official cause of death was a drug overdose.

Point being I can tell a doctor anything I want, then I can go to six others and do the same thing and they will all "doctor". But if I am not being honest and they don't know what they don't know, requiring a doctor to sign off does nothing. Sure they could be sued, but not sure how far that would even go. I mean say my dear friends family decided to sue. What would be the grounds? SHE went "doctor shopping", she obtained pain killers after it was determined they shouldn't be prescribed anymore. SHE took to many and caused her own death. The doctor did not have fault in that.
Unregistered 02:31 AM 03-28-2020
Don't let disabilities stop you. I was diagnosed with PTSD after I was assulted. I had trouble feeling safe again. I went to see a therapist and got medication to help. I feel better but kids actually make me feel happier. I also in the past tried to file for disability because of PTSD years ago because I had trouble focusing and stuff and a vocational expert actually recommended that I could do childcare. I have found peace working and serving children. If I ever feel stressed I practice deep breathing excercises. Do not let a disability take over your life. Get treatment and try your best to be a better you. I found working with kids is a passion of mine. Good luck to all facing disability challenges.
flying_babyb 07:29 AM 03-28-2020
ive had ptsd for many years. I have clinical depression too. Its never come up and I do just fine.
Tags:maryland regulations, ptsd
Reply Up