Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCG Potty Trained BUT...
WImom 11:11 AM 05-10-2011
first day here she peed twice in her pants and pooped her pants. Came two more days and was dry the whole day but I was good at making sure she went to the potty often. Now back today and she peed on my daycare carpeted floor during playtime.

She has never told me she has to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure what to do here. She's been using the potty since January and started here last tuesday.

Do I give it some more time? I'd hate to demand pull ups this soon. She is 2.5y
ChaserT27 11:16 AM 05-10-2011
I am going through the SAME thing with a 3 yr old. :0( Mind you, I believe this one has more issues than meets the eye..
I would keep up with the bringing to the potty and reciting "please tell me" theory. If after one week she doesn't show any signs of a typical full trained child...I would ask" until she has fully adjusted, I think we better use pull ups"
It is possible she was not fully trained when she started with you or she was but the change is affecting her...

Good luck!!
Unregistered 11:16 AM 05-10-2011
It's been my experience that my definition of "potty trained" isn't always the same as the parents definition. I don't consider a child to be potty trained until the child goes to the bathroom without accidents and without any prompting from me at all.

Don't feel bad about having the parents bring pull-ups. After all, it is your floor!
momma2girls 12:47 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
first day here she peed twice in her pants and pooped her pants. Came two more days and was dry the whole day but I was good at making sure she went to the potty often. Now back today and she peed on my daycare carpeted floor during playtime.

She has never told me she has to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure what to do here. She's been using the potty since January and started here last tuesday.

Do I give it some more time? I'd hate to demand pull ups this soon. She is 2.5y
I would never allow this, if the child cannot tell you or go on their own, they still need pullups or diapers on all the time!! They aren't potty trained, til they can go on their own, without your assistance. I have this in my contract now. Must be accident free for quite sometime, before they can go without pullups or diapers and go on their own without assistance.
nannyde 01:00 PM 05-10-2011
I would put her into pullups at the least if not diapers.

Two weeks accident free here

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm
daycare 01:02 PM 05-10-2011
Just like her article, I am very clear to define from day one potty trained.

This means that the child is 100% independent in the bathroom.
can unbutton pants if applies
can pull down pants on own
can wipe on own
can pull up pants
can flush toilet
can wash hands
can dry hands

all of this without asst from an adult.

If the child cannot do these things they are not potty trained and will need o be in pull ups. Think of your carpet and the germs that this child will spread. Not only that, think about all of the time that it will take away from the other children in care for you to clean it up. Also consider the cost that you will spend cleaning the carpet, professionally or on purchasing your own supplies to clean it yourself...

I sahy pull ups tomorrow!! After two weeks of no accidents back to undies
sharlan 01:05 PM 05-10-2011
I am going to go against the others since I am anti pullups. IMHO, they are nothing more than an expensive diaper. I've never had great success with them. It seems to take longer to potty train the kids.

I know it's a hassle, but I just see to it that the child goes to the bathroom every 1/2 hour (more if needed) until they start telling me when they have to go. I'll set a timer. If they have an accident, I make them help me clean it up.

I know it's frustrating as my 3 grandson peed on the bathroom floor this morning because he was mad at me. I gave him a paper towel to wipe the floor with, then I used an antibacterial after he left the bathroom.
daycare 01:12 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I am going to go against the others since I am anti pullups. IMHO, they are nothing more than an expensive diaper. I've never had great success with them. It seems to take longer to potty train the kids.

I know it's a hassle, but I just see to it that the child goes to the bathroom every 1/2 hour (more if needed) until they start telling me when they have to go. I'll set a timer. If they have an accident, I make them help me clean it up.

I know it's frustrating as my 3 grandson peed on the bathroom floor this morning because he was mad at me. I gave him a paper towel to wipe the floor with, then I used an antibacterial after he left the bathroom.
not trying to blast you ....but did I read that right? you make a child clean up their own stool or urine? I think that you could get into some real trouble for that with LIC. That could be considered abuse as well as endangerment if you are allwoing them to use chemicals to clean it up.....

You should check with LIC to make sure that having a child clean up thier own bowl or urine is acceptable
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 05-10-2011
I also require the child to be accident free for two weeks in my house to be labled "trained" and allowed to wear just underwear.

I also do NOT use pull-ups as they are kind of a marketing gimmick and just diapers you put on differently but diapers just the same. I do require the parents to use thick training underwear along with a plastic pant over them.

This way, there is no mess here or on my floor and the child can feel the wetness/mess against their skin.
nannyde 01:36 PM 05-10-2011

I don't like pullups either. They have one advantage and that is they don't have side clasps so the kid can get them up and down on their own. I rarely ever use them.

The rest of your post I disagree with. No half hour trips to the bathroom and never ever allow a kid to clean up urine or stool.
Mrs.Ky 04:15 PM 05-10-2011

I agree with you pull ups ARE diapers and are USELESS when it comes to training underwear is the only way to go. When training my 3 kids and ive trained 3 daycare kids and one will be ready soon I take them to the potty every hour and have them sit for 5 minutes (I do this till they start askingt o potty usually only takes a week or 2 for them to be trained) lots of postive praise when they go in there pants they are told big girls and boys dont pee or poop in there pants they go in the potty. To the poster above if I was the parent of a 2 and half year old girl and was potty trained and you wanted to put them back in pull ups I would not be happy. Girls can train as early as 18 months to 2 years old boys are usually 2 to 2 and half years old she is old enough to use the potty its probably because daycare is new take her every hour till she starts to ask you to potty.
nannyde 04:43 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
I agree with you pull ups ARE diapers and are USELESS when it comes to training underwear is the only way to go. When training my 3 kids and ive trained 3 daycare kids and one will be ready soon I take them to the potty every hour and have them sit for 5 minutes (I do this till they start askingt o potty usually only takes a week or 2 for them to be trained) lots of postive praise when they go in there pants they are told big girls and boys dont pee or poop in there pants they go in the potty. To the poster above if I was the parent of a 2 and half year old girl and was potty trained and you wanted to put them back in pull ups I would not be happy. Girls can train as early as 18 months to 2 years old boys are usually 2 to 2 and half years old she is old enough to use the potty its probably because daycare is new take her every hour till she starts to ask you to potty.
My experience is completely opposite of yours. The girls usually train in the first quarter of the third year and the boys in the second quarter of the third year. Always exceptions but this is the average for kids here.

I do not do cloth underwear and I don't take them to the potty every hour. I also don't allow parents to decide whether or not the child has access to pee or poop on my carpet or equipment. I would be very upset with a parent that wanted their kid to be in any kind of cloth instead of paper diapers because they have been successful at home. One accident and she would have been in diapers immediately. She wouldn't have had a second accident here until she had at least been completely accident free for two full weeks because she would be in diapers.

The cost of cleaning up the carpet and equipment is way more important than a parents being upset because a child was put back into diapers.

Our differences may be because you have done six total potty trainings. I've done 31 years of training and have had WAY too many parents saying the words "he's trained" and found out that their version of trained was the kid peeing in the potty at home a couple of times. Just because this Mom says the child is trained doesn't mean she's able to be in public without her Mom and stay accident free.

I would also find out if potty training was an issue at any previous providers house. I've heard MANY stories of parents demanding their child be in undies at day care and leaving a provider if they don't get it. There are many parents that believe if they force training on the day care the kid will start to do it at home. They want it done on the day care clock so the kid can learn somewhere where the parent doesn't have to clean the mess if it doesn't work.

There's a WHOLE LOT of lying and overexaggeration going on in the parent to provider world in the area of potty training. It's second only to the lies that come about kids health.

When you allow the parents declaration of the child's abilities to determine what you do you often end up with a lot of work and damage to your home and equipment. It's a risky business to take a new client who you barely know and go on their word when it comes to your couch. What IS important is what the child has done at day care. That's the only truth that I would be concerned about. Even if she is completely trained at home she is obviously not completely trained in public without her parents. THAT'S the trained that matters not the trained at home... or the parents version of the trained at home.
sharlan 05:20 PM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
not trying to blast you ....but did I read that right? you make a child clean up their own stool or urine? I think that you could get into some real trouble for that with LIC. That could be considered abuse as well as endangerment if you are allwoing them to use chemicals to clean it up.....

You should check with LIC to make sure that having a child clean up thier own bowl or urine is acceptable
This was my grandson and the reason I made him wipe it up was because he INTENTIONALLY peed on the floor in front of the toilet. (He was mad because I refused to give him a snack. He refused to eat the breakfast his mother gave him and the breakfast I gave him.) I gave him a paper towel, no chemicals, and washed his hands afterwards. I would never, ever, have a child clean up stool regardless of the child or the reason.
sharlan 05:32 PM 05-10-2011
I've lost count of the number of children that I've helped potty train over the past 34 years. I will not "assist" the parent unless they are fully committed. I feel this is an area where we have to have a united front. IMHO, if the parent isn't 100% committed, than it won't work for any of us. I won't spend 10 hrs a day working with the child for the parent to go home and put diapers on the child.

I usually start around the 2nd birthday, generally with good success.

We all have different ways of running our daycares, different ways of handling things. There is no one size fits all when it comes to children.
Mrs.Ky 06:21 AM 05-11-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
My experience is completely opposite of yours. The girls usually train in the first quarter of the third year and the boys in the second quarter of the third year. Always exceptions but this is the average for kids here.

I do not do cloth underwear and I don't take them to the potty every hour. I also don't allow parents to decide whether or not the child has access to pee or poop on my carpet or equipment. I would be very upset with a parent that wanted their kid to be in any kind of cloth instead of paper diapers because they have been successful at home. One accident and she would have been in diapers immediately. She wouldn't have had a second accident here until she had at least been completely accident free for two full weeks because she would be in diapers.

The cost of cleaning up the carpet and equipment is way more important than a parents being upset because a child was put back into diapers.

Our differences may be because you have done six total potty trainings. I've done 31 years of training and have had WAY too many parents saying the words "he's trained" and found out that their version of trained was the kid peeing in the potty at home a couple of times. Just because this Mom says the child is trained doesn't mean she's able to be in public without her Mom and stay accident free.

I would also find out if potty training was an issue at any previous providers house. I've heard MANY stories of parents demanding their child be in undies at day care and leaving a provider if they don't get it. There are many parents that believe if they force training on the day care the kid will start to do it at home. They want it done on the day care clock so the kid can learn somewhere where the parent doesn't have to clean the mess if it doesn't work.

There's a WHOLE LOT of lying and overexaggeration going on in the parent to provider world in the area of potty training. It's second only to the lies that come about kids health.

When you allow the parents declaration of the child's abilities to determine what you do you often end up with a lot of work and damage to your home and equipment. It's a risky business to take a new client who you barely know and go on their word when it comes to your couch. What IS important is what the child has done at day care. That's the only truth that I would be concerned about. Even if she is completely trained at home she is obviously not completely trained in public without her parents. THAT'S the trained that matters not the trained at home... or the parents version of the trained at home.
Oh no I dont watch children who are 3 years old and in a diaper thats just gross to me a child CAN and will go potty between the ages of 1 and half and 2 and half. My little girl was 20 months old and decided she didnt wanna wear diapers and use the potty, the 2 other dcg I had potty trained right at 2 years old all 2 girls only took a week to train and my girl only took 5 days, my 2 boys where 2 and half they took about 2 weeks same as the other dcb I had. Also it the average age of potty training is 3 now because thats what the diaper company wants you to think to make more money off there diapers pampers even make size 7 diapers which is insane. Back in the day the average was 1 and half to 2 years old my Sis and me where trained at 18 months old peope do things so different these days. To me TRAINING a child is showing them how to use the potty taking them every hour having them sit for 5 minutes all my kids and daycare kids show signs WAY BEFORE 3 years old and thats when I start it only takes a week or 2 before they ask to potty and I dont have to take them every hour anymore yes there are accidents during the 2 weeks I clean it up and move on as pull ups just hold children back from training they might as well be in diapers. I know everyone has a different meathod of training there really is no right and wrong but I know what worked for my kids and daycare kids and I will stick to it. I also know if you wait till a kid is ready to train themselves you will have a 3 or 4 year old pooping in there pants.
Tags:potty trained
Reply Up