Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Movement Monitors
midaycare 07:20 AM 07-29-2016
Does anyone use movement monitors on infants (for SIDS).

I'm starting an infant in a few weeks, and another one a few months after that. I had an Angelcare Monitor for the previous ones.

I'm just curious if anyone else uses them, and what brands/types.
finsup 09:40 AM 07-29-2016
I've used an angel are one in the past but it broke and I haven't ended up replacing it. I take babies, but feel pretty confident in just physically checking them often. However, I have heard good things about sunza ones. If I ever go with a motion style of monitor again, I'm pretty sure this is the direction I would go in.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 07-29-2016
We are NOT allowed to use any of these types of devices.

They create a false sense of security and nothing replaces actually physical checks on infants while sleeping.

We would be cited and/or fined if we used any of them.
midaycare 09:59 AM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
I've used an angel are one in the past but it broke and I haven't ended up replacing it. I take babies, but feel pretty confident in just physically checking them often. However, I have heard good things about sunza ones. If I ever go with a motion style of monitor again, I'm pretty sure this is the direction I would go in.
I was thinking of switching to this.
midaycare 10:01 AM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are NOT allowed to use any of these types of devices.

They create a false sense of security and nothing replaces actually physical checks on infants while sleeping.

We would be cited and/or fined if we used any of them.
Who is talking about replacing physical checks?

Where I live, we are required to do 15 minute checks, but a lot can happen in 15 minutes.
Blackcat31 10:04 AM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Who is talking about replacing physical checks?

Where I live, we are required to do 15 minute checks, but a lot can happen in 15 minutes.
I dunno... I didn't say you should. (?)

I am just sharing what my licensing department tells us about these items. We have to have infants sleep within sight at all times. (NOT saying you should)

I think they are great and as a parent, I'd have used one in a for sure!
midaycare 10:24 AM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I dunno... I didn't say you should. (?)

I am just sharing what my licensing department tells us about these items. We have to have infants sleep within sight at all times. (NOT saying you should)

I think they are great and as a parent, I'd have used one in a for sure!
I used one as a parent and loved it. I felt tremendous piece of mind as a new parent.

As a daycare provider, hearing horribly tragic stories about dck's who die of SIDS during daycare hours, I need to use this for my sanity currently. I'm not saying it's100% foul proof, but it's an extra step.

I also have infants sleep within sight, I just am not taking any risks. Things happen so fast. I could be doing a particularly nasty diaper change, or sending a dck out the door, and miss something.

Now in Michigan they are in the process (or maybe it's done already) of making a law where home daycares will be held responsible for deaths such as SIDS, and there will be serious jail time.

No thanks!!!
finsup 10:40 AM 07-29-2016
I used one as a parent and loved it. I felt tremendous piece of mind as a new parent.

As a daycare provider, hearing horribly tragic stories about dck's who die of SIDS during daycare hours, I need to use this for my sanity currently. I'm not saying it's100% foul proof, but it's an extra step.

I also have infants sleep within sight, I just am not taking any risks. Things happen so fast. I could be doing a particularly nasty diaper change, or sending a dck out the door, and miss something.

Now in Michigan they are in the process (or maybe it's done alreaof making a law where home daycares will be held responsible for deaths such as SIDS, and there will be serious jail time.

No thanks!!!
Wait, what?! That is absolutely insane. A provider who looses a dck to sids is no more responsible than a parent who looses a child to sids Assuming safe sleep, provider sober, frequent checks etc, all that good stuff is going on.
midaycare 10:48 AM 07-29-2016
Wait, what?! That is absolutely insane. A provider who looses a dck to sids is no more responsible than a parent who looses a child to sids Assuming safe sleep, provider sober, frequent checks etc, all that good stuff is going on.
Not anymore. I will do a search for the law. Itbwas approved in May.
finsup 10:58 AM 07-29-2016
Not anymore. I will do a search for the law. Itbwas approved in May.
That's so unfair to you guys
midaycare 11:06 AM 07-29-2016
I can't make it clicky, but you can do a search for Cooper Fales and Bridges Day Care in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Laws were passed in April/May that if you have a child die in your home and you have ANY state violations - doesn't have to be related to the death, the state could come in and find your exit sign is in the wrong place - and you can face up to 20 YEARS in jail.
NillaWafers 11:13 AM 07-29-2016
I can't make it clicky, but you can do a search for Cooper Fales and Bridges Day Care in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Laws were passed in April/May that if you have a child die in your home and you have ANY state violations - doesn't have to be related to the death, the state could come in and find your exit sign is in the wrong place - and you can face up to 20 YEARS in jail.
Wow I would not be taking infants at all in that case
midaycare 11:28 AM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I really thought long and hard about it. I tried to fight against the law, too.

Ultimately, kids who start with me as infants have a much easier time than the kids who come in at 1, 2, 3. I just need ALL safeguards and measures in place before the next one arrives.
jenboo 11:41 AM 07-29-2016
That's ridiculous. There isn't even a cause for sids. How could they charge you for it if everything is done correctly.

From my research (which isn't much) I've read that if sids is going to happen, it's going to happen. You can't save a baby who dies from sids. In this case, a monitor won't do anything.
I'm not sure how accurate this is though.
laundrymom 12:20 PM 07-29-2016
If that happened here I will go to a no infant program. And take the two extra kids I'm allowed to have by not keeping infants.
midaycare 12:32 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
If that happened here I will go to a no infant program. And take the two extra kids I'm allowed to have by not keeping infants.
I want those ratios! MI stinks. 6 only. But I know there are a few places that only allow 5, so... I try not to complain.
AmyKidsCo 01:17 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
That's ridiculous. There isn't even a cause for sids. How could they charge you for it if everything is done correctly.

From my research (which isn't much) I've read that if sids is going to happen, it's going to happen. You can't save a baby who dies from sids. In this case, a monitor won't do anything.
I'm not sure how accurate this is though.
I did an in-depth online SIDS training a year or so ago and that's one of the biggest take-aways I got from it. They said SIDS is like a heart attack - there's no way to know who's susceptible to it until it happens, and you really can't prevent it. Unfortunately, unlike heart attacks there's no second chance with SIDS.
Nurse Jackie 02:15 PM 07-29-2016
its just not worth it
midaycare 03:00 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I did an in-depth online SIDS training a year or so ago and that's one of the biggest take-aways I got from it. They said SIDS is like a heart attack - there's no way to know who's susceptible to it until it happens, and you really can't prevent it. Unfortunately, unlike heart attacks there's no second chance with SIDS.
So sad. As daycare providers, I believe we have to be more and more vigilant about crossing our "i's" and dotting our "t's". That's one of the reasons I have a security system visible for just me and backed up. I sure hope nothing ever happens, but if it does, I'm prepared.

I had a friend go through a SIDS loss. She owned her own daycare and the child died at her home. Her daycare was shut down for a very, very long time during the investigation. No one wants to tell parents these things just happen. Parents want accoubtability when their child dies.
midaycare 03:01 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
its just not worth it
I'm starting to regret my decision to take on these little ones!
Mike 05:17 PM 07-29-2016
SIDS is one reason I'm thinking about doing 2+ when I start. I love taking care of babies and don't even mind diaper changes, but if I ever had one who died from SIDS, even if I didn't get in any trouble, I don't think I'd be able to do it anymore. It would be too hard on me. Where I'm moving to for my new business has a huge demand for daycare, so I'm sure that even if I limit my ages to 2+, I'll get clients.
Unregistered 05:31 PM 07-29-2016
I use the owlet. It provide oxygen levels and heart rate of the child at all times.
midaycare 07:39 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I use the owlet. It provide oxygen levels and heart rate of the child at all times.
I've never heard of that, I will look into it, thanks.
midaycare 07:41 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
SIDS is one reason I'm thinking about doing 2+ when I start. I love taking care of babies and don't even mind diaper changes, but if I ever had one who died from SIDS, even if I didn't get in any trouble, I don't think I'd be able to do it anymore. It would be too hard on me. Where I'm moving to for my new business has a huge demand for daycare, so I'm sure that even if I limit my ages to 2+, I'll get clients.
We have a job that has super high responsibility with pay that does not quite match... I think you could probably partner with someone who does the younger crowd and do really well!
Mike 08:00 PM 07-29-2016
We have a job that has super high responsibility with pay that does not quite match... I think you could probably partner with someone who does the younger crowd and do really well!
That could be a good idea because one thing I've noticed here is that a lot of people do specialize in specific age ranges. Find someone nearby that prefers the little tikes and work together. Thanks for the suggestion.

Child care pay definitely doesn't fit the responsibilities. That's why most of us do it because we love kids.
Nurse Jackie 11:05 PM 07-29-2016
I actually prefer the 1-4 age but its always easier for me to fill an 12mos and under spot *sighs*. Don't get me wrong infants are adorable but they can be a lot of work.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 07-30-2016
I've never heard of that, I will look into it, thanks.
It's pretty expensive, but the best thing. With an app on my phone, I can see the child's heart rate and oxygen level at all times and keep the records of it. The baby wears an infant sock, and I have them wear that sock through age 1. It also provides a level of comfort for the parents knowing I have it.
NillaWafers 12:17 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's pretty expensive, but the best thing. With an app on my phone, I can see the child's heart rate and oxygen level at all times and keep the records of it. The baby wears an infant sock, and I have them wear that sock through age 1. It also provides a level of comfort for the parents knowing I have it.
I forgot about that. I resolved if I do ever take an infant I will definitely be buying this. Won't replace checks of course. But peace of mind between those 15 minutes.
Tags:movement moniter sids, sids, sids prevention
Reply Up