Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Phone Calls - Rude
gracepatiencelove 11:03 AM 06-23-2014
I just had a woman call wanting care from 4-12. She wanted weekends, too. I'm not open Sundays. She got rude and said, I need Sundays. Okay, good for you. I do, too!

She got all huffy when I suggested other home daycares in the area and was like, "I need you to take him on these days/hours"

again... not happening!

I cannot believe someone would ask me for special, special, special daycare and be a rude person when I ask them to a.) comrpomise or b.) look elsewhere.

KTHXBYE CRAZY LADY!!!

I have never been so flabbergasted... I kept saying, "umm..." trying to think of ways to rephrase "no, I am not open on Sundays." because she was acting like *I* was stupid when I kept saying that!! Just complaing... bad Monday.
Play Care 11:07 AM 06-23-2014
Some people!!

Several years ago I got a call for day care. When the woman heard my closing time (4:45) she got MAD. Kept saying "but I work until 5:00!" Um, good for you? My day ends at 4:45
MarinaVanessa 11:20 AM 06-23-2014
It never ceases to amaze me when people just feel like they're entitled to whatever they want. I just don't get how some people ever got the idea that they get to decide another persons work hours because THEY need it to be tgat schedule
hope 12:09 PM 06-23-2014
People feel so entitled. I had a woman call once asking for information for her grandchild. She said her daughter was starting a new job and the hours changed frequently and included nights and weekends. I told her I was monday through Friday daytime hours and my rates. She started getting very hostile with me asking how her daughter can afford that and who would watch the child at night and weekend? Ummm, I didn't have this child, this is not my problem to solve. Phone call lasted way too long as she went about her rant.
Wubby 12:30 PM 06-23-2014
I had a parent call, asked great questions, seemed caring and knowledgeable about care, child seemed like a good fit, and then mom yells " Hey, you little sh#t I'm on the phone, shut the f$%& up." Yep ended that call fast.
Unregistered 12:34 PM 06-23-2014
I enrolled a family who needed me to open exactly at 7:00a.m.,my opening time. I usually don't have kids arrive until 7:30a.m.-8:30a.m. but no big deal because 7:00a.m. is the earliest I'm available.
At the interview I let her know that she would be the first one arriving and that I open promptly at 7:00a.m.,not 6:55a.m.,not 6:45a.m.!
First day she shows up at 6:50a.m.,I ignore her and just open at 7:00a.m.,next day,its 6:40a.m.,again I remind her.
Fine for the next week then she shows up at 6:00a.m.!!! Banged on my door,rang my bell,called me ten times.I got up half asleep and scrambled around to wake up.
Finally at 6:20a.m. I opened the door,handed her all her child's belongings and a term paper,in my pajamas.lol
I never even said a word,just opened the door,handed her everything and shut the door.
It took everything in me not to laugh.
She had the nerve to keep calling me and begging me to open earlier because her chikd loved it here and she promised to "try" to follow the rules.Haha!!!
I don't open at 6a.m. lady,I never have and I never will!!!
nannyde 12:39 PM 06-23-2014
Say it with me ladies. i don't provide that service

Rinse and repeat
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
People feel so entitled. I had a woman call once asking for information for her grandchild. She said her daughter was starting a new job and the hours changed frequently and included nights and weekends. I told her I was monday through Friday daytime hours and my rates. She started getting very hostile with me asking how her daughter can afford that and who would watch the child at night and weekend? Ummm, I didn't have this child, this is not my problem to solve. Phone call lasted way too long as she went about her rant.
Seriously my response would have been " I don't know. I'd ask your daughter. She had her and these are all things that she should have thought about before having her child and getting the job she did."

As a matter of fact, Grandma, why don't YOU watch YOUR grandchild on night's and weekends. You know, since you're so concerned and all
spud912 03:14 PM 06-23-2014
I've had a lot of rude pay negotiation calls.
Them: How much do you charge?
Me: $135 per week, which includes healthy homemade meals and preschool curriculum
Them: Well on Craigslist there are some people who charge $80 per week.
Me: Yes, I am aware of those ads. I highly doubt they provide the same services that I provide.
Them: If my child brings in their own food, can you charge $80?
Me: No, the fees are set and budgeted so I can provide the same level of care for all children.
Them: Your fees are way too high.
Me: Actually, my rates are lower than similar in-home child care, significantly lower than centers and $10 higher than your average in-home child care that does not provide the same quality of food and preschool services.

This usually goes on and on until I say "I don't think we are the right fit for each other."

At that point, they usually ask when they can come in for an interview
Sugar Magnolia 03:42 AM 06-24-2014
"Ok, that's your rate, but what is your rate if I'm a single mom?"

"it's the same rate"

"YOU DISCRIMINATE AGAINST POOR PEOPLE AND SINGLE MOMS" (yelling)

Click

Dial tone.
Angelsj 06:21 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:

"it's the same rate"

Click

Dial tone.
That entire mindset that you are "discriminating" against xxxx because you don't give a special deal. Ugh. Anytime I hear something along those lines, I am done with that family.
gracepatiencelove 10:45 AM 06-24-2014
guess who called back with a verrry sweet message saying she could probably maybe take sundays off?!
gracepatiencelove 10:47 AM 06-24-2014

"it's the same rate"

Click

Dial tone.
Oh my gosh ahahaha

That one is kinda funny!
gracepatiencelove 10:47 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I enrolled a family who needed me to open exactly at 7:00a.m.,my opening time. I usually don't have kids arrive until 7:30a.m.-8:30a.m. but no big deal because 7:00a.m. is the earliest I'm available.
At the interview I let her know that she would be the first one arriving and that I open promptly at 7:00a.m.,not 6:55a.m.,not 6:45a.m.!
First day she shows up at 6:50a.m.,I ignore her and just open at 7:00a.m.,next day,its 6:40a.m.,again I remind her.
Fine for the next week then she shows up at 6:00a.m.!!! Banged on my door,rang my bell,called me ten times.I got up half asleep and scrambled around to wake up.
Finally at 6:20a.m. I opened the door,handed her all her child's belongings and a term paper,in my pajamas.lol
I never even said a word,just opened the door,handed her everything and shut the door.
It took everything in me not to laugh.
She had the nerve to keep calling me and begging me to open earlier because her chikd loved it here and she promised to "try" to follow the rules.Haha!!!
I don't open at 6a.m. lady,I never have and I never will!!!
That is SOOO incredibly rude!! Good for you!!
KidGrind 11:09 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Say it with me ladies. i don't provide that service

Rinse and repeat
I am practicing now.
Sugar Magnolia 11:57 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
guess who called back with a verrry sweet message saying she could probably maybe take sundays off?!
Don't walk...... RUN!
Sugar Magnolia 12:00 PM 06-24-2014
Hmmm, "RUN!" shouldn't be a bad word.
Meeko 12:41 PM 06-24-2014

"it's the same rate"

Click

Dial tone.
I've had this exact conversation before too....
Michael 03:11 PM 06-24-2014
Hmmm, "RUN!" shouldn't be a bad word.
It's not but it picked it up as a Russian email extension .RU

I removed it from censure.
Reply Up