Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You?
NoMoreJuice! 09:59 AM 02-05-2016
So we are members at a children's museum that is conveniently located across the street from my house. We take the kids there once or twice a week, and have a great routine where we walk in, sit with our backs on the wall, and take off coats one at a time. Well today, we didn't realize they had painted the wall earlier in the morning and it was still wet. The kids sat with their backs on the wall like they're trained to do, and now have beige paint on all their coats. Looking at it later, I did see a "wet paint" sign, but it was almost to the top of the 10 foot ceiling, and I didn't look up because I was looking down at all my little people. The entire hallway, about 100 feet or so, was painted and they were still working on the far end.

So there are 12 kids involved in this, and I just can't afford to buy all new coats. They range from thrift store coats to $115 North Face coats.

Would you:
1. Complain to the children's museum, because really that was a huge lack of common sense to paint a wall right before two hundred children show up for the day, and ask them to replace the coats;

2. Apologize to parents and offer to replace the coats, hoping that most of them realize I wasn't to blame and letting me off the hook;

3. Just replace all the coats and chalk it up to a business expense?
Silly Songs 10:04 AM 02-05-2016
I would talk to the museum first. Of course let the parents know, maybe you can pay something toward the coats and the museum can reimburse you. Please ask the parents to give you a receipt if they buy new jackets. I hope they will donate the old coat if they no longer want them.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:09 AM 02-05-2016
Maybe try rubbing alcohol to get the paint off? You just rub it on and the paint breaks down and then launder. If you google it, there are a few options to get paint out of clothes and alcohol based seem to do the best.

On a side note, my daughter got silly putty on her Vikings, Jared Allen jersey, so my hubby was so sad. I found out that wd-40 and dish soap are the way to go to get silly putty out of clothes! The internets are awesome!
Josiegirl 10:11 AM 02-05-2016
Well I personally think that's stupidity on the part of the painters for either not blocking the whole area off or posting signs on stands every 10' or so feet. How they posted was NOT smart. I'll bet your kids aren't the only ones who went home with beige paint on themselves today.

I'm so sorry this happened. I would definitely talk with the museum first, then the painters but I'll bet they all say they're not responsible. I'm not sure what I'd do, probably offer to help dcps replace the coats. That just plain $ucks.
daycarediva 10:46 AM 02-05-2016
OH NO!

I would take pictures of the sign in relation to the bench, as well as the coats. I would estimate the cost of replacing them, and then I would contact the museum director.

IMHO- the bench should have been either moved or roped off.

I wouldn't offer to replace coats though- my parents all know there is a probability things will be ruined here. 80% bring thrift store or hand me down everything. ONE child, always dressed to the hilt, is ALWAYS staining things. Outside today she sprayed the front of her north face coat and WHITE north face boots with snow paint. I'm NOT looking forward to that conversation AT ALL.
kendallina 10:59 AM 02-05-2016
Oh man, this sucks. Sorry you have to deal with it...

I agree that I wouldn't immediately offer to replace the coats. I would take pics of the sign in relation to where you all were and speak to the museum staff right away. I would apologize to the parents and let them know that you're trying to rectify it with the museum.

In the meantime, I would contact a dry cleaner or look up some possible home remedies to see if there's anything you can do to get them cleaned. I would probably offer to pay for cleaning, if there's a place that can do it.
Blackcat31 11:05 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
OH NO!

I would take pictures of the sign in relation to the bench, as well as the coats. I would estimate the cost of replacing them, and then I would contact the museum director.

IMHO- the bench should have been either moved or roped off.

I wouldn't offer to replace coats though- my parents all know there is a probability things will be ruined here. 80% bring thrift store or hand me down everything. ONE child, always dressed to the hilt, is ALWAYS staining things. Outside today she sprayed the front of her north face coat and WHITE north face boots with snow paint. I'm NOT looking forward to that conversation AT ALL.

Personally this is the direction I was leaning too... ^^^^

I think the museum should bear the burden of replacing or compensating parents.

I also think I'd have HUGE issues replacing a $100+ coat for a young child. Parents know we get dirty and messy here.
childcaremom 11:06 AM 02-05-2016
I would explain to the parents what happened. Maybe offer some suggestions as to cleaning. Leave it at that.

As a parent, I would not blame you. I would chalk it up to "Whoops." and carry on. My child would continue to wear the coat for the rest of the season and we would have a good story to tell about the mark.

(I also realize I am may not be most parents. )

Good luck with whatever you decide.
MunchkinWrangler 11:10 AM 02-05-2016
Yeah, I personally think it's ridiculous to buy an article of clothing that expensive for a child that will only wear it one season.
Accidents happen, I wouldn't replace but maybe offer to try to clean them up? I would talk to the museum also, it didn't sound like they had the area properly blocked off! Not that they'll replace anything but so they plan better for the future.
Ariana 11:17 AM 02-05-2016
My kids get more than one season out of their $100 coats . I think it is well worth the money.

Anyway as a parent with a kid in a $100 coat I would never expect my DCP or teacher to replace the coat because of a clear accident. I would be very appreciative that you were trying to resolve the issue with the museum but I would be either trying to get the paint off or would just replace the coat. Maybe if I couldn't afford another coat I'd be pretty miffed. These coats may not be brand new either though.

Tough situation for sure. So crappy that this happened. I hope the museum takes the responsibility.
NoMoreJuice! 11:42 AM 02-05-2016
Thanks everybody for your replies (and sympathy!).

I considered talking to the museum director, but honestly she seems to have such poor judgement I don't know if it would accomplish anything. She's brand new, and I bet this was a rough way to break her in, because I heard so many parents/nannies, etc griping. I've decided in order to maintain the good relationship I've always had with them, I'm going to let it go. I was furious at first, but have since downgraded to severely annoyed. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll just be slightly irritated.

All my parents are so wonderful, I think I'll just beg their forgiveness and try to clean the coats. I've been googling, and I tried nail polish remover like one site said, but it didn't work. Surely it's latex paint?
mommyneedsadayoff 12:03 PM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:

I considered talking to the museum director, but honestly she seems to have such poor judgement I don't know if it would accomplish anything. She's brand new, and I bet this was a rough way to break her in, because I heard so many parents/nannies, etc griping. I've decided in order to maintain the good relationship I've always had with them, I'm going to let it go. I was furious at first, but have since downgraded to severely annoyed. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll just be slightly irritated.

All my parents are so wonderful, I think I'll just beg their forgiveness and try to clean the coats. I've been googling, and I tried nail polish remover like one site said, but it didn't work. Surely it's latex paint?
try rubbing alcohol
midaycare 12:49 PM 02-05-2016
I actually have in my contract, "We play and get dirty here. Do mot send in clothes/coats you will mind if they get ruined".

I'm sooo sorry about what happened.
Unregistered 02:16 PM 02-07-2016
I think many of you are being too cavalier. My children have expensive coats, because as many of you should know cheap coats break easily. Also, the children didn't just get paint on their coats. They got paint on their coats because of following the OP's instructions. I would be annoyed and want to be offered a full payment/new coat. Also, while some of you may be ok with literally coating minors with dangerous chemicals. I'm not. I don't want my children wearing paint or chemical cleaners.
Ariana 04:04 PM 02-07-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think many of you are being too cavalier. My children have expensive coats, because as many of you should know cheap coats break easily. Also, the children didn't just get paint on their coats. They got paint on their coats because of following the OP's instructions. I would be annoyed and want to be offered a full payment/new coat. Also, while some of you may be ok with literally coating minors with dangerous chemicals. I'm not. I don't want my children wearing paint or chemical cleaners.
In this particular case I would be asking your child to stay home on days when we are going on outings.
Josiegirl 04:15 PM 02-07-2016
I still think either the museum or crew of painters should hold the majority of responsibility in this one.
finsup 06:11 PM 02-07-2016

Wish I knew what would work! But from a parent perspective I wouldn't be mad. Accidents happen. We *do* buy expensive winter gear (one of the few things we buy new and not from thirft stores etc) but that's because it holds up to tons of use and can be passed down to each child. Definitely worth it, especially as my kids get older and play harder. But at the end it's just paint, it doesn't effect the quality of it. Good luck! Hopefully everyone will understand or you find a way to get it out!
Josiegirl 02:17 AM 02-08-2016
Those instructions of OP's were to prevent the dcks from running around and tearing up the place, so she doesn't lose someone, have a dck break something or trip somebody. To me, having paint on my child's coat is a small price to pay. The area was NOT marked off adequately, IMO. This accident would fall under my policies that state Do Not Send Your Child In Expensive Clothes Because Accidents/Play Happen. Course hindsight is always a wonderful thing. But a parent who puts a coat on their child that costs a lot of money(as with all clothes/shoes/boots,etc.) should probably think about sending that child in a thrift store buy and save the good stuff for their own personal use. I used to dress my kids in yard sale stuff all through their younger years. If something was destroyed, no big deal. Yes, I'm sure quality clothes last lots longer but when kids are little isn't the time to invest in stuff like that. It's like giving a 6 yo a cell phone, most likely it's going to get broken or left somewhere. I'm not attacking anyone here for their opinions and these are just my own opinions.

What if your child was in elementary school, following teacher's orders given the same scenario? Would you expect the school to pay and I wonder if they would??? Or if they're on the playground and their coat gets ruined, what would you expect the school to do? I'm probably coming off as snarky but honestly curious?
Unregistered 02:37 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Those instructions of OP's were to prevent the dcks from running around and tearing up the place, so she doesn't lose someone, have a dck break something or trip somebody. To me, having paint on my child's coat is a small price to pay. The area was NOT marked off adequately, IMO. This accident would fall under my policies that state Do Not Send Your Child In Expensive Clothes Because Accidents/Play Happen. Course hindsight is always a wonderful thing. But a parent who puts a coat on their child that costs a lot of money(as with all clothes/shoes/boots,etc.) should probably think about sending that child in a thrift store buy and save the good stuff for their own personal use. I used to dress my kids in yard sale stuff all through their younger years. If something was destroyed, no big deal. Yes, I'm sure quality clothes last lots longer but when kids are little isn't the time to invest in stuff like that. It's like giving a 6 yo a cell phone, most likely it's going to get broken or left somewhere. I'm not attacking anyone here for their opinions and these are just my own opinions.

What if your child was in elementary school, following teacher's orders given the same scenario? Would you expect the school to pay and I wonder if they would??? Or if they're on the playground and their coat gets ruined, what would you expect the school to do? I'm probably coming off as snarky but honestly curious?
Since you asked, you (and a lot of people who responded after me) are coming off as petty and jealous. Maybe I'm just fortunate that I don't consider a new coat (or any more expensive than thrift) an "investment". It's ok. This reminds me of my family, I thought certain things were investments and they thought lotto tickets and beanie babies were...

To the first example, yes, I would expect the teacher or school to pay. The child was told to stand where they got paint. The child could have held their coat or put it in a bookbag or something. To the playground situation, no. I just don't like the attitude of "I would replace the coats if they were cheap, but they're not. So, I'm not going to" a lot of poster had. If it were reversed "I'm ONLY going to replace expensive coats", everyone would be crying foul.
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 02-08-2016
Since you asked, you (and a lot of people who responded after me) are coming off as petty and jealous. Maybe I'm just fortunate that I don't consider a new coat (or any more expensive than thrift) an "investment". It's ok. This reminds me of my family, I thought certain things were investments and they thought lotto tickets and beanie babies were...

To the first example, yes, I would expect the teacher or school to pay. The child was told to stand where they got paint. The child could have held their coat or put it in a bookbag or something. To the playground situation, no. I just don't like the attitude of "I would replace the coats if they were cheap, but they're not. So, I'm not going to" a lot of poster had. If it were reversed "I'm ONLY going to replace expensive coats", everyone would be crying foul.
Petty and jealous? oy. If you looked back to read one of my original posts on this topic, I suggested she try to meet the parents and offer to help pay for the coats. And I never said I would replace cheap coats vs. expensive coats. If people want to buy their children top of the line stuff, that is definitely a personal choice, just as my choice to use easily replaceable things when my kids were little. All I suggested was that when kids are little they ruin things and break things, the risks are greater. Granted, this all happened because they were following certain rules that they have followed every time they visit the museum. IF they'd had signs placed sensibly this would not have happened.

Could they have done something different, such as place their coats in a book bag or held them?? Probably so but as I said hindsight is a wonderful thing. The OP certainly didn't expect fresh paint and I'm 99.99% sure she didn't see it.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term investment but it's what came to my mind. But when you buy an expensive coat, hoping to use it for a long time and then let a younger child use it, etc., then yes, it is 'sort of' an investment. And I did do that with certain items with my own kids. We're all different with different opinions but don't call me petty and jealous.
Play Care 02:53 AM 02-08-2016

Personally I would totally approach the museum and expect some compensation.
I wouldn't expect the provider to take responsibility for something that was completely out of their hands.
But the museum admin needs to know what happened at the very least. Keep in mind they probably have insurance for these sorts of things.
Mad_Pistachio 06:21 AM 02-08-2016
as many of you should know cheap coats break easily.
how cheap is cheap? yes, I am asking for a price tag.
my daughter wears some $15-20 jacket from Walmart to daycare, and not a single thread fell off. I couldn't care less if she soils it with paint (or anything else, really), especially since the season is almost over.
and yes, she does have more expensive jackets, courtesy of my mom, that she wears to less messy places like stores, church, and g-ma's place. this is what sold me on my daycare in the first place: the director said, "bring her in something she can soil, and you can toss: we get messy here."
to me, wearing $100+ jacket to daycare means that parents are either showing off, or they really don't care about paint stains because they can afford another $100+ jacket. I have seen both scenarios.

cavalier, schmavalier... it's a friggin' daycare, and kids get messy. and if they didn't, I'd be worried.
Thriftylady 06:40 AM 02-08-2016
Then you wouldn't be offered a spot in my daycare. I don't care what kids wear at home, but my handbook says "children should come to care in comfortable play clothes. We have lots of fun at daycare, and sometimes having fun means getting dirty. I cannot promise that your child's clothing will not become dirty or stained, and I cannot be responsible for damages to clothing". It is daycare, not a fashion show.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:50 AM 02-08-2016
Kids get dirty at daycare. They play on stuff and coats get ripped, ect. If you are worried about the expensive coat, buy a $10-20 coat from walmart or good will and send them in that. Not sure what you mean by coating kids with chemicals?? It is paint and there are plenty of ways to remove paint without using harmful chemicals if you chose to do try to clean it. Main thing is, if you want your kid's clothes replaced every time they get ruined or dirty, you will have a hard time finding a daycare who will accomodate that and not up your rate to account for the extra money.
Josiegirl 09:31 AM 02-08-2016
Another thought is IF OP was expected to replace all those coats out of her own pocket, at an average of 50 bucks a shot, 6 dcks is $300, 10 dcks 600. I know I couldn't afford it. That's not being petty, just realistic.
And I firmly believe none of my own kids have ever been to a school that would replace a child's coat if it got ruined.
Play Care 09:46 AM 02-08-2016
These are classic, troll passive aggressive responses. (see my translations below...)

Originally Posted by :
because as many of you should know cheap coats break easily.
ie: "I'm smarter than you because *I* know cheap coats break easily."
That said, I agree. It's why I only buy my kids coats at LL Bean. Yes, I could spend more but Bean is great quality with a full replacement/money back guarantee) However I would think I'd be understanding if my dcp had something like this happen.

Originally Posted by :
Also, while some of you may be ok with literally coating minors with dangerous chemicals. I'm not. I don't want my children wearing paint or chemical cleaners.
ie: again, I'm sooo much smarter than you! (On a side note, I coat my dck's with teflon each morning upon arrival - makes cleaning them up a breeze! Parents love it because they don't have to bathe them later on! )

Originally Posted by :
Name calling along with the implication that the poster is more financially savvy than the rest of us and we are jealous of her internet claim to wealth.
To that end, I am Peyton Manning's wife. Really! It's on the internets, so it must be true!! I'd never tell a half truth!

With that, I am done feeding trolls for the day.
Josiegirl 09:55 AM 02-08-2016
Troll or not....I detest when people come on here anonymously and say rude things. Be an adult and own it for cripes sake.

Are you really Peyton Manning's wife???
Play Care 10:06 AM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Troll or not....I detest when people come on here anonymously and say rude things. Be an adult and own it for cripes sake.

Are you really Peyton Manning's wife???
Of course! Really tired after last night

I just decided to do day care because I really, really LOVE kids!! I don't need the income, obviously!
Unregistered 04:50 PM 02-08-2016
I never said I want new clothes when the clothes are dirty. I don't want new clothes when my child is at fault. If you tell a child to do something and property is damaged, you're at fault. Maybe I'm a troll, because I don't see new clothes as a luxury. I do have my own daycare. Once a little girl lost one of her gold earrings. I know she didn't rip it out or have it ripped out as her ears were in tact, but one was there and one was missing. You know, looking back, the mom could have sent her like that. As I don't pay attention to people's ears. I would never dream of saying to her mom "She lost it. Not MY problem. You wasted money on jewelry". We talked about it. The mom thought the most fair thing was to split the cost to rebuy one earring. I felt bad and asked for the receipt and paid her the whole amount. I treat people the way I want to be treated. P.S. schools can be forced to pay for damaged property. My niece had her car keyed in the school parking lot by someone. Guess what? School paid.
Thriftylady 05:25 PM 02-08-2016
I never said I want new clothes when the clothes are dirty. I don't want new clothes when my child is at fault. If you tell a child to do something and property is damaged, you're at fault. Maybe I'm a troll, because I don't see new clothes as a luxury. I do have my own daycare. Once a little girl lost one of her gold earrings. I know she didn't rip it out or have it ripped out as her ears were in tact, but one was there and one was missing. You know, looking back, the mom could have sent her like that. As I don't pay attention to people's ears. I would never dream of saying to her mom "She lost it. Not MY problem. You wasted money on jewelry". We talked about it. The mom thought the most fair thing was to split the cost to rebuy one earring. I felt bad and asked for the receipt and paid her the whole amount. I treat people the way I want to be treated. P.S. schools can be forced to pay for damaged property. My niece had her car keyed in the school parking lot by someone. Guess what? School paid.
Again I would never pay for jewelry or any item that a child brought/wore to daycare. It is NOT my responsibility. I highly doubt you are a provider. I also doubt even more that the school would pay for a keyed car, as that is what insurance is for, and if you have a car that is new enough to worry about that much, you should have full coverage. If you are really a provider, my guess is you will be out of business soon. After all going around acting better than everybody and calling people names isn't the way to win friends and influence people.
Blackcat31 05:32 PM 02-08-2016
You must live in a very unique area. Every school my child has attended from the first day they drove to school at 16 and up to graduate school now clearly states on the parking pass that the school is NOT responsible for damage that occurs when choosing to park in the school parking lot.

You are also a very unique provider with very unique parents because I dont know a single provider that would so willingly pay for a child's gold earrings without even knowing for sure tne child had both of them upon drop off. and in 20+ years have never had a daycare parent that would dream of even expecting me to pay for, let alone actually accept money from me in that situation.

I, too treat people the way I'd like to be treated; equally, fairly.

I agree with you that new clothing is not a luxury but if I choose, as a parent, to buy an expensive item of clothing I understand that its also MY choice as to where and in what situations my child will wear said clothing. Consequently, what happens to that clothing item in those places/situations is my responsibility and liability because I choose those things. EXCEPT in situations where the adult in charge acted negligently or did not have permission to do X.

The provider in this situation did NOT act negligently and more than likely had parental permission to go to the museum.

The entity that failed to act with due diligence was the museum by not posting signs....which are usually required by insurance, city, government and/or public safety laws/ordinances.

You, yourself said you had issue with the dangerous chemicals the children were exposed to... one would think the museum had an obligation to its visitors/customers to CLEARLY mark these hazardous substances for anyone that may get near them.

I dont think the provider (OP) is at all responsible for replacing the children's jackets.
Unregistered 05:43 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Again I would never pay for jewelry or any item that a child brought/wore to daycare. It is NOT my responsibility. I highly doubt you are a provider. I also doubt even more that the school would pay for a keyed car, as that is what insurance is for, and if you have a car that is new enough to worry about that much, you should have full coverage. If you are really a provider, my guess is you will be out of business soon. After all going around acting better than everybody and calling people names isn't the way to win friends and influence people.
In the OP's cause, I do think it was the OP's responsibility. While I agree, I didn't have to pay for the earring, I wanted to. I thought of how I would feel if someone just said to me "Not my problem". I always think of if I would want to be treated that way or my family. The insurance would have gone up. This is just a classic do unto others. It's ok to treat other people anyway. Nothing is ever your responsibility, but the shoe wouldn't feel good on the other foot. I've read here before and sometimes I wonder (besides for a very few posters) if the posters here truly love children and their families.
Blackcat31 05:43 PM 02-08-2016
I dont mean the unique comments about the school rudely at all... Just honestly never heard of that before.

Nice of your nieces school.
Thriftylady 05:48 PM 02-08-2016
In the OP's cause, I do think it was the OP's responsibility. While I agree, I didn't have to pay for the earring, I wanted to. I thought of how I would feel if someone just said to me "Not my problem". I always think of if I would want to be treated that way or my family. The insurance would have gone up. This is just a classic do unto others. It's ok to treat other people anyway. Nothing is ever your responsibility, but the shoe wouldn't feel good on the other foot. I've read here before and sometimes I wonder (besides for a very few posters) if the posters here truly love children and their families.
I think we all love our families and children. That is part of the reason I tell them up front that they need to wear PLAY clothes and come dressed to play (meaning no jewelry). As far as do unto others, yes I beleive in it and do it. Part of that is that I would NEVER ask the OP to replace my child's coat over something that was NOT her fault. She took the kids on a normal field trip, that all parents had signed off on. If the parents have an issue with the coats, they could take it up with the museum.
Unregistered 05:51 PM 02-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You must live in a very unique area. Every school my child has attended from the first day they drove to school at 16 and up to graduate school now clearly states on the parking pass that the school is NOT responsible for damage that occurs when choosing to park in the school parking lot.

You are also a very unique provider with very unique parents because I dont know a single provider that would so willingly pay for a child's gold earrings without even knowing for sure tne child had both of them upon drop off. and in 20+ years have never had a daycare parent that would dream of even expecting me to pay for, let alone actually accept money from me in that situation.

I, too treat people the way I'd like to be treated; equally, fairly.

I agree with you that new clothing is not a luxury but if I choose, as a parent, to buy an expensive item of clothing I understand that its also MY choice as to where and in what situations my child will wear said clothing. Consequently, what happens to that clothing item in those places/situations is my responsibility and liability because I choose those things. EXCEPT in situations where the adult in charge acted negligently or did not have permission to do X.

The provider in this situation did NOT act negligently and more than likely had parental permission to go to the museum.

The entity that failed to act with due diligence was the museum by not posting signs....which are usually required by insurance, city, government and/or public safety laws/ordinances.

You, yourself said you had issue with the dangerous chemicals the children were exposed to... one would think the museum had an obligation to its visitors/customers to CLEARLY mark these hazardous substances for anyone that may get near them.

I dont think the provider (OP) is at all responsible for replacing the children's jackets.
Google parking lot settlements/lawsuits and you'll see those agreements are mostly worthless. Especially as a lot of times, the spots aren't free. You can't just take someone's money and say "Not my problem" when their property gets damaged. I think the OP is at fault, because she told them to go by the wall. As I've said before there were other ways to handle the coat situation. We can go back and forth on this, however it's about treating people how you want to be treated. I think a lot of you are showing your true colors.I stand by comment, I think you guys are petty. Maybe you're not jealous of the parents. It seems you're jealous the children have expensive items.
NoMoreJuice! 05:54 PM 02-08-2016
Just want to jump back in for a quick update. Boy, was that a fun ride reading through all the comments I've missed!

I apologized for the very human error that was made, on behalf of the museum and on behalf of myself. Luckily this was not a fatal mistake, just a very annoying one.

I was able to clean a few of the coats with rubbing alcohol, and joked with the parents that if they smell alcohol, I promise I wasn't drinking on the job. We all laughed. Every one of my twelve parents forgave the mistake, and refused to let me help pay for a new coat.

Because we're all human.
Laurel 06:12 PM 02-08-2016
Just want to jump back in for a quick update. Boy, was that a fun ride reading through all the comments I've missed!

I apologized for the very human error that was made, on behalf of the museum and on behalf of myself. Luckily this was not a fatal mistake, just a very annoying one.

I was able to clean a few of the coats with rubbing alcohol, and joked with the parents that if they smell alcohol, I promise I wasn't drinking on the job. We all laughed. Every one of my twelve parents forgave the mistake, and refused to let me help pay for a new coat.

Because we're all human.
Glad it all turned out all right. I think I would have at least mentioned it to the museum people. Something like "I know you had a sign up but with supervising all the children I really didn't see it at first as it was up so high. I teach them to sit with their backs on the wall so I know where they are at all times (etc.). Do you think you could put the signs in a better place next time? That would help me out a lot as they all got paint on their coats." If you said something like that sweetly they might 'offer' to replace the coats. If not, at least maybe they'll put the signs in a better place next time.
Blackcat31 06:41 PM 02-08-2016

Because we're all human.
That's a great update!
Josiegirl 02:02 AM 02-09-2016
Google parking lot settlements/lawsuits and you'll see those agreements are mostly worthless. Especially as a lot of times, the spots aren't free. You can't just take someone's money and say "Not my problem" when their property gets damaged. I think the OP is at fault, because she told them to go by the wall. As I've said before there were other ways to handle the coat situation. We can go back and forth on this, however it's about treating people how you want to be treated. I think a lot of you are showing your true colors.I stand by comment, I think you guys are petty. Maybe you're not jealous of the parents. It seems you're jealous the children have expensive items.
I completely disagree and that does NOT make me petty and jealous. I try to live by the golden rule too. But this is also how I make my living. If OP had to come up with all that money to replace everybody's coats, I can see where(at least for me) a lot of my own bills would have been put on hold. I would have offered in some way to help but I have to tell you, if the parents had been stinkers about it(which thankfully for OP it sounds just the opposite)I would have referred them back to my policies which state I am not responsible for personal belongings but I try my best to take care of them. But honestly, doing my best to protect the children comes first and that's what OP was doing just as she had done multiple times before in this very same way.
As a side question, I wonder if our daycare insurance covers situations such as this? Maybe not because it didn't happen on site?
I think we need a Judge Judy judgement on this one!
Josiegirl 02:12 AM 02-09-2016
IF we're showing OUR true colors, at least we're not hiding behind unregistered to speak up.
We are small businesses, many unable to afford an expense of that possible magnitude.

I'm glad there was a good outcome OP.
Play Care 03:12 AM 02-09-2016
I have a child in my day care who had their ears pierced, and because it was never an issue I didn't think anything of it.
Until she decided to play around and take her earrings out unbeknownst to me. And I stepped on it.
Not only did I NOT replace it, I made it clear to her parents that they are lucky to still have child care.
I have young toddlers here who could have picked it up an swallowed it. Or one of the other kids could have stepped on it and been injured (I was wearing rubber soled slippers)

They decided not to wear earrings to day care.

OP, glad it worked out!
daycarediva 03:30 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Then you wouldn't be offered a spot in my daycare. I don't care what kids wear at home, but my handbook says "children should come to care in comfortable play clothes. We have lots of fun at daycare, and sometimes having fun means getting dirty. I cannot promise that your child's clothing will not become dirty or stained, and I cannot be responsible for damages to clothing". It is daycare, not a fashion show.
It is even in my handbook and reiterated at interview. We get messy EVERY SINGLE DAY. Inside and out. In ALL weather. KIDS WILL BE KIDS.

My own kids have North face coats, boots, hats and gloves. They are great quality. Most of it I bought on consignment, and since i have three boys, that $200 coat marked down to $40 will last 3 boys 3 winters). I would never expect them to be replaced if damaged anywhere. That's part of the expense of having kids, IMHO.

Because we're all human.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have a child in my day care who had their ears pierced, and because it was never an issue I didn't think anything of it.
Until she decided to play around and take her earrings out unbeknownst to me. And I stepped on it.
Not only did I NOT replace it, I made it clear to her parents that they are lucky to still have child care.
I have young toddlers here who could have picked it up an swallowed it. Or one of the other kids could have stepped on it and been injured (I was wearing rubber soled slippers)

They decided not to wear earrings to day care.

OP, glad it worked out!
I have a no jewelry rule. NONE, at ALL. I don't want the safety liability.
Play Care 05:18 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by :
I have a no jewelry rule. NONE, at ALL. I don't want the safety liability.
It was definitely a lesson learned on my part. The only other child who had pierced ears never touched them, so when this dck came in with them I congratulated her and told her they were beautiful.

But yeah, I wasn't even offering to replace the earring.
Blackcat31 05:23 AM 02-09-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It was definitely a lesson learned on my part. The only other child who had pierced ears never touched them, so when this dck came in with them I congratulated her and told her they were beautiful.

But yeah, I wasn't even offering to replace the earring.
Well obviously that makes you jealous and petty!!
Play Care 05:31 AM 02-09-2016
Ha!
And I showed her how much I DON'T care about her by complimenting her pierced ears/new earrings!
Thriftylady 05:42 AM 02-09-2016
I guess I am jealous of my kids with no hats and gloves for playing in the snow today since I am irritated about them not having them lol.
renodeb 09:14 AM 02-09-2016
Years ago I had a child get a big stain of baby food peach on a really nice outfit and the mom was really sad. I didn't know it would leave a permanent stain. She let it go but I felt bad about it. Now I tell parents not to send there kids in the brand new clothes from the grandparents or a very favorite outfit. Hopefully they will be understanding. Let us know what happens.
Deb
renodeb 09:24 AM 02-09-2016
Let us know what happens. Hopefully the parents are understanding.
Deb
Unregistered 01:13 PM 02-09-2016
I see it the same way and would do the same.
Reply Up