Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Tell a Parent, "I Need You to Switch to Full Time or . . ."
spedmommy4 04:04 PM 03-03-2016
For those that may have read my most recent thread, my DH was offered an amazing job in Oregon. At the last minute, the hiring manager changed his mind and decided to go with a more cost effective employee . . . so it looks like I will be continuing to call California home for awhile.

And since now is the time of year that calls really pick up, I have been looking at my enrollment. I currently have a sibling set that only attend two days a week. They only pay for two days a week, and they pay the rates I charged when I first opened. Super low. I've never been able to fill around their spot so I've essentially lost $186 a week for at least 7 months.

I really like this dcm. She's one of the best parents in my group and I've been struggling with a nice/professional way to let her know I'm taking a loss on the kids and will need her to pay for a full time slot for the younger one or I'll have to prioritize a full time child over them. (Older one is going to Kindergarten so he'll be in school all day soon) Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply
sharlan 04:21 PM 03-03-2016
DCM,

I'm changing my program to full-time only. Would you like to switch to full time. 1) Yes, great, my new rates will be $ per week. Or 2) No, ok, you can give me 2 week notice now, or I can let you know when I have a child to fill the full-time space.
Reply
Dilley Beans 03:43 PM 03-04-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
DCM,

I'm changing my program to full-time only. Would you like to switch to full time. 1) Yes, great, my new rates will be $ per week. Or 2) No, ok, you can give me 2 week notice now, or I can let you know when I have a child to fill the full-time space.
This. It is your business. Have a few interviews lined up for full time care so you don'tend up losing several weeks of income from these kids if you can't find new clients for a few weeks.
Reply
sharlan 03:57 PM 03-04-2016
Definitely start advertising.
Reply
spedmommy4 12:23 AM 03-05-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Definitely start advertising.
Yes, I started advertising this week. Besides the sibling spaces I would like to open up, I have one full time space available. I offered dcm the option to take the spots or I'll let her know when I have kids lined up and she would receive a termination notice at that time. I sent the email this morning. No response yet. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
Reply
TwinKristi 05:24 PM 03-09-2016
This is such a hard topic for parents to "get"... I offered this family more days like they originally said they would need and they declined. A FT spot came up and I filled it for 2 extra days plus $5/day more. How could I say no? They were so mad, they still won't speak to me. I gave them ample notice and they pulled him immediately losing their deposit and any prepaid tuition. I guess they didn't read the contract very well. :-/
I'm currently interviewing for my mid-June infant opening and one family wanted only 2 days a week and I told them
I had more interviews to conduct and if no one wanted the spot FT and I could find someone to take the other days I would be willing to work with them. I guess they didn't like that answer.
Reply
LysesKids 10:14 AM 03-10-2016
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
This is such a hard topic for parents to "get"... I offered this family more days like they originally said they would need and they declined. A FT spot came up and I filled it for 2 extra days plus $5/day more. How could I say no? They were so mad, they still won't speak to me. I gave them ample notice and they pulled him immediately losing their deposit and any prepaid tuition. I guess they didn't read the contract very well. :-/
I'm currently interviewing for my mid-June infant opening and one family wanted only 2 days a week and I told them
I had more interviews to conduct and if no one wanted the spot FT and I could find someone to take the other days I would be willing to work with them. I guess they didn't like that answer.
7 months ago I had a PT parent be offered a FT position because I had 2 families looking at the space; they didn't sign, PT stayed, she didn't want FT but she let it slip that she started looking for other care & was ready to pull (her hubby understood why I needed to sign a FT)

The next month same scenario... another FT came along, I didn't tell PT this time because I knew what she was planning and I knew her answer. FT signed, I gave 2 week notice as required - PT pulled that night loosing rest of her fees & cussed me saying I thought I had a guaranteed PT position... WTH, no you didn't & you knew it
Reply
thrivingchildcarecom 12:24 PM 03-10-2016
Well, looks like you need to concentrate on the one that is staying. So I think I would talk to the mom but essentially issue a notice to the family that come the Fall (or whenever you decide), the tuition rate is going to be increased to the current rate of $-----. This way you will have talked about it ahead of time and it also gives them time to adjust to the increase. Or, you will be able to tell if you will have a spot opening up and when.
Hope that helps!
Reply
Tags:notification letter, part time to full time
Reply Up