Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would Temp be High if Crying?
MamaBear 08:38 AM 01-31-2012
I have a 2 yr old boy in my daycare. He's been fine here... UNTIL Friday he had a really rough day of crying & huge fits... kicking screaming - ugly crying. His mom thinks he is having Separation Anxiety. I took his temp & it was 100.2. He had a continuous runny nose. THe mom took him home and emailed me later that when she got home his temp was only 97 degrees and fine. Really??? I checked his temp 3 times and it stayed the same & even used the same thermometer on the other kids to make sure it was right. She thought that his temp came up high because he was crying due to his undiagnosed "Separation Anxiety" she thinks he has.

So my questions is: Will his temp be that high (orally) if he has been crying?

Also by the way - He is back today and SAME THING is happening. Now his nose is running white snot and his temp is 99.8. Borderline going home. He has been screaming & crying all morning. I found an app on my iPhone called "Time Stamp" and I was able to take a picture of the thermometer with the 99.8 temp on it and sent it to the mom. It shows the date and exact time. I told her that I am going to do that for now on so she can SEE for herself what his temp is with the date and time. Now she can't insinuate that I'm lying about his temp!!! I'll keep updating it to her too so she can see. He's stopped crying now for the past 20 minutes so if it was due to his crying, I will soon know I guess.

Errrrr.....

But in the meanwhile... Do you know if his temp would get high if he is crying?
cheerfuldom 08:50 AM 01-31-2012
Why is he even there if he is crying so much? prolonged crying is grounds for being sent home, regardless of the temp. He's not new is he?
MamaBear 08:59 AM 01-31-2012
Thats what I don't understand. He's been coming to my daycare for about 8 months now. He started off like this... crying everyday and I almost termed them the first week. But then he got better and seemed more comfortable. He has always been very sensitive and so would have occasional bad days - especially on Mondays. AND the mom is a school teacher so she keeps him him on every break for weeks on end, so that doesn't help.

Last week though, it escalated to craziness. I could hear him crying from the car all the way to the door. The mom says "sorry" and runs back to her car. She is pregnant by the way and due next month. Anyway - its not getting better but worse since last week. I try everything to console him... hold him - which he doesn't like... He has access to everyone of his favorite toys... but he chooses to sit in this one spot and scream the highest pitch scream ever. When I pick him up he claws at my hands. He wasn't this bad before. Before it was just the horrid cry but now its 10 times that.

I asked the mom to bring a "comfort toy" from home so maybe that would help. SO today she brings a crazy amount of things... This seemed to make it worse because he screamed if any of the kids even looked at his stuff. I had to take it all away except one thing.

I'm hoping he's just sick (I know that sounds awful) because if he continues like this, I will definitely terminate care. I can't function with a child like this here. I've had another like this in the past, and termed... Ugh so frustrating.

By the way - he fell asleep now. WHich is not like him. He usually naps from 12:30-2:30. I told the mom and she thinks his temp is high from crying and he just wore himself out. I will take his temp again after he wakes up and that should be pretty precise since he's not upset anymore.

BTW Cheerfuldom: How long do you give a child before you send him home for crying continuously? This guy is crying off an on (with 5 minute breaks in between) from 7am until usually around 10am. This is how he's been since last week. Should I be sending him home by 8am? Or do you give a couple hours of it? I usually try to wait it out... but its wearing on my sanity...
Ariana 09:18 AM 01-31-2012
Yes crying and being upset can elevate temperature. Napping also elevates temperature. Definately take his temp when he is calm and wait a 1/2 hour to an hour after he wakes up.
MamaBear 09:45 AM 01-31-2012
Thanks Ariana... that helps. He woke up about 5 minutes ago... so I'll give him some time to cool off any sleep-temp.

Thanks!
cheerfuldom 09:48 AM 01-31-2012
My rule is one hour for constant crying. That said, I would try a few things with him first. I would imagine that most of this is related to moms pregnancy. Dad (or someone else) is probably taking care of him more as mom slows down and mom is not able to hold him as much with the belly getting so big at the end. She probably isnt even able to lift him very well and he may have been used to being carried around a lot. Is she keeping him home on her maternity leave?

If so, I would just hang in there. Anytime he is crying and unhappy, he goes in the pack n play in another room (assuming that is within regulations). Sounds like he could probably use the extra nap but either way, no sense letting him scream and ruin everyone else's day. As for the toys from home, I wouldn't have allowed that....as you see, it doesn't help and just creates territorial behaviors. I would just send it all home today and let mom know that you tried that but it is not helping.

His world is really getting shaken up right now so either you can hang in there with him or you can't. There is nothing wrong with saying that it is too much for you right now but you might try letting him cry on his own and coming out when he is happy and ready to play versus fussing over him when that is clearly not working. He might "get" it in a few days and get back to normal.
MamaBear 09:52 AM 01-31-2012
Thank you Cheerfuldom... that really does help. Yeah he is staying home for maternity leave... She will be out from late February until late July! BUT now she is saying maybe she'll have her husband bring him 2 days a week during Feb-May... and then just home after that... And then back here full time late July along with the baby sister. I think it will make him a lot worse because then he will REALLY want to be home with mom and the new baby. Fun Fun.
Meyou 10:00 AM 01-31-2012
If he's crying that hard I'm sure it would make him hot. I'm picturing him sweaty and redfaced. Doesn't sound like a fun day for you.

I would also take him temp when he was calm for a bit and go from there.
Tags:crying, crying - until hot, temperature
Reply Up