Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contracts: Every Time I Update Them And Send Them Back Out I Always Get...
E Daycare 04:37 AM 08-30-2012
Questions to areas that have stayed the same since the dck started. I'm always bracing myself to field the questions/comments from stuff the parent is "surprised" to find out I have in it.

This year I made 3 minor changes with one being a removal of a previous fee. I send out a parent letter letting them know the revisions, where they can find them along with a reminder of important things and where they can also find them in the contract.

I do this every six months yet every time parents are like OMG what do ou mean 24hrs before they can come back from being sick or OMG theres a fee for this and that? YES!

Glad I send it back out or highlight important parts frequently. Every time it's like a whole new contract to them.

You guys deal with this stuff too?
Lynnmom 04:44 AM 08-30-2012
Yes, I do and with parents who read the contracts but "assume" that it's for every other kid..not theirs!
E Daycare 05:13 AM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Lynnmom:
Yes, I do and with parents who read the contracts but "assume" that it's for every other kid..not theirs!
Lol I get that too. Nope SAME rules apply all around. Contract has your kids name on it? Pertains to you!

It's like reading the return policy on the back of a receipt and saying "But since I purchase things at this store all the time I thought I could return this without the tags and probably a year old and smelling a little musty. No? Well yes i 'read' disclaimer on the back of the receipt. Now i have tons of questions".
laundrymom 05:52 AM 08-30-2012
I only do contracts once a yr. I pass them out, get them back and just go from there. I don't change things very often. Maybe once each 7-10 years? If its a huge policy change I just begin w new clients, letting old ones stay w the old policies. Like, paying @ dropoff on Friday, not pickup. That way I can get it to the bank on Fridays business. We redo ours at the annual conferences.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 08-30-2012
I am like laundrymom and only revise or reprint contracts/handbooks once per year. I do mine in September. I rarely change anything but if I do, it is usually something that has been discussed frequently already and become enough of an issue that changes are necessary so no parent is ever really suprised.

In your case, I would probably handle the parents' questions with a little humor and say "Yes, Joan that has always been a rule....good thing I reprinted my contract since you obviously didn't read it well in the first place." and then laugh/smile.

I suppose most parents read what applies to them and don't bother much with the rest and then suddenly when they re-read something that NOW applies to them...they are surprised. I don't know....parents can be funny sometimes.
Country Kids 06:55 AM 08-30-2012
When I redo my contracts I give my parents a little folder to keep at home. It has their handbook, contract and some other things in it. This way they can look it up if they have any questions before coming to me and saying they didn't know this.
Reply Up