Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD - Holding Fee and Drop In
KSDC 07:05 AM 06-20-2014
So, I let my teachers take the summer off with a small holding fee. I can usually fill their spots with SA and it all works out. But, I ran into something this week and I'm not sure how I want to handle it.

One of my DCF's had a funeral to attend. DCM went and DCD stayed home.
11 mo DCB stayed with Dad. Dad called and asked if I could watch DCB for three days. I had the room on two of them.

So, the question: Do I still charge the holding fee for the week in addition to my daily drop-in rate? Or do I waive the fee for the week, since DCB was attending for 2 days?

DCF is great and won't complain either way. (Didn't even ask) I just want to be sure I am being fair. So, how would you handle this?
MarinaVanessa 07:13 AM 06-20-2014
The holding fee is to hold their spot until school starts again and DCM goes back to work and only that. I wouldn't apply it towards child care, use it as a deposit, or any other reason other than what it's intended for.

I would then charge these clients my drop in rate for any days during the summer that they need child care. They want to save money by only paying a holding fee during the summer ... okay, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. During the summer I would consider them as inactive or as drop in if they needed care.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 06-20-2014
I would definitely charge for the days you provide services.

The holding fee guarantees their space will be available in the fall but has nothing to do with services provided during their off time.
Mom of 4 07:52 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by mv:
the holding fee is to hold their spot until school starts again and dcm goes back to work and only that. I wouldn't apply it towards child care, use it as a deposit, or any other reason other than what it's intended for.

I would then charge these clients my drop in rate for any days during the summer that they need child care. They want to save money by only paying a holding fee during the summer ... Okay, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. During the summer i would consider them as inactive or as drop in if they needed care.
this here
taylorw1210 08:08 AM 06-20-2014
If you feel bad about charging holding fee and drop in rates, depending on what your holding fee is vs. your daily drop in rate - would it work to charge your holding fee minus the daily drop in rate?

For example:

Holding Free - $100/wk
Daily Drop in x 2: $60/wk.

So holding fee would be $40 for that week?
deliberateliterate 09:49 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
If you feel bad about charging holding fee and drop in rates, depending on what your holding fee is vs. your daily drop in rate - would it work to charge your holding fee minus the daily drop in rate?

For example:

Holding Free - $100/wk
Daily Drop in x 2: $60/wk.

So holding fee would be $40 for that week?
This. If the holding fee is more than 2 days of care, I wouldn't charge.
AmyKidsCo 12:18 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate:
This. If the holding fee is more than 2 days of care, I wouldn't charge.
Ditto, I wouldn't charge the holding fee and drop-in fee because IMO it's double-charging.

Another way to do it would be to charge 3/5 of the holding fee for the 3 days and your drop-in fee for the other 2 days.
Tags:holding fee
Reply Up