Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birthday Parties
TwinMama 10:29 AM 01-29-2016
I've been invited to my 3 year old
Dcb party. He really wants me to go.

Do you go to your dckids parties?

I'm still getting him a gift either way.
NoMoreJuice! 10:56 AM 01-29-2016
I always go to the Bday parties I'm invited to. It makes them so happy. We always do a special party, cupcakes of their choice, dancing, etc. at my house too. I just LOVE birthdays!
lovemydaycare0912 10:59 AM 01-29-2016
Ive also been invited to my dcb 2nd bday party. I may or may not go depending how I am feeling. We have a.good relationship with the family, so I wouldn't mind going.
Thriftylady 11:00 AM 01-29-2016
I don't go to these things, because kids have a deep sense of fairness. And if I go to one but for some reason can't go to the next, well kids get in an uproar about things like that! I usually do something small here. Usually a small gift and a special snack.
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 01-29-2016
Nope. Never, not once in 20+ years/over 275 kids....

I keep my business and personal/family stuff 100% separate.

Birthdays are celebrated while the birthday child is here.

Birthday child is the decision maker, line leader etc for the day but other than that, nothing but a regular day.

I don't buy gifts for them until it's their last birthday here (when they age out of my program).
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 01-30-2016
I wish I were a social person because I would go. And way back when, I did go to a few things. But now, I'm so uncomfortable out with others like that so I just decline if asked. And we always make it a special day here for the birthday child.
TwinMama 12:27 PM 01-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope. Never, not once in 20+ years/over 275 kids....

I keep my business and personal/family stuff 100% separate.

Birthdays are celebrated while the birthday child is here.

Birthday child is the decision maker, line leader etc for the day but other than that, nothing but a regular day.

I don't buy gifts for them until it's their last birthday here (when they age out of my program).
How do you politely decline for them when asked?
Controlled Chaos 01:14 PM 01-30-2016
I say "Thank you so much for the invitation, but the weekend is my time with my family. Have so much fun, I can't wait to hear about it on Monday!"
midaycare 07:15 PM 01-30-2016
I have gone to every one except one that I've been invited to. I put the emphasis on *family* daycare. My families like to get to know me, and vice versa.

Just today I went to a community event and ran into a daycare family. We spent a few hours together, touring the event. Then we ran into another dcf there, and they joined us.

I went to a baptism, which was pretty cool, and I was honored to attend.

I tried to keep everything separate. Business/personal ...but I spend so much time with these kids, it doesn't make sense to my brain. Plus I have some of the coolest clientele. That may change some day, but for right now, I like how it is.
TwinMama 05:25 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have gone to every one except one that I've been invited to. I put the emphasis on *family* daycare. My families like to get to know me, and vice versa.

Just today I went to a community event and ran into a daycare family. We spent a few hours together, touring the event. Then we ran into another dcf there, and they joined us.

I went to a baptism, which was pretty cool, and I was honored to attend.

I tried to keep everything separate. Business/personal ...but I spend so much time with these kids, it doesn't make sense to my brain. Plus I have some of the coolest clientele. That may change some day, but for right now, I like how it is.
That's the thing. I have 3 families, and I like them all but this mom has been the most difficult to deal with. So I'd rather not spend my family time with them. Plus I actually have two other family birthdays, but I just feel guilty for not going since they invited me.

She told me to absolutely not feel obligated to go but since I was invited I still do.
midaycare 06:54 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
That's the thing. I have 3 families, and I like them all but this mom has been the most difficult to deal with. So I'd rather not spend my family time with them. Plus I actually have two other family birthdays, but I just feel guilty for not going since they invited me.

She told me to absolutely not feel obligated to go but since I was invited I still do.
The bday party I didn't go to was a family I didn't mesh great with. It's your private time. I actually enjoy going. But if I don't want to, I won't.
Boymom 11:01 AM 01-31-2016
I went to one of my daycare kid's bday party the other day and it was fun! I really like this family and it was good to see them in a place other than my house lol!
kendallina 02:50 PM 01-31-2016
I don't go to any of the birthday parties either. We celebrate with a song and they receive a birthday book here. Parents are welcome to bring in treats, but my weekends are important to me, that's family time. I do always appreciate when the kids (and parents) invite me, it's very sweet.
Play Care 03:20 AM 02-01-2016
When my own kids were little and in the day care, we were invited to dck's parties more. And I did attend with my kids as they were their friends.

I'm less inclined to attend now as my own kids are older and not in dc. My weekends are slammed and it's really been challenging to get my own things done and have family time.

But like anything else, if I wanted to go and could go, I would. If I can't I'd decline gracefully. I would probably make it about other prior obligations rather than say I didn't do day care events on weekends. "Oh Sally I would love to, but we have x, y or z going on and I won't be able to. I hope you have the happiest birthday!"
childcaremom 03:56 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
When my own kids were little and in the day care, we were invited to dck's parties more. And I did attend with my kids as they were their friends.

I'm less inclined to attend now as my own kids are older and not in dc. My weekends are slammed and it's really been challenging to get my own things done and have family time.

But like anything else, if I wanted to go and could go, I would. If I can't I'd decline gracefully. I would probably make it about other prior obligations rather than say I didn't do day care events on weekends. "Oh Sally I would love to, but we have x, y or z going on and I won't be able to. I hope you have the happiest birthday!"

Me exactly. My own kids are older and my weekends are, well, my weekends. We have tons of activities and it's my downtime.
DaveA 04:00 AM 02-01-2016
Nope- never. Weekends/ evenings are for me and my family. I just always tell parents that I don't go but thank you for the invitation.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
How do you politely decline for them when asked?
It's something I discuss during the interview so they know up front to not bother inviting me.

Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Nope- never. Weekends/ evenings are for me and my family. I just always tell parents that I don't go but thank you for the invitation.
If they persist, I go with something similar to what Dave posted above.

"Thanks for the invite but I don't get enough family time as it is so I won't be able to attend. I'd love to hear Timmy tell me all about it on Monday though"
Reply Up