Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Go Play Toys
nannyde 01:39 PM 09-29-2011
I KNEW I was right....

http://www.playwales.org.uk/download...page=67&skin=0

One study implies that play is not just active during the sensitive period for brain grow but that play IS the sensitive period. In other words it is only when children play that the brain grows. Or put another way, if children do not play then their brains will not grow. Although this in itself is a catastrophic conclusion, the same study also describes play as a modifier of brain structure. Meaning that as well as having the effect of generally increasing brain size, playing acts to develop the actual structure of specific brain areas, for example the cerebellum.

This WOULD explain why I have a house full of baby geniuses!!!!!!!!!!
Cat Herder 01:45 PM 09-29-2011
Funny.... They call what we refer to as "Rage Baby's" "Battery Children".....
nannyde 01:46 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Funny.... They call what we refer to as "Rage Baby's" "Battery Children".....
I know...
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 09-29-2011
Ok first, I always knew you were right

but I can't believe that they are now talking about this like it is such a new development and they include research and thoughts by bonafide theorists. .... really??? They are treating this like rocket science when in reality it is exactly what you have been saying all along......PROVIDE THE CORE FOUNDATIONS and the rest will follow!!!!

It is amazing that after all these years and the multitude of new approaches, methods and ideas that we as a human race apply to raising our children and yet we do not take a step back once in awhile and simply say, "Well duh!!"
Country Kids 02:04 PM 09-29-2011
OK, are you ready for this!!!! I'm still contemplating whether to contact the principal and superindent abouthis but..........my childs school has taken away before school recess!!! They have to either go sit in cafeteria, eat and then sit and read a book or if they aren't eating breakfast go sit in the gym and read quietly. Also, recess is before lunch, they then eat and then go sit back down in class. No time before school or during school to burn off any calories or get the hyperness from the sugar coated cereal and lunches. It just soooo angers me!
nannyde 02:08 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, are you ready for this!!!! I'm still contemplating whether to contact the principal and superindent abouthis but..........my childs school has taken away before school recess!!! They have to either go sit in cafeteria, eat and then sit and read a book or if they aren't eating breakfast go sit in the gym and read quietly. Also, recess is before lunch, they then eat and then go sit back down in class. No time before school or during school to burn off any calories or get the hyperness from the sugar coated cereal and lunches. It just soooo angers me!
Oh that's happening all across America.

The adults don't want to watch kids outside. It's too much work. It's too much conflict between the kids. It's too much liability.

If it was easier for the school to have recess before school they would have it. There's only one reason to eliminate it... because it's too hard.

My son is in sixth grade and doesn't have any PE now. I think he will have it next semester a couple of days a week. We were sent home a parent agreement saying that we agreed to provide daily exercise for our kid and put down specifically what it was, the amount of time, and when it was done.

They want to make sure they don't get sued for having a bunch of sick kids five/ten years from now.

No recess, no gym, and crappy processed food.

There it is....
familyschoolcare 02:30 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
. Also, recess is before lunch, they then eat and then go sit back down in class. N!
Studies show children eat better in school when recess is before lunch.
Crystal 02:38 PM 09-29-2011
Play is fundamental in children's healthy growth and development. That has been stated over and over and over in the ECE community. There are numerous books about play being the number one factor in developmentally appropriate practice and the social-emotional, physical and cognitive development of children.

I find it sad that preschool is what kindergarten USED to be. Now kindy is all about meeting standards.
MN Mom 02:52 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Play is fundamental in children's healthy growth and development. That has been stated over and over and over in the ECE community. There are numerous books about play being the number one factor in developmentally appropriate practice and the social-emotional, physical and cognitive development of children.

I find it sad that preschool is what kindergarten USED to be. Now kindy is all about meeting standards.
I couldn't agree more....

Lucky for me, my area still uses play as the main form of learning in Kindy. I asked my son what he learned in Kindy today and he listed off a bunch of games like - red rover and duck duck gray duck. He is also teaching me new "circle time songs" daily He adores learning math and reading (I've been working with him based on his own interest for 2 years) but he is really really enjoying all the playing with friends at school too...key word being play. I will be VERY sad when they start pushing more federal standards at the Kindergarten Center, and it will happen sooner rather than later.
AfterSchoolMom 05:37 PM 09-29-2011
Our school's recess is only about 25 minutes long, and it's always the first thing they take away for discipline, study hall, rainy weather, if they need time for an assembly, etc. We've never had morning recess.

Everytime it's raining, snowing, too hot, or too cold, they have "indoor recess" in the classrooms which involves them sitting and reading or playing a quiet game.

They only have PE once per week for about 30 minutes.
meganlavonnesmommy 06:17 AM 09-30-2011
25 minutes for recess would be awesome! Ours if 15 minutes, once a day, and like you said, its the first thing they take away if its cold, rainy, or for discipline.

They are in school for 7 hours a day, and only 15 minutes of recess. No wonder my kids come home all spun up and tons of energy.
My Daycare 06:38 AM 09-30-2011
At the school that my son used to attend there wasn't any recess and gym was once a week. If I remember right, his Gym class was only for 1 out of the 2 semesters/yr.

We moved and his elementary school had 30 min of free play recess, unless it was under 10 degrees, but then it would be inside. He also had 10 minutes of structured recess everyday and Gym 3X/Wk.

Now he is in middle school and recess is gone, but he does have Gym everyday.
Unregistered 06:58 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Studies show children eat better in school when recess is before lunch.
I don't think kids need to eat better. Studies show the obesity rate in children is at it's highest.

I do feel they need the excercise and energy release that outside provides not to mention the fresh air.

Ugh!

NannyDe- I am surprised you questioned yourself on this. I love your go play toys. I use it often here. I wish someone was telling me......go play toys all day. <-------- this is probably referring to a different posting, sorry just thought I would throw it out there
diane 12:24 AM 10-11-2011
It's amazing how much children can grasp right from a young age.Toys which encourage creativity in child can be broadly classified into three main categories - arts, crafts and music. They commonly involve hands-on activities like making a painting, coloring, drawing, clay modeling, craft project etc.
Tags:child care websites, play, play yard - infants, rage baby, toys - best choice
Reply Up