Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grapes
SimpleMom 09:04 AM 05-19-2011
just found out about a little 4 yr old that choked on a grape and died at daycare!! Man, I am done serving grapes for my older kids. I always cut the grapes up small, but that's too much risk for me. Same with hotdogs. So sad.
nannyde 09:12 AM 05-19-2011
I just run mine thru the food processor right before serving them.
Meyou 09:27 AM 05-19-2011
I quarter mine and I don't do tube meat. :P
safechner 09:52 AM 05-19-2011
I have heard about it. That is why I refused serve the kids grapes, peanuts butter, peanuts, apples, and hot dogs. I am too scared to take risk for it. It is not worth it.
Cat Herder 11:06 AM 05-19-2011
Grapes, peanuts, hot dogs and raisins are not allowed to be served here... Rules and Regs.

Really, if you quarter them the risk is minimal but as usual the State does the knee jerk reaction thing and just bans them entirely.

The worst choking scene I have ever known of was a kid cheeking animal crackers.... It made a concrete paste and had to be dug out of his airway with forceps and finger sweeps over and over again... It was tedious.

Guess those will be next. It ALL comes down to common sense and SUPERVISION, IMHO.
tulip1969 11:10 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Grapes, peanuts, hot dogs and raisins are not allowed to be served here... Rules and Regs.

Really, if you quarter them the risk is minimal but as usual the State does the knee jerk reaction thing and just bans them entirely.

The worst choking scene I have ever known of was a kid cheeking animal crackers.... It made a concrete paste and had to be dug out of his airway with forceps and finger sweeps over and over again... It was tedious.

Guess those will be next. It ALL comes down to common sense and SUPERVISION, IMHO.
Yes, always remember a child that has something stuck in their airway is usually silent. If you are not watching you will not know it!
Tags:grapes, safety
Reply Up