Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Use Playground Mats Under Swings?
Mom2Two 10:37 AM 03-18-2016
It's my announced inspection next week, and it turns out that the one inspector now does the outside as well...and I know that there are two worn patches under my swing set. I thought I would have til Summer to move the swing set or put a mat down...but no.

So rather than move the swing set, I'm thinking to install some mats under the swings. But I've never done that before. Does it work okay? I'm assuming I'd have to lay them down in the dirt somehow. Is there a better brand? I looked online, and I couldn't believe how much they were and the shipping was ridiculous at this one company--like twice as much as the order. I can't understand it.

Any advice?
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
It's my announced inspection next week, and it turns out that the one inspector now does the outside as well...and I know that there are two worn patches under my swing set. I thought I would have til Summer to move the swing set or put a mat down...but no.

So rather than move the swing set, I'm thinking to install some mats under the swings. But I've never done that before. Does it work okay? I'm assuming I'd have to lay them down in the dirt somehow. Is there a better brand? I looked online, and I couldn't believe how much they were and the shipping was ridiculous at this one company--like twice as much as the order. I can't understand it.

Any advice?
Does it need to be a certain depth or thickness?

I would check out flooring type mats at Home Depot or Menards instead of actual swing set mats. I've seen basically the same product sold as industrial or commercial flooring verses the cost they want for swing set matting.
Mom2Two 11:38 AM 03-18-2016
Okay, thanks!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:31 AM 03-22-2016
horse stall mats... our county YEARS ago.. like over 10... bought providers some (I have 3) and they still are in great shape. I need to buy some more and cover the area that is mulched because I hate the mulch. They are heavy! You need several people to put them in place. Wavy side down.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:35 AM 03-22-2016
I don't see ones like I have but I do see these-
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
Mom2Two 04:27 PM 03-25-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I don't see ones like I have but I do see these-
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
horse stall mats... our county YEARS ago.. like over 10... bought providers some (I have 3) and they still are in great shape. I need to buy some more and cover the area that is mulched because I hate the mulch. They are heavy! You need several people to put them in place. Wavy side down.
Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't have thought of horse stall mats. I actually went ahead and bought some Home Depot ones for $20, but if they don't last long I'll look into the horse stall ones.
rosieteddy 08:36 AM 03-29-2016
I have used large pieces of indoor outdoor grass carpet.Keeps down the mud dries quick and blends in with grass.If I had woodchips there I would have bought brown indoor out door carpet.
Tags:mats, outside surfaces, swingset
Reply Up