Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant Provider (27 weeks) DCB Cold Sore
Unregistered 09:19 AM 05-03-2018
I am 27 weeks pregnant and just had DCB dropped off with him telling me about his cold sore...Is this something to exclude for? I do have 4 kids of my own, two of which are in contact with him during the time he is here....is length of transmission through everyone (God forbid) something to be concerned about?

Thank you!
Unregistered 09:20 AM 05-03-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am 27 weeks pregnant and just had DCB dropped off with him telling me about his cold sore...Is this something to exclude for? I do have 4 kids of my own, two of which are in contact with him during the time he is here....is length of transmission through everyone (God forbid) something to be concerned about?

Thank you!
Edited to add: mom confirmed cold sore at drop off.
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 05-03-2018
I don't know about risks for pregnancy or anything like that but here is the info I have about it....

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...ider.pdf?la=en

It says the contagious period in some cases is up to 2 weeks...
Cat Herder 10:30 AM 05-03-2018
"Knowing that viruses are contagious, you might worry that you’ll pass the virus to your unborn baby if you have a cold sore when you’re pregnant. The virus isn’t contagious in that sense – the virus from a cold sore on your face can’t pass through the placenta to your unborn baby. Yet they are contagious through direct contact, meaning if you have a cold sore and kiss a newborn baby or touch them after touching a cold sore blister, you could spread the virus to them."

https://www.pregmed.org/know-cold-sores-pregnancy.htm
Unregistered 10:34 AM 05-03-2018

Thank you!
The only right answer will come from your ob/gyn. Just to be 100% sure, ask your doctor
Ac114 11:04 AM 05-03-2018
How old is DCB. If he is young enough where he puts toys in his mouth or hands in his mouth then yes he can easily pass the virus to other children. He is contagious prior to the sore coming through the skin all the way until the scab heals, that could be up to 2 weeks. Is it possible to put a bandaid over it? I would probably exclude just because my mother passed them to myself and my sister as young children. It’s hurt my self esteem and I’ve been very diligent in not passing it to my children. It can be spread by using same utensils, drinking after someone and obviously kissing or touching an active sore. I do not even kiss my own children on the face for fear of spreading the virus.
Tin Blues 01:55 PM 05-03-2018
Chances are your children already have it. The vast majority of people have the virus but never manifest symptoms.
Unregistered 02:34 PM 05-03-2018
Thank you everyone! DCB is 5. The cold sore was inside of his mouth, I didn't physically see it, but him mentioning it and mom confirming were enough for me to take their word for it. I asked him to show me but he would have had to put his hand in his mouth to move his lip, so I nixed that idea. He was very compliant about washing his hands frequently and today happened to be his half day. They are good about not sharing cups, utensils, etc. I ended up calling my OB shortly after posting this and got some reassurance as well. Thank you all for your advice!
hwichlaz 02:51 PM 05-04-2018
In this case I woudln’t worry about it. Just don’t kiss him I was married to someone with herpes for 15 years and managed to never have an outbreak myself. OUr kids are clear as well. Just wash everyone’s hands a lot and keep them away from your face. When I’ve had littles with them, I tend to separate them a little if they are still mouthy, give them their own toys and own space. It doesn’t work with every child so sometimes you have to exclude anyway.
MomBoss 05:54 AM 05-05-2018
Thank you everyone! DCB is 5. The cold sore was inside of his mouth, I didn't physically see it, but him mentioning it and mom confirming were enough for me to take their word for it. I asked him to show me but he would have had to put his hand in his mouth to move his lip, so I nixed that idea. He was very compliant about washing his hands frequently and today happened to be his half day. They are good about not sharing cups, utensils, etc. I ended up calling my OB shortly after posting this and got some reassurance as well. Thank you all for your advice!

Im wondering if it was a canker sore since it was inside the mouth?
Unregistered 01:33 PM 05-09-2018
I am also pregnant... I run a family licensed daycare out of my home. only 9 weeks but thinking about what to do when the baby comes... I am going to try and work right to my due date but Im afraid I will lose clients if I close. What are you going to do?
Tags:contagious diseases, pregnant - and running daycare
Reply Up