Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default First Vacations in YEARS

So today I booked my first vacation in years, like actually going away for 10 days to a beach vacation!!!!! I am so excited!!!!!

It is in 3 months should I let dcp's know this week? How much notice do you give your families?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

My contract says I will give at least 4 weeks notice. I'd say something verbally now and then put a reminder in my newsletter every month until then. If you don't do a newsletter, I would give it in writing sometime before the end of Feb.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Daycare Member

i think the sooner you tell them the better off. this allows for them to arrange their schedules...

geerrr im so jealous.............have a great time!!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Hooray for you! I would let them know as soon as possible. We're hoping to go visit my DD in Honduras over Christmas (she will be stationed there). We're not even actually sure if we'll be able to afford it, or what the dates will actually be, but I told all my families to expect me to be gone the week before and the week after Christmas. That gives them PLENTY of time to find alternate care for that time.
I'm excited to you, where and when are you going?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

we are renting a beach house on the outer banks of NC second week of April. Hoping for at least 70 degrees lol much better than what we have been having in Iowa. Honduras sounds much more exciting
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Daycare Member

I would give them a heads up now, and check in over the next couple of months along the lines of asking if they have been thinking of back up care. The month before you go on vacation, I would do weekly reminders unless you know everyone has plans made. I closed for a week at christmas time and had told everyone the first of November, the friday before I was to be closed on of the DCD's said, oh yeah, I better see if i can find someone to watch him. Really?! Sometimes no matter how much notice you give them, it isn't enough!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Hurt Betrayed Confused

DEFINITELY let them know now!! As far as how much notice I give -- I set up the following year in early December and give them a calendar of days off that I will take for that year. I try my darndest not to change it, because I figure they will get their vacation schedules at work in January and have to fill them out, which is why I give them my calendar in December. That way they can take off some of the same days I do, or at least have plenty of time to arrange for a relative or someone to care for them. If something pops up later that I have to take a day off for, they know immediately after I know. Plenty of notice so they can't complain!

Tags
vacation, vacation policy