Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default ADDING Part Timer..Need Help Hashing Out Details

Hi there,

I am adding a part-timer, but they need flexibility. Most days would be three days a week, but other weeks would be 2-5 depending on her mother's availability....this is what I am thinking contract wise and need opinion:

1. I am thinking I will contract her for three days/week for the first six months. If she gears more on the lower end (2 days/week), then we can reevaluate. For days she knows she needs more than 3 days, we will have her pay for those days on a daily basis prior to her leaving her child in my care.

2. It wasn't a spot I was planning on filling in the first place, so the flexibilty of days, which days and how many days doesn't matter to me. It is extra money. Where I come into a problem, is vacation time for me and holiday pay.

So she will mostly need care M,W,F I will conract her for those three days, and she will pay for those three days when I am on vacation. For holidays, she will only pay for the days which she typically needs me. For example, if the new year day landed on Monday, I would get paid for the holiday. If it landed on a Tuesday, I would not.

3 . Another issue, is her vacation. I give full timers 5 days of vacation in which they do not need to pay me. So for a part-timer, do I offer this or any portion of it? To me, it seems like a benefit, so I am inclined to not offer it.

I hope this is clear..let me know if you have any questions!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout View Post
Hi there,

I am adding a part-timer, but they need flexibility. Most days would be three days a week, but other weeks would be 2-5 depending on her mother's availability....this is what I am thinking contract wise and need opinion:

1. I am thinking I will contract her for three days/week for the first six months. If she gears more on the lower end (2 days/week), then we can reevaluate. For days she knows she needs more than 3 days, we will have her pay for those days on a daily basis prior to her leaving her child in my care.

2. It wasn't a spot I was planning on filling in the first place, so the flexibilty of days, which days and how many days doesn't matter to me. It is extra money. Where I come into a problem, is vacation time for me and holiday pay.

So she will mostly need care M,W,F I will conract her for those three days, and she will pay for those three days when I am on vacation. For holidays, she will only pay for the days which she typically needs me. For example, if the new year day landed on Monday, I would get paid for the holiday. If it landed on a Tuesday, I would not.

3 . Another issue, is her vacation. I give full timers 5 days of vacation in which they do not need to pay me. So for a part-timer, do I offer this or any portion of it? To me, it seems like a benefit, so I am inclined to not offer it.

I hope this is clear..let me know if you have any questions!
I do a flat rate for 3 days, and charge hourly after that. That way I am getting over half what I would get from a full-timer, but still not getting screwed for over 3 days.

Get everything in writing on your contract so they can't come back and argue.

For vacation, I normally do 5 days/year too. For the part timers I don't give any. I also have paid holidays.

Tags
fulltime family, part time family, vacation policy