Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential Client Following Me..
daycare 02:59 PM 11-16-2011
So last week I had an interview with a really nice, yet skeptical family.

Met the entire family, including the grandpa...Who had some stuff to stay.

I thought that it went ok. I was not super crazy about the family, but said that I would get back to them, maybe schedule another appointment to see how that one goes.

Well a few days later I see this car parked near the park where we play. I am always very observant of my surroundings..

Well I start staring at the car and eventually it leaves. I make note of the car, color, make, model, year etc...

So I think that I am just being crazy. BTW I did see the car the family drove up in at the time of the interview, but did not put it all together at that time that it was the same car.

Well on MOnday we went to the library, I happen to see this car again. I got all of the kids in the car quickly and took a different route home.

I thought ok, now this is weird, but what can I do. Maybe someone from their family was using the library. The town is a little on the small side and I could not tell if someone was in the car or not.....

Ok shake it off.

Well about 10 minutes ago I had someone come to the door trying to sell something. Yes they ignored my sign....

When I open the door, I can see across the street from my house is this car again. So I decide ok all the kids are sleeping, let me go see what they want. As I walk down the steps of my home, the car pulls away and drives off.

I am 100% certain that it is someone from this family..

What should I do? Call the police? They have not done anything to us, but are creeping me out big time and I do not feel safe........

UUUUGHGHGHGHHGHHGHGH is there a full moon or something? Whats with all the craziness??
wdmmom 03:19 PM 11-16-2011
Well, I definitely WOULDN'T be calling them back for another interview!

If the behavior keeps up, I'd definitely be reporting it to the police. You could definitely classify it as STALKING!

I can see a parents interest in wanting to see you in action...taking the kids to the park and to the library but at the same time, this type of behavior isn't acceptable. I'd be freaking out too!
Crystal 03:21 PM 11-16-2011
I'd call the local police department, let them know you are a provider, what is happening and that it worries you because it could be a pedophile or someone seeking to abduct a child. Give them the info about the vehicle and ask them to drive through every few hours.

CREEPY!
Ariana 03:23 PM 11-16-2011
Could it be that they are trying to make sure you're a good provider? Maybe with all the abuse and over limit accusations going on these days they're trying to "scope you out"? It's definately a little creepy but they might be doing it for the right reasons.
Hunni Bee 03:27 PM 11-16-2011

THAT IS STALKING.

In order for them to show up in places that you are going, they must be watching your house for considerable amounts of time.
small_steps 03:30 PM 11-16-2011
That is creepy...I agree with Crystal. If nothing else they can maybe run the plates on the car and see who it is registered to.
sharlan 03:31 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

THAT IS STALKING.

In order for them to show up in places that you are going, they must be watching your house for considerable amounts of time.
Document the dates and times and call the police. As a parent, I would feel uncomfortable about somebody stalking my kids' provider. As a provider, I would be concerned for the kids' safety.
Kaddidle Care 03:37 PM 11-16-2011
Did you get the license plate number? If you did report it for sure! You ARE being stalked and you are not being paranoid. If you see the car again, just call the police and don't let the person in the car realize that you have seen them.

I was just telling someone on this forum about a situation where a person I knew noticed the same car across the street from her house sitting in a park parking lot watching her Middle School Aged child get off the bus day after day.

They called the police and found out it was a Pedophile!

The Dad took a stroll over with his Very Large, Very intimidating GSD and had a few words with the man. He stopped watching her but who knows who he may be watching now. At least the police knew he was on the prowl again.
Michael 03:37 PM 11-16-2011
It doesn't matter if they are trying to find out if you are a good provider. Call the police and file a complaint today. Put this person on notice with a visit and call from the police. Either way, they will stop stalking you and also know that you are a safe, observant and proactive provider. Never take the chance when it comes to your safety.
beachgrl 03:43 PM 11-16-2011
wow, thats too much..I agree with everyone else, notify the police. I also don't think I would want to deal with that family knowing they are willing to do such instead of actually asking if they could come and observe you..sheesh.
daycare 03:45 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Could it be that they are trying to make sure you're a good provider? Maybe with all the abuse and over limit accusations going on these days they're trying to "scope you out"? It's definately a little creepy but they might be doing it for the right reasons.
if they wanted to do this, they should have said something and why woudl they drive away when I tried to approach them..

Thanks for responding ladies... I am calling the police now..
Ariana 03:47 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
if they wanted to do this, they should have said something and why woudl they drive away when I tried to approach them..

Thanks for responding ladies... I am calling the police now..
Good point!
SilverSabre25 03:57 PM 11-16-2011
oh daycare! How creepy!

I'm glad you're calling the cops. Stay safe!
Cat Herder 03:59 PM 11-16-2011
Keep us updated.
nannyde 03:59 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
It doesn't matter if they are trying to find out if you are a good provider. Call the police and file a complaint today. Put this person on notice with a visit and call from the police. Either way, they will stop stalking you and also know that you are a safe, observant and proactive provider. Never take the chance when it comes to your safety.
What he said
daycare 04:02 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
oh daycare! How creepy!

I'm glad you're calling the cops. Stay safe!
just got off the phone. they are coming to take a report and to see if they can see anything on my video cams.

Of course there will be NO second interview for this family and if I see them I will call the police right away.... I just don't get this....I hope I can sleep tonight...

Thank god we just had our video cams put in a few months back. there are three of them on the front of the house. I am thinking crazy now... But its hard not to, because these people know where I live, know that I am home alone with kids alot and know just way way too much..

UGH...ok now I get to wait for the police...
Michael 04:09 PM 11-16-2011
You now have the right state of mind and are prepared. Do not stress over this and relax.
Kaddidle Care 04:17 PM 11-16-2011
They were there for the interview - so you have their phone number and address right?

The key is always the license plate number. You HAVE to get it! Hopefully your camera picked it up.
daycare 04:24 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
They were there for the interview - so you have their phone number and address right?

The key is always the license plate number. You HAVE to get it! Hopefully your camera picked it up.
I do have a phone number, but no address.

I think that this has taught me that I will need to start taking small applications of prospective clients... Ugh..

oH they are here, brb
countrymom 04:45 PM 11-16-2011
that is creepy. Why did gpa come to the interview. Maybe its him who's doing this. I'm like you, very observent, I don't let people in parks take pictures of my kids either.
mismatchedsocks 04:52 PM 11-16-2011
I would start a mini file for them. Times dates etc that you saw them. Any info you know on the family. Get their address, with google shouldnt be too hard, then drive by their house get ALL of the cars licenses plates that are parked their with description of people/etc.

Glad you called the cops, and hope they can see something. if not at least its on file, and keep an eye out. I would however call the family back and say "i have filled the spot, thanks for the interview", that way if they were "checking you out" they may stop!?! good luck!

Scary!
dave4him 05:58 PM 11-16-2011
Get the police involved. Sometimes they will patrol around your street just to make sure. I plan on letting them know soon as i get started we have a daycare in my house. I dont like that one bit!
laundrymom 06:31 PM 11-16-2011
Is there any update??
daycare 07:38 PM 11-16-2011
sorry the police came and was here for almost 2 hours, then had to get dinner done...just sat down..

So basically, there is not too much that the police can really do at this point right now.

They took a full report, took my video recordings from my surveillance and asked tons of questions about the whole situation.

I was told that I need to talk to a few of my trusted DCP about it and ask them to also look out for this vehicle during drop off and pick up.

I was told to call them right away if I see them anywhere.

Also, it was a lady that was driving the car when I saw it drive away today.

The officer was super nice and said he will let night duty and morning duty know about this situation and ask them to drive by. This will at least alert the person that I have called the police.

I don't want to discuss too much that went on, because this is a public form and as we all learned earlier, we have to watch what we post out on the web.

In the end, the police officer said that I am safe and so is my family. He told me to stay inside tomorrow with the kids and not to answer the door anymore unless I know who it is.......

I am going to lay low until I hear back from the PD.

Oh and one last thing....the police officer also suggest that I create an application that requires a person to write all of their information, maybe even ask to see their ID to verify that it's legit. Keep it and file it.
He said I should have a record on any person that has ever stepped foot in my house. He said stores do, you should too...

Ugh...what a crazy day it has been
laundrymom 07:45 PM 11-16-2011
Stay safe. I hope you never see them again.
daycare 08:22 PM 11-16-2011
thanks..... Thank goodness my few years of law enforcement paid off...lol

I am happy that I am so over observant the way that I am, think it's from what I learned back in those days.

HOwever, I am still freaked out....I can't help it. I don't know what I expected the police officers to do to make me feel better. ok, well the cute officer coudl have hugged me, that would have made me feel better......lol jk

But I just feel like now things are very highlighted and I have to now tell some DCP. I just hope that they don't feel that their childs safety is at risk in anyway.

I know I did the right thing here and I am just going to do all I can to keep everyone safe...

Ugh I hope I sleep......
mommiesherie 08:52 PM 11-16-2011
I called police a couple months ago. A car was parked at church behind my house in a strange place. I didn't recognize the car and I know most of them that are there a lot. This person was watching us play outside. They were there a long long time. So I called the po po. When they got here car tried to leave but the police blocked them from leaving. Talked a long time then let her go. He said she had a terrible day at work and took an extra long lunch and came there to just get away from the world. She worked close by and he it all checked out. Officer was so nice and talked with the kids some. I apologized for taking up his time and he said never ever hesitate to call and let us come check it out. You never know when it could turn into a bad situation. Good advice when in doubt give em a call. Our job is to protect the little boogers we care for
dave4him 09:50 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
He said she had a terrible day at work and took an extra long lunch and came there to just get away from the world. She worked close by and he it all checked out.
Ive had those days before. I try not to park near schools or crowded parks though. LOL i got a lot more stares before i had kids though
Meyou 02:37 AM 11-17-2011
Oh my goodness daycare! I'm so happy to hear you called the police. Stay safe.
Meeko 07:03 AM 11-17-2011
Keep us updated! In the meantime, hugs to you and be safe.
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

Oh and one last thing....the police officer also suggest that I create an application that requires a person to write all of their information, maybe even ask to see their ID to verify that it's legit. Keep it and file it.
He said I should have a record on any person that has ever stepped foot in my house. He said stores do, you should too...
This is great advice. I've already decided to add the DL/ID information to my contract (to make sure that they are who they say they are) but I never thought to ask for this information during the interview.

I guess I wonder however how many potential clients would be put off if asked for their personal information. I know I'd like to ask for at least their names and birthdates so if in case something does happen I have their names and age.

In any case, I'm glad you called the police too and glad that they'll be keeping an eye out on you. Hopefully by you walking towards the car and them knowing that you know they are watching and by you calling the police it'll end whoever it is following you. If it's the family and they were only trying to see if you were a good DC provider I hope that they're embarrassed because they got caught. If it's someone else like some creep I hope that he's too scared to come back. Be Safe!!
Tags:potential client, safety, stalker
Reply Up