Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suspicious Man?
EchoMom 08:05 PM 10-04-2012
Do you find this suspicious or am I over reacting?

I have seen an older man in the neighborhood walking and training his Collie puppy. The first time I saw him he was in what I assume was his front yard. I walk my group of six kids and my own dog around the neighborhood most days. People recognize us, we're pretty obvious. :P

First time he was in his front yard with his Collie puppy on a leash when we happened to walk by. He just told the dog to sit and stay, just training his puppy.

My mom says she's seen the same man and puppy walking back and forth in across from our house. We live on a court so going back and forth isn't unreasonable I guess, but we don't live near him. Near enough that I can walk toddlers around, but not near enough that you'd expect to see him in front of our house.

Well TODAY, I saw him walking his puppy on the opposite side of the street from us going the OPPOSITE way. But when we walked by, he started going the SAME direction as us, but staying behind us, still on the opposite side of the street. He kept trailing us. HE STOPPED WHENEVER WE STOPPED. I didn't think anything of it at first. I figured he was just teaching his puppy to walk nicely on a leash and to ignore children and another dog as distractions. But as you can imagine, 6 infants and toddlers walk SLOW. We crawl on boulders, pick up mulch, blow dandelions gone to seed, etc.

But he NEVER PASSED us and moved on. We even stopped and I let 3 kids climb onto a boulder in someone's yard and we must have been there stopped letting them play on the boulder for 8 straight minutes and still the man DIDN'T MOVE ON, he still stood with his puppy in a sit stay command. That was what really creeped me out and made me realize he was stopping everytime we stopped. I then put my DS, 13 month old, youngest walker, back in the stroller, popped the safety band on the 2 1/2 year old girl to make sure she stuck with us, and we then stopped dawdling and briskly headed back to finish our walk and home.

What should I do???? Do you think there's really something wrong with this or is it just an older man training his puppy, or someone who just likes to watch kids???? Is there such a thing as an older man with a puppy who just likes to watch kids inoccently????

What should I do? It makes me nervous, but I also don't want to never take a walk anymore, we NEED it! But with one adult and 6 kids and a dog, if anyone tried to snatch a kid, what would I do?!

On a side note, for those who take group walks, do you carry any kind of protection? What would you do if a stray dog tried to bite a kid?
SilverSabre25 08:16 PM 10-04-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Do you find this suspicious or am I over reacting?

I have seen an older man in the neighborhood walking and training his Collie puppy. The first time I saw him he was in what I assume was his front yard. I walk my group of six kids and my own dog around the neighborhood most days. People recognize us, we're pretty obvious. :P

First time he was in his front yard with his Collie puppy on a leash when we happened to walk by. He just told the dog to sit and stay, just training his puppy.

My mom says she's seen the same man and puppy walking back and forth in across from our house. We live on a court so going back and forth isn't unreasonable I guess, but we don't live near him. Near enough that I can walk toddlers around, but not near enough that you'd expect to see him in front of our house.

Well TODAY, I saw him walking his puppy on the opposite side of the street from us going the OPPOSITE way. But when we walked by, he started going the SAME direction as us, but staying behind us, still on the opposite side of the street. He kept trailing us. HE STOPPED WHENEVER WE STOPPED. I didn't think anything of it at first. I figured he was just teaching his puppy to walk nicely on a leash and to ignore children and another dog as distractions. But as you can imagine, 6 infants and toddlers walk SLOW. We crawl on boulders, pick up mulch, blow dandelions gone to seed, etc.

But he NEVER PASSED us and moved on. We even stopped and I let 3 kids climb onto a boulder in someone's yard and we must have been there stopped letting them play on the boulder for 8 straight minutes and still the man DIDN'T MOVE ON, he still stood with his puppy in a sit stay command. That was what really creeped me out and made me realize he was stopping everytime we stopped. I then put my DS, 13 month old, youngest walker, back in the stroller, popped the safety band on the 2 1/2 year old girl to make sure she stuck with us, and we then stopped dawdling and briskly headed back to finish our walk and home.

What should I do???? Do you think there's really something wrong with this or is it just an older man training his puppy, or someone who just likes to watch kids???? Is there such a thing as an older man with a puppy who just likes to watch kids inoccently????

What should I do? It makes me nervous, but I also don't want to never take a walk anymore, we NEED it! But with one adult and 6 kids and a dog, if anyone tried to snatch a kid, what would I do?!

On a side note, for those who take group walks, do you carry any kind of protection? What would you do if a stray dog tried to bite a kid?
1. Is there such a thing as an older man with a puppy who just likes to watch kids inoccently????
Yes of course there is such a thing. Doesn't mean he is...but it doesn't mean he ISN'T either.

2. Yes, that's a bit alarming. I would mix up your schedule for awhile, and if you keep seeing him, if it keeps seeming alarming, then maybe, maybe call the police non-emergency line about it.

3. My thought is that he might be hoping to socialize the puppy with kids. BUT--he's kind of going about it the wrong way, methinks.

4. I don't carry protection, but the thought has crossed my mind. We did have a problem with some mean dogs running loose about a year ago. I had to call animal control on them several times--dobermans, I think they were, and once one had me trapped IN my house! Growling viciously every time I tried to open the front door of my OWN house So yeah. I have considered carrying mace/pepper spray "just in case".

5. I really, really, REALLY don't think that anyone would ever try to snatch a child when there's an adult and a dog around...I just...don't think that would happen. And anyway, the statistics on a stranger abduction are SO FREAKING LOW that it's almost inconceivable to imagine that something of that nature is being considered.
EchoMom 08:22 PM 10-04-2012
Oh and my schedule already is pretty crazy varied. We go for walks anywhere from 8am-11am and they can be 30min-1hour long and although we're in the same general area (I mean how far can 2 year olds walk), we do take somewhat different streets.

I don't REALLY think someone would try to snatch a kid, but I do worry what DOES he want??? And I'm nervous if I see him again. I was thinking of just getting out my camera phone and very OBVIOUSLY taking his picture. Maybe if he thinks he's been spotted he'll avoid us, and if it's inoccent maybe he'll realize he's being creepy?
SilverSabre25 08:27 PM 10-04-2012
Oh and my schedule already is pretty crazy varied. We go for walks anywhere from 8am-11am and they can be 30min-1hour long and although we're in the same general area (I mean how far can 2 year olds walk), we do take somewhat different streets.

I don't REALLY think someone would try to snatch a kid, but I do worry what DOES he want??? And I'm nervous if I see him again. I was thinking of just getting out my camera phone and very OBVIOUSLY taking his picture. Maybe if he thinks he's been spotted he'll avoid us, and if it's inoccent maybe he'll realize he's being creepy?
Could you have your husband come with you for awhile? Or go talk to him? Or, if your husband is like mine (geeky and about as intimidating as a wet noodle), do you have an intimidating/burly friend/relative who could go along and chat with the fellow?

The guy may really just be trying to get his pup used to the presence of kids...or of your dog or something. I *doubt* it's sinister.
crazydaycarelady 08:32 PM 10-04-2012
I'm guessing he probably is trying to aclimate the puppy to people, kids, and different situations and noise. He may just be lonely and like to watch kids play too. I have an older lady next door and she always comments that she loves to hear the kids playing. She also just watches them sometimes for the enjoyment of it.
daycarediva 03:35 AM 10-05-2012
There is an older man who brings his dog to a close by dog park/playground. When I first moved and reopened here, he REALLY creeped me out. He would talk to all of the kids, ask if they would like to pet his dog (sweet old golden retreiver) ask names, that sort of thing. I finally had a conversation with the man and learned that his five children were grown and spread all over the country, all had children he was lucky to see once a year, his wife had passed away, and they were like the old fashioned neighborhood 'parents'. He had sweet stories about his wife making cookies and handing them out to the kids after school. He didn't want to be a burden and move close to family, he was just terribly lonely and adored children.

I am NOT saying that is what this guy is up to, but it COULD be.

I carry a switch blade in my pocket. We have a LOT of dogs here and some bark/growl against the fence/lead when we walk by and don't seem very friendly.
Sugar Magnolia 03:39 AM 10-05-2012
I used to work in a restaurant. We started noticing a new customer of ours would come in for carryout and just stand at the counter and stare at us as we worked. Some people would complain about the "creepy old man", and want me as the manager to get rid of him. One day, I just started talking to him. Turns out he was just a lonely widower. He was just hoping for some conversion. I talked to him every day he came in, he wound up being my very favorite customer.

If this man with the puppy is ever around when the children are not there, like on a saturday or something, maybe just say hi. Is he quite elderly, like over 70? I could be wrong, but I am wondering if he is just lonely. Procede with caution, because kids are involved, but please give him a chance.
lovemykidstoo 03:53 AM 10-05-2012
If you know where he lives, you can easily find out his name and check the Sex Offender Registry just to be on the safe side. Not that all creepers are on that, but doesn't hurt to look. I think I would try to strike up a conversation with him too. Just something simple like, oh hi, i see you when I go for a walk with the kids blah blah blah. I'm sure he's harmless. LIke someone said, stranger abductions are so rare. Typically abductions are from people that are known to a child. Not to say it couldn't happen.
Kaddidle Care 04:08 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I'm guessing he probably is trying to aclimate the puppy to people, kids, and different situations and noise. He may just be lonely and like to watch kids play too. I have an older lady next door and she always comments that she loves to hear the kids playing. She also just watches them sometimes for the enjoyment of it.
I think it just may be part of training, especially if the dog is being trained for seeing eye or another service situation. If you see him with the pup when you are not with the kids, talk to him. It all may be totally innocent.
DBug 04:50 AM 10-05-2012
I put alot of faith in intuition. I'd make sure I watch him closely the next time you're out for a walk and you see him. Watch his body language, listen to what he's saying to his dog (if possible). I'd even cross the road to his side and see what his reaction is, and pay very close attention to what your gut tells you. Sometimes we unconsciously pick up on warning signals that we wouldn't be able to explain in words. If your gut tells you he's up to something, than I'd either try to stay away from him, or maybe even call the police for advice. But who knows, you may be able to strike up a conversation with him and find out, like the other posters, that he's just lonely and wanting to be in the vicinity of other people.
dave4him 06:45 AM 10-05-2012
Okay as a guy who will one day be an old man and probably have a puppy who likes to go for a walk. I could easily imagine myself wanting to take the puppy around kids and even enjoy watching kids play. If the guy is around anyway you might see if anyone else knows him or see if you can get to know him. Im sure ill be an old man walking around with a puppy some day, i would rather have people come up and talk to me then assume im some crazy guy
Willow 07:07 AM 10-05-2012
Sounds like he was proofing.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Traini...ment&id=240884

It's one thing to teach a pup to listen, and another entirely to teach a pup to listen around distractions. A provider with a handful of kiddos are a HUGE distraction to a dog, especially a Collie, many of whom end up under trained, under worked and trying to herd kids due to over stimulation by over zealously nipping at their heels leading to all sorts of other issues. He sounds like one of the very few responsible owners of the breed if you ask me!

Because of his age he probably isn't aware that he's coming across a little creepy. Odds are he doesn't have a lot of friends he can work the dog around so he's using what's going to naturally occur in the dogs world, which is genius. Teach it now that you're not a big deal, and the dog won't give you any trouble in the future.

If that is what he's doing you should throw him a kudos next time you see him. Much better than ending up with a dog who barks, races about and lunges at your daycare kids when he passes your yard o leash or when you pass their yard as a group. IMHO far too many people who have dogs are failing them and putting the safety of their communities in peril by NOT working their dog the way he seems to be.

As long as the dog is with him during these encounters that's what I would assume he is doing. Next time just ask him kindly, "working with your dog over there?" And when he confirms it'll ease your fears.
itlw8 07:21 AM 10-05-2012
It sound like he is training the dog. But this weekend take a walk without the kids and stop by his house. Introduce yourself and let him know you are interested in what he is doing because it was making you nervous

My neighborhood is so empty during the week that it would be nice to know someone had an eye out for trouble.
SilverSabre25 07:26 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Introduce yourself and let him know you are interested in what he is doing because it was making you nervous
That's a really good idea--but I still say take hubby or a burly relative! I'm a wimp though and HATE talking to people I don't know, so yeah.
SunshineMama 07:47 AM 10-05-2012
My advice for you is to go with your gut. Read Gavin DeBecker's "The Gift of Fear." It has a lot of great stories and explanations about why our intuition tells us something. A lot of victims "just knew" something was off but ignored it, and later realized why they knew something wasnt right.

There is a reason that you feel the way that you do. The man's behavior is socially awkward, for one reason or another.

I am not saying he has mal-intent, but I am not saying he doesnt, kwim? A normal person doesnt follow a group of kids around, especially without explanation. If you see him again I would bluntly ask him why he is following you so closely and stopping when you stop. That's so weird.
youretooloud 10:53 AM 10-05-2012
This is a total change of subject....

But, why would you let your daycare kids play on a boulder in someone else's yard? I realize every part of the country is different, but I wouldn't ever send my kids or dog into someone else's yard to play.
melissa ann 11:39 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

But, why would you let your daycare kids play on a boulder in someone else's yard? I realize every part of the country is different, but I wouldn't ever send my kids or dog into someone else's yard to play.

I wondered the same thing, too.
sharlan 11:45 AM 10-05-2012

I wondered that too. If a child were to be hurt, the homeowner could be sued because of your actions.

Back to the topic. I would go over to the man's house, knock on his door, and tell him that his actions are concerning you. I would venture that he's looking for human interaction. (After being stuck in the house this week, I'm ready to attack the mailman for someone to talk to. Problem is, he's really unfriendly.)
EchoMom 11:59 AM 10-05-2012

It's not very big. Don't think boulder to an adult, thing boulder to a 2 year old. It's just a big glorified rock that 2 toddlers can climb and stand on. And it's RIGHT next to the sidewalk. Like, I'm standing right there giving them a hand up with my feet on the sidewalk and they are 2 inches into the yard.

I don't know, it's fun to them and I remember many photos of me as a kid posing on top of my neighbor's much bigger boulder.

Seemed inoccent and fun to me. It's just part of our walk around the neighborhood. We sit and watch trees getting cut down (from a safe distance of course), watch the garbage truck collect, watch the mail carrier deliver to the houses, we pick up crab apples, autumn leaves, and dandelions. Climbing a rock just seems like an obvious thing to do when presented with the opportunity.
youretooloud 01:09 PM 10-05-2012
It's not very big.
It isn't the rock I was worried about. I would encourage any child to climb the big rocks.. I'm all about climbing, jumping, going too high, etc. I would give anything to have boulders and tree stumps for the kids to climb on.

I was just wondering about the neighbors. In the Southwest, you wouldn't send your kids on someone else's property or landscaping to play. I don't even let my dogs pee in the neighborhood yards.
sharlan 01:20 PM 10-05-2012
It's not very big. Don't think boulder to an adult, thing boulder to a 2 year old. It's just a big glorified rock that 2 toddlers can climb and stand on. And it's RIGHT next to the sidewalk. Like, I'm standing right there giving them a hand up with my feet on the sidewalk and they are 2 inches into the yard.

I don't know, it's fun to them and I remember many photos of me as a kid posing on top of my neighbor's much bigger boulder.

Seemed inoccent and fun to me. It's just part of our walk around the neighborhood. We sit and watch trees getting cut down (from a safe distance of course), watch the garbage truck collect, watch the mail carrier deliver to the houses, we pick up crab apples, autumn leaves, and dandelions. Climbing a rock just seems like an obvious thing to do when presented with the opportunity.
In SoCal, you would never enter someone else's property without asking. My children have been taught from day one to not even pick a dandelion from some's yard without asking. The people across the street have a lemon tree that hangs over the fence. My kids know not to pick one without asking the owners first.

I understand different areas react differently. CA is a sue for fun state.
Michael 01:49 PM 10-05-2012
Interesting this thread revolves about two situations regarding trust; A neighbor that could be a pedophile or another neighbor could sue for climbing on their rock.

Even though child molesters can use puppies to lure children this guy is a neighbor. You know where he lives and he "probably" is training/proofing his dog. I know my grandfather use to love walking his dog around the neighborhood and would always stop to watch people. Why not take a little time to have a conversation with him and ask how the puppy is doing?
EchoMom 02:10 PM 10-05-2012
It isn't the rock I was worried about. I would encourage any child to climb the big rocks.. I'm all about climbing, jumping, going too high, etc. I would give anything to have boulders and tree stumps for the kids to climb on.

I was just wondering about the neighbors. In the Southwest, you wouldn't send your kids on someone else's property or landscaping to play. I don't even let my dogs pee in the neighborhood yards.
So what do you do when your dog needs to poop? The norm around here is to take poop bags with you to pick it up.
sharlan 02:25 PM 10-05-2012
So what do you do when your dog needs to poop? The norm around here is to take poop bags with you to pick it up.
Your dog would be pooping in your yard. You would not be letting your dog poop in my yard, bags or no bags. My neighbor's dog pooped in my yard. I picked it up with a shovel and put it back in his yard before my gardener came.

I wouldn't be walking around with a bunch of little kids and a baggie or two of dog poop. (Sorry, but that's one thing I can't handle.)
Country Kids 02:38 PM 10-05-2012
Everyone here carries "Poop" bags for their dogs. The parks even supply them in these little boxes so you can grab them when your walking your dog.

I think you can even buy them at the pet stores now.
sharlan 02:53 PM 10-05-2012
I think they do, here, too.
daycare 04:15 PM 10-05-2012
Wow this does seem odd. I would think that if he meant no harm, he would make it a point to tell you so. There is a very cute asian man with a very long beard ( like one you would see in a story book) at the end of my block he walks around my court every morning, afternoon and night. He does not have a pet, but he will stop and talk to every single one of my DCK, high five them and tell them listen to your teacher. However, when I first moved here, he would just walk besides us or behind us when I took the kids for a walk. Finally one day I think he could tell I was a little bothered by him and he says to me, hello mam, I don't want to frighten you or the kids, I live over here and I walk around here all the time. He told me his name (still don't know what it is ) and we shook hands....

I would just talk with him. After talking with him see how you feel... I know that they so go with your gut, but I always try not to judge anyone. I have been judged my whole life because of where I originate from.
Country Kids 04:26 PM 10-05-2012
Maybe he's a "Secret Agent Man"! The dog is part of his coverup.-

OK, OK-its Friday and I'm really reaching here for you-
youretooloud 08:38 PM 10-05-2012
We take poop bags.. but, we make sure our dogs have done their business at home first, then go for some exercise.

I would be kind of mortified if my dog did something on a neighbor's yard.

I realize it's very regional though... it just isn't acceptable here.. you don't enter someone's property, or let your dog use their yard.

*Our yards are very small, and close to the street.... we have 7 ft block walls in our back yards, and all front yards are professionally landscaped. So, it's not like grass just grows willy nilly here, and if you have grass you work hard to keep it green. If you have rock (most people here have rock) you don't want others messing it up.
mom2many 11:08 PM 10-05-2012
OK...I just have to throw something out there. Several years ago, I was taking my S/A kids to my neighborhood park almost every day during the summer vacation. We didn't always go at the same time, but almost every time we went, there was a guy in his early 40's wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses lurking around. He was always alone with his puppy and often times, he would just sit with his puppy outside the bathroom. Different kids would congregate around him and want to pet his puppy. It bothered me that he avoided all adult contact and every time I saw him, I got creeped out.

On several different occasions I called 911 and felt stupid thinking it was just my active imagination. Of course the cops took forever to respond and he was long gone each time I called.

Later that summer, I went onto a website that shows sexual predators in my area and the 2nd face to show up is this guy that was at the park all summer long and he lives right down the street from the park. I immediately notified the police and they put me in touch with a detective.

A few weeks later, school starts and as I'm picking up kids from school, I see him walking his dog down the street. It's totally innocent, but at this point I'm really concerned, since so many kids are without adult supervision. I once again called 911 and was put in touch with this same detective. I never saw him again after that.

I truly believe we are given instincts that alert us and tell us if things are not quite right. This guy might be totally on the up and up, but I was shocked when I found someone undesirable living just blocks from me!
Tags:safety
Reply Up