Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Homemade Cleaning Solutions
kitkat 10:36 AM 04-10-2013
Those of you who make your own cleaning solutions, or anything else homemade instead of store bought...wipes, air freshener, etc, what is your favorite "recipe"? What are your favorite essential oils to add for scents? I would like to switch to something more natural and have tried vinegar solutions before, but I definitely need to add a scent. I know I like lavender, vanilla, and cinnamon (to an extent), but would like more ideas. Any other tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Willow 10:46 AM 04-10-2013
Homemade febreeze/air freshner:

Water
Baking soda
Your favorite liquid fabric softner (I use Downey Infusions, Orchid Allure)

After changing a poopy diaper a spritz on the shower curtain or bath rug is all it takes to suck the stink right out of the room lol
MsLaura529 10:49 AM 04-10-2013
Oh yes, I'm excited for this thread! I've been wanting to try out some homemade cleaning things, but cannot stand the smell of vinegar. Can't wait to see what you all come up with.
EAP 10:52 AM 04-10-2013
Baking soda in tub, sinks for pots. I use a 70/30 split for water/vinegar and clean so much with it - I have gone as high as 50/50 but the smell is too much. I haven't tried to make any thing but do use green cleaning products - Charlies is our laundry soap and we use methods version of windex - I have tried vinegar and newspaper on windows but it wasn't the same. Windows are the only thing I use papertowels on.
Meyou 10:59 AM 04-10-2013
I use 100% vinegar with a generous squirt of Dawn dishsoap to spray on the bath and shower. I spray it in the morning a couple of times a week and let it sit then spray off. I rarely have to scrub anymore.

I also use 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning but I soak orange peels in the vinegar for 2 weeks before using it. It adds orange oil power to the cleaner and it smells nice. I put a touch of Dawn in this mix too. It cleans better than anything I have ever bought.

I do my windows with vinegar/water and paper towel.

Windows are the only thing I use paper towel for as well. I have a large stack of dish cloths in the kitchen and I use those to clean up. I keep a little bin in my kitchen for the dirty cleaning laundry and take it down to be washed each night.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:05 AM 04-10-2013
My basic cleaning spray is a bottle of water plus several squirts of green (purchased) dish soap plus five drops of tea tree oil. (We love the scent, and it's antibacterial. I sometimes use grapefruit essential oil in addition or instead.)

Liquid hand soap:
2 C. water
6 T. liquid castille soap (Dr. Bronner's, usually tea tree)
2 t. vegetable glycerine
5 drops essential oil (usually grapefruit or tea tree)

Laundry detergent:
2 C. grated castille soap (usually peppermint or tea tree)
1 C. baking soda
1 C. washing soda
1 C. borax
(I only need a tiny bit--maybe two T.--in my front-loader washer)
Luna 11:28 AM 04-10-2013
Unless I need to disinfect, I just use microfibre cloths and plain water. Dry microfibre cloths are great for dusting, and a wet one followed by a dry one will clean just about anything. I especially like them for mirrors and windows...no streaking at all! My biggest problem with them is remembering not to put them in the laundry with fabric softener...they lose their magic and become just ordinary cleaning rags.
Crazy In Mo 12:19 PM 04-10-2013
I use vinegar and baking soda to clean everything! Tubs, sinks, toilets, stains on carpet, stains on clothes, OVEN, microwave, mopping solution, shining up my old cookie sheets I have been using it for about 2 years now and can't believe I EVER bought cleaning products all those years. I also make my laundry soap and dishwasher detergent but I don't have the recipes in front of me.
Crazy In Mo 12:20 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
Unless I need to disinfect, I just use microfibre cloths and plain water. Dry microfibre cloths are great for dusting, and a wet one followed by a dry one will clean just about anything. I especially like them for mirrors and windows...no streaking at all! My biggest problem with them is remembering not to put them in the laundry with fabric softener...they lose their magic and become just ordinary cleaning rags.
I use microfiber cloths also... They are amazing!!!
Starburst 01:46 PM 04-10-2013
This was mentioned in another thread but White vinegar for a bad smell in the washing machine or for cat/ dog urine odors. It kills odors and bacteria that causes them.

I used to love watching that British show with the two housekeepers that helped people find simple house cleaning tips and tricks. They had one where you make your own glass/mirror washing solution with water and lemon juice and instead of a cloth, paper towel, or sponge; using newspaper or a squeegee another thing they mentioned-washing windows should be done either on a cloudy day or after 4 pm because the direct sunlight dries the solution too fast.

And there is this one lady who does home daycare and also does cleaning/organizing tips video blog on YouTube (Malitose79) she did one on cleaning floor boards and crown molding with drier sheets (they still work pretty well even after they been through the drier to so you don't have to waste a fresh one)- she said she got that one from Pintrist. I also love reading Women's World Magazine for ideas.
Rachel 05:08 AM 04-11-2013
Take a glass jar. Put all citrus peels in it and fill with vinegar (if you don't have many peels to start make sure they are covered). Keep stuffing in until no more can fit and you can pour off the citrus vinegar to use for cleaning instead of plain.
Scout 08:39 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
This was mentioned in another thread but White vinegar for a bad smell in the washing machine or for cat/ dog urine odors. It kills odors and bacteria that causes them.

I used to love watching that British show with the two housekeepers that helped people find simple house cleaning tips and tricks. They had one where you make your own glass/mirror washing solution with water and lemon juice and instead of a cloth, paper towel, or sponge; using newspaper or a squeegee another thing they mentioned-washing windows should be done either on a cloudy day or after 4 pm because the direct sunlight dries the solution too fast.

And there is this one lady who does home daycare and also does cleaning/organizing tips video blog on YouTube (Malitose79) she did one on cleaning floor boards and crown molding with drier sheets (they still work pretty well even after they been through the drier to so you don't have to waste a fresh one)- she said she got that one from Pintrist. I also love reading Women's World Magazine for ideas.
Are you talking about "How Clean is your House?" loved that show!!
Starburst 10:07 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Are you talking about "How Clean is your House?" loved that show!!
Yes, that was the name of it. I thought it was funny that they even had one episode were the messy homeowner did housekeeping for a living!
LoraJenkins 07:47 PM 04-11-2013
I make my own laundry detergent....have for a while and it REALLY saves $ and I know exactly what is in it (sensitive skin issues for Hubby and children). Here is the one I use:

2c. Borax
2c. Washing soda
1 C Oxygen Cleaner (Oxiclean)

Mix well and store in an air-tight container. I use 1 Tbsp. For a reg load and 2 Tbsp for a really dirty load. Works great even in cold wash!!'''
AmyKidsCo 08:16 AM 04-12-2013
I like the smell of vinegar - it means "clean" to me, LOL! You can put a couple drops of essential oil in the vinegar if you want.
Reply Up