Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How “daycare” became “school.”
LovetheSun 11:28 PM 09-30-2016
I thought that was a good article! And I could particularly relate to this part "Children are often rushed from one activity to the next ... [and] that approach can be counterproductive to childhood development."

So true, in the past I felt so guilty believing we didn't do enough for the children during the day but now I am trying to find the right balance and remind myself that they do learn continuously

http://www.theatlantic.com/education...school/501671/
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:
I thought that was a good article! And I could particularly relate to this part "Children are often rushed from one activity to the next ... [and] that approach can be counterproductive to childhood development."

So true, in the past I felt so guilty believing we didn't do enough for the children during the day but now I am trying to find the right balance and remind myself that they do learn continuously

http://www.theatlantic.com/education...school/501671/
Great article!

I soooo agree with the statement "For babies and toddlers, that approach can be counterproductive to childhood development." in reference to structured, scheduled routine and "school" overall.
Stephnrich 08:11 AM 10-03-2016
Interesting read - thanks for sharing!
Play Care 11:41 AM 10-03-2016
I agree!

I cringe when they call it school because the expectation is a school environment. All the ratings programs seem to focus on how the environment is set up - with child sized furniture, art work hanging at certain heights, etc.

I already know when I get to the CDA eval I'm going to have to make some changes to my dc room - the same one that's worked well for 11 years...

Let's call it what it is, the institutionalizing of child care.
Pestle 12:06 PM 10-03-2016
I think the institutionalized school system is a crock--what's toxic for the toddlers is toxic for the big kids, too. The Montessori expert is right; learning occurs at all ages, and if you study Montessori, or unschooling, or Waldorf, or many other alternative movements, you'll see parents, care providers, and educators working together to create a healthy, play-filled childhood that turns out well-educated young adults.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:25 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree!

I cringe when they call it school because the expectation is a school environment. All the ratings programs seem to focus on how the environment is set up - with child sized furniture, art work hanging at certain heights, etc.

I already know when I get to the CDA eval I'm going to have to make some changes to my dc room - the same one that's worked well for 11 years...

Let's call it what it is, the institutionalizing of child care.
Hallelujah!! Someone said it! I want to post this article on my FB, but it will fall on deaf ears, as they say, so until then...
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Hallelujah!! Someone said it! I want to post this article on my FB, but it will fall on deaf ears, as they say, so until then...
Until parents (actually people in general) truly understand what free means, no one is going to "get it".

FREE is the new buzz word and anything that comes with free will be believed and preached.

Free universal preschool is exactly that.

It's free (not really but...) however, the word universal really needs to be heard.

Since when is one size fits all acceptable or even appropriate?
mommyneedsadayoff 12:56 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Until parents (actually people in general) truly understand what free means, no one is going to "get it".

FREE is the new buzz word and anything that comes with free will be believed and preached.

Free universal preschool is exactly that.

It's free (not really but...) however, the word universal really needs to be heard.

Since when is one size fits all acceptable or even appropriate?
I completely agree! FREE college, FREE health care, FREE (or almost free) childcare! Sounds like a novel idea, but when our government is not running off its own funds, then it costs other people money. Parents want "school" because it gives them an out. Sorry for being pessimistic. If they admit it is daycare, then they feel they are compromising on their "job". If it is school, they are expounding on their goals for their kids and therefore, they "care" more or somehow it is different/better than daycare.
Controlled Chaos 08:56 PM 10-03-2016
I just sent this article to a daycare mom. She stayed 30 min after pick up asking my opinion on sending her 3yo to a real real prek next year. She overheard another DCM talking about sending her 4yo to a private prek this year (they are doing it because DCB misses the Kindergarten cut off so they wanted to get him in the private school now, so he can go to Kindy there and then transfer into the public school). They see all their friends in another state posting pics of their kid's first day of "school" since that state has government funded prek3 and prek4. They call it Kindergarten. She keeps being appalled that kids in our backward state don't start Kindergarten until they are 5. Why do they start so later here?!?!!? Drives me crazy. DCM went on about how much she loves me and my program but is worried DCB needs to be with a whole group of kids his own age. DCB is 3. My group consists of 18m, three 2year olds, two 3 year olds, and a 4 year old. DCB is right in the middle. Whatever...I reminded her to give me 2 weeks notice if they decide to put him in a new "school" just for a first day of school pic.
LovetheSun 09:51 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
learning occurs at all ages, and if you study Montessori, or unschooling, or Waldorf, or many other alternative movements, you'll see parents, care providers, and educators working together to create a healthy, play-filled childhood that turns out well-educated young adults.
Well put and is so true. I am loving all your inputs. I am feeling inspired by it and I think is time to update my website!
Tags:qris, quality, race to the top, universal preschool
Reply Up