Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Now They're ALL leaving?
TwinKristi 11:10 PM 09-16-2013
This is my first time starting a thread! So hello first!

I have had a home daycare since last March and was licensed in Dec. I already had a few kids lined up when I was licensed and added a couple more. This year has been really successful but trying as well. I think I did too much too fast. I filled up when I accepted an infant FT about 6wks ago. It was ideal at first! Another PT mom switched her schedule and with another PT dcb they filled up another FT spot! So on top of those I have a baby 4 days a week and some after school kids. Well last Monday the FT mom who started 6wks ago gave me notice that she's quitting her job to stay home! Bummer! That's a big pay cut! I just turned down 2 other interviews for FT kids because I had just accepted him! Ugh! So then Friday rolls around and one of my PT dcb's is also leaving in Oct! He's going to FT preschool and is almost 4 so I understand but crappy timing. Now I'm down to 2, one 3 days and one 4 days plus my own and my after school kids. Then today rolls around and my 4 day a week dcb is leaving after Dec! Ugh!! OMG! Seriously, I'm in shock. This baby I was having a struggle with due to his mom bringing him sick, he was having a hard time sharing and was having bad tantrums. I was this.close to terming them but it didn't seem so bad the last 2wks and I was excited that we moved past that. Now I find out she's putting him in preschool FT (at 23mos) with his 4yr old sister so mom only has one stop before and after work. I get it, whatever works best for their family but sheesh!! They're all leaving at once and it's really stressing me out. I already have an ad on CL (since the week before the first mom gave notice because I was considering terming the other baby) and with a local childcare Facebook page. Plus the county resource and referral agency. This is a HUGE paycut for me to take, like 2/3! Ack! I don't even know what to do! I'm hoping things fill up again soon but it's just so stressful for everyone to leave at once. I just invested in a quad stroller too and sold my double!
No real reason for this post but to vent. I just went from completely full to practically empty in a week!
Michael 11:19 PM 09-16-2013
Congratulations on your first thread.

You should contact the other two FT that you turned down. Let them know you are available.
TwinKristi 11:27 PM 09-16-2013
I'm not sure that I still even have their info, I referred them to other people and its been 6wks or so. My neighbor interviewed with one and it didn't pan out so I'm guessing they've found someone by now.
Nebula 01:30 AM 09-17-2013
Sorry this happened!

Unfortunately, that is the nature of Childcare.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:21 AM 09-17-2013
BTDT

Always keep a waiting list. Normally they have found other care but you never know. I have called people a year later and they weren't happy with what they have found and came to me.

Childcare unfortunately, is this way. Just when I think I am stable, I will loose someone, and sometimes 2 or 3! Hang in there!
MBF 04:31 AM 09-17-2013
I feel for you too! back in the spring, I lost 4/5 in two months, two job transfers and two moves outside the city. I had lots of notice for the moves, both families let me know right away and I filled those spaces. The transfers were both within a month, I just filled the last space in august. Keep advertising and get the word out! Best wishes for filling the spaces with awesome families!
MotherNature 05:31 AM 09-17-2013
Sorry that's happening. Maybe think about putting people on a waiting list in case people leave or you term someone.. hope you fill back up soon.
GabsKids 05:35 AM 09-17-2013
I was also going to suggest calling the full timers you had to turn away. I have been in similar situations and called families that I previously turned away, and they ended up enrolling. So I agree, ALWAYS keep a waiting list. What I normally tell families that inquire when I have no openings is, "I am sorry, I don't have any openings right now. However, if I loose a family I would be happy to get in contact with you if you don't mind me keeping your contact info." Sometimes if I really seem to "hit it off" on the phone with the person, I will even offer a tour. My reasoning is so they can compare my program to others as well as it creates more potential referrals.

Good luck! And hang in there, I think everyone has gone through ups and downs in our business. When you are full you are turning people away. When you have openings no one seems to call.
lovemylife 05:39 AM 09-17-2013
I feel for you! It's the hardest part of the job for me! Just last month I lost 3 of my 5 kids (one is mine so he doesn't really count) I was freaking out for about a month. A week before and a week after the kids left (started school) I was full. Then a mom looses job and child only comes here part time now and taking a full time spot. I'm sorry!!!!!
Familycare71 05:42 AM 09-17-2013
As someone else said- it is the nature of the business... I hope you find replacements soon- at least you have a lot of notice!!
MCC 07:39 AM 09-17-2013
Sorry it's all happening at once, but that is what seems to happen here as well. It's either all or nothing most of the time. In April I went from full with a large wait list to empty in a matter of hours! It took most of the summer to fill back up. BUT it did give me a nice break to just relax and be a stay at home mom for a while, even though money was a little tight.
butterfly 08:20 AM 09-17-2013

I agree to the PP's about keeping a waiting list. Nearly everytime I turn someone down due to being full, I ask them if they would like to be put on my waiting list. I actually had a family that was on my wait list from a year ago. A few months after the intial call, I had an opening so I call them but they were happy where they were at. Then they call me back and say their provider is moving,but now I'm full again - they go back on the wait list. A few months later, I call them again, I again have an opening. This time it works out. So far, they are one of my best families. I would have never had them if I didn't keep putting them on my wait list.
TwinKristi 10:16 AM 09-17-2013
Thanks ladies. It's definitely hard when its all at once. I will definitely keep a wait list in the future!
Tags:losing spots
Reply Up