Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handbook Wording
Kindermom 11:20 AM 01-25-2018
I have learned so much from this forum and all the wonderful and insightful providers on here.

Can anyone help me with some wording? I am working on revising my handbook and there are a few great things that I have learned from you all and would like to implement but am not sure how to phrase them handbook wise.

*Termination of provider at will. (I would like to require 2 weeks written notice from family, but I would like to be able to term at will for safety and sanity reasons if need be)

*Taking your child with you after visit/open door policy. Do you all have this in writing or is it just something you express during the interview?

*Excluding for teething

*excluding post vaccination

Thank you so much!
storybookending 11:31 AM 01-25-2018
After the trial period has been concluded a two week written notice per child must be submitted for any family wishing to discontinue care for any reason. The provider resumes the right to terminate without notice if any of the listed policies are continually violated or if the child in question is causing destruction/harm to other children/provider or making care for the group as a whole difficult.

I don’t exclude for teething but you could have something in your illness policy about if a child is unconsolable for whatever reason or cries for X amount of time for any reason that a parent will me called for pick up and is expected to be picked up within X amount of time after calling.

Please plan immunizations accordingly as a child will need to wait XX hours after being immunizied before returning to care.

I don’t have a written policy about parents coming and going as I haven’t had an issue with this. No one has ever even asked. If their children are here it is because they have to be as everyone else is at work. I only enroll full time clients so I don’t have the stay at home parents types just putting their kids in daycare for socialization/a break that some of you have.
CityGarden 11:58 AM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Kindermom:
*Termination of provider at will. (I would like to require 2 weeks written notice from family, but I would like to be able to term at will for safety and sanity reasons if need be)
If there is a consistent behavioral issue with one child causing harm to his or her friends that is not resolved with our pro-active conflict resolution approach, and if we feel that the child is in need of one-on-one care, we may have to dis-enroll this child from the program. This would only happen in extreme situations when we feel that the child is a consistent danger to the other children in the program, is hindering the program from regular activities for the group, or when we feel the child is in need of services we cannot provide at ABC Daycare.

Additionally, if a parent’s actions are physically or verbally abusive to teaching staff or other families at
ABC Daycare or if they are out of compliance with ABC policies and procedures, we also reserve the right to disenroll
that family from our program. In very rare cases, if we feel there is a clear mis-match between the family approach or values and our program philosophy, we may also dis-enroll that family to safeguard against tensions that are not supportive to the mission of the program.

*Excluding for teething

I do not exclude for teething or post-vaccination but two areas in my illness policy do cover symptoms that can be related to those two items.

For the Health and Safety of all in our program please do not send your child with the following:

Blackcat31 12:04 PM 01-25-2018
I have learned so much from this forum and all the wonderful and insightful providers on here.

Can anyone help me with some wording? I am working on revising my handbook and there are a few great things that I have learned from you all and would like to implement but am not sure how to phrase them handbook wise.

"Written notice of withdraw must be submitted two weeks prior to the end date of services. The provider will also provide written notice of termination of the contract if necessary. In cases where the safety of the provider, the provider's family and/or any of the daycare children becomes an issue termination may be immediate."

*Taking your child with you after visit/open door policy. Do you all have this in writing or is it just something you express during the interview?

"Parents and legal guardians are allowed access to their child ANY time during the day when their child is in attendance. However "visits" are not something ABC Child Care can support as children rarely understand the meaning of "visit" therefore if at any time you would like to pop into care when your child is present, you are welcome to do so but must take your child with you upon leaving."

*Excluding for teething
"Exclusion due to teething may be necessary if the symptoms present cause discomfort or distress for the child. If the teething child requires OTC medication to make it through the day, they need to remain at home until the symptoms subside"

"All child are excluded from care for 24/48 hours after receiving immunizations. To eliminate missed days, please schedule your appointments for immunizations on a Friday or when your child is scheduled to be out of care for /one two full days"

Thank you so much!

I replied in blue....that's pretty much how I word my stuff.
Although I typed that from memory and didn't copy/paste but you get the point.
Kindermom 02:31 PM 01-25-2018
Thank you so much everyone. These are all great suggestions.

In your illness policy, do you have a section in your handbook for parents regarding reportable diseases (for your state) and what diseases they are required to notify you of if their child has it (and therefore you would notify other parents if necessary, keeping the child's identity confidential)
Tags:handbook
Reply Up