Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time
WAHMderful_Life 01:45 PM 04-14-2016
I am just curious to know what other providers nap time guidelines are? what does your parent manual/ agreement state?

I am curious as I am someone that believes in naps and not waking children that need to obviously sleep. Now if a child reaches the 3hr mark its getting a bit long and even for our own child we would open her door maybe turn on the light so that she does wake up on her own. for a child under 2 tho I don't see why they need to be woken up at all.

I am curious as I have a family wanting me to wake up their 2 yr old as he doesn't want to go to sleep at night (i feel this is most likely an issues with lack of authority/discipline) I can tell by pick up and drop off that the parents let him get away with murder. they are only wanting him to sleep 1 1/2 hrs. if let be he would sleep 2 1/2-3hrs, as he is out cold still when I get him up after 2 1/2hrs sometimes.

My daughter no longer sleeps since she was 3 but thats cause she literally won't fall asleep where my nappers all fall asleep and stay asleep. so to me that is how you determine if a nap is needed. I know at his age my daughter stayed up to 10/11pm but she was always like that and would sleep in till like 10. this did change when naps stopped. I just don't understand people that have their kids here all day and just want them to get to bed at night like jeeze you hardly see them in the first place so he wants to stay up with you why is that so bad? They work the same hrs I do so I'm pretty sure they aren't going to sleep at 9pm themselves. I feel they are just trying to weasel in time to themselves at night which I think is selfish, why did you have kids then?

When I reopen after my mat leave I want to have better guide lines for naps. would love to know what other people do? if parents ask for only short naps do you say sorry no can do thats not my policy? I don't want to deal with grouchy tired kids cause I woke them up.
Nurse Jackie 01:56 PM 04-14-2016
I'm in California so we are required to give a 2 hour nap/rest time. Normally at that 2 hour mark someone is up so I go in the room, turn on the lights and start changing diapers. Whom ever is still sleep I let them wake up on their own but I do keep the lights on and the other kids are up playing with toys sometimes in that same room.
KiwiKids 02:11 PM 04-14-2016
I would be willing to wake kids at the 2.5-3hr mark. Most of mine are up by then anyway. I don't take short nappers for full day care. We have a very busy morning and the kids need their rest by mid-day. Without a good nap they fall apart prior to pick up and that's the time my own school age kids come home and they don't need to walk into chaos and try to do homework. I was nervous to make the naps non-negotiable for under 4's but it worked out fine. The family I lost over it was the family that wanted all the rules bent just for them. It wasn't a good fit and it was no big loss.
ColorfulSunburst 06:35 PM 04-14-2016
We have nap time 1pm-3pm. Any requests about nap time are not taken. That's it.
CityGarden 06:44 AM 04-15-2016
I am a sleep advocate for all ages.

That said, I would be willing to gently wake a child after 2 hours. My dd had/has a really early bedtime 7PM so if she napped too late or too long in the afternoon then she was not naturally sleepy when 7PM rolled around and thus would fight going to sleep and would not get the total number of hours of sleep needed.....
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
This. ^^

Except babies. They have their own set of guidelines.
Alisyn 09:05 AM 04-15-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:

Tags:guidelines, guidelines - napping, handbook, sleep arrangement
Reply Up