Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Air Conditioner Safety
Leigh 02:40 PM 05-14-2013
I have one little boy (4 y.o.) who is obsessed with my central air unit outside, and even though it has a guard on top of it, I'd like something to put on or around it so that he can not stick his little fingers in there when I am not looking...does anyone have anything like this or know of anything? I just obsess over safety, and can't stand not having it completely guarded!
MsLaura529 02:41 PM 05-14-2013
My parents always had a garden around theirs ... so maybe some mulch and a little garden fence?
Leigh 02:46 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
My parents always had a garden around theirs ... so maybe some mulch and a little garden fence?
Not a bad idea..mine is completely surrounded by landscaping rocks, but I'd be willing to put up a fence if I had no other options!
sharlan 02:47 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have one little boy (4 y.o.) who is obsessed with my central air unit outside, and even though it has a guard on top of it, I'd like something to put on or around it so that he can not stick his little fingers in there when I am not looking...does anyone have anything like this or know of anything? I just obsess over safety, and can't stand not having it completely guarded!
I was asked by my analyst last summer to cover the top of mine with wire mesh (using zip ties) to prevent the kids from dropping little rocks inside. Evidently they had had several injuries last summer.
Leigh 06:03 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I was asked by my analyst last summer to cover the top of mine with wire mesh (using zip ties) to prevent the kids from dropping little rocks inside. Evidently they had had several injuries last summer.
I never thought of zip ties! I had been searching online for something designed specifically for this, and came up empty! I may just take both of these ideas, put the mesh on and THEN build a fence around the thing!
sharlan 06:14 PM 05-14-2013
I don't know how to post pics, but I can send you a text of it.
spud912 06:56 PM 05-14-2013
I have a fence blocking off that portion of the yard.
AmyKidsCo 07:37 PM 05-14-2013
You probably wouldn't need a huge fence - just that green wire fencing arms-length away should do it.
SilverSabre25 07:59 PM 05-14-2013
I saw something recently where someone built a wall around theirs...

not sure of the original link though. Sorry!

Here are a few: http://www.ehow.com/info_11367880_gu...ditioners.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5105511_beau...nditioner.html
google search
daycarediva 03:53 AM 05-15-2013
I built a fence around mine, per licensing requirements.
Leigh 06:24 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Our state doesn't require it, doesn't even address it. I never considered it, myself, until this one child made it his mission to run to it every time he thinks I'm not looking! They should.
Play Care 07:06 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I'm in the same state and I've never seen this reg. None of my licensors have ever said anything about it. But mine is in an out of the way spot so I don't even know if they saw it.
butterfly 08:52 AM 05-15-2013
I got a vinyl fence from Lowes. I tried to post a link, but apparently wasn't searching the correct key words to find it online.

It is a 3 panel fence made specifically to go around the central air unit. It's about 4 feet tall (maybe 4 and 1/2 feet). It looks decorative and keeps the little ones off the a/c unit.

It's very easy to install and very easy to remove if you need to access the a/c unit. And yet sturdy enough that the kids can't remove it.
Sugar Magnolia 10:34 AM 05-15-2013
They sell plastic fencing at Lowes, made for this use. $30. Yes, the child's safety is important, but honestly, so is the safety of the air conditioner. I don't want to replace.a $4000 unit because kids like to toss mulch in there.
LoraJenkins 12:07 PM 05-15-2013
My Husband is a HV/AC technician. I will ask him suggestions when he gets home. One thing I do know is that you do not want to block air-flow to your unit. But as far as fencing around it, I do not see an issue. Just remember that your service technician will need access to the unit twice a year for routine maintenance so you may want to add a gate for that.
canadiancare 10:19 AM 05-20-2013
does anyone have something concrete about the mesh and zipties? I just did it to mine but the guy at home depot wasn't too certain there would be enough airflow and I can't find anything online recommending this.
rubyecro 02:19 PM 10-03-2015
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
does anyone have something concrete about the mesh and zipties? I just did it to mine but the guy at home depot wasn't too certain there would be enough airflow and I can't find anything online recommending this.
My husband is a HVAC tech and he says there needs to be 12 inches for ventilation. So I don't think mesh around it is a good idea, but I will ask him.
Thriftylady 04:22 PM 10-03-2015
In Kansas my ac was in my play area. It was next to the house (like most) and on one side that connected to the house it was six inches from a fence. We bought two T posts, put them in and wired some of that cheap barrier fencing the kind with the big squares about six inches out from the other two sides, up next to the house and the other fence. My surveyor LOVED it. She even took pics of my play area to show other providers who said there was not enough room. It was on the side of my house and about 6 foot from the house to the fence the whole way down the house there were gates going to front and to the back yard. I kept a lock on the one going to the back yard. But the AC was the easy part to set up. You really don't need much and it doesn't have to take space to block it.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:27 AM 10-04-2015
My husband works in HVAC and said you could put a fence around it, but just make it so there is at least a one or two foot clearance around it and that there is a way to access it if you have to have it services. Don't put anything on the top of it. It will make your compressor go out and that is not good! I don't know your age group, but some landscaping with rocks or whatever would be good and then a very stern rule that no one is allowed on the rock area. Very swift punishment or consequence for going on the rock area. (the rock area is hot lava)
Tags:air conditioner, safety
Reply Up