Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TB - Tuberculosis
MommyMuffin 06:07 AM 10-21-2010
I am wondering if any of you know licensing rules for someone who has been exposed to a person with active TB?
I will have my PPD read on sat and I feel confident it will be negative. Called licensor but he was going to call me back.
Anyone have any experience with this?
MarinaVanessa 06:55 AM 10-21-2010
All I know is that if licensing requires you to have a TB test and it comes out positive you cannot be licensed or registered and should probably not be around a lot of kids regularly.

But a man in my fiance's unit at work spent a week with his sick FIL because his wife wanted to help take care of him and it turned out that he had active TB. Well he FREAKED out when he found out what it was and he had already been back at the office for a week so he, my fiance, the other guy in the unit and my fiance's boss had to get tested. None of them ended getting a positive reading so I guess just because you've been exposed doesn't mean that it means you will get a positive reading.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 10-21-2010
The handbook given to us by the Hennepin County Health Department says that TB is a reportable disease and the incubation period is anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks! It also says you should call the local or state health department because each case is looked at individually. It also says that only active TB of the lungs or voice box (larynx) is contagious. TB in other parts of the body is usually not contagious. Young children who lack the capacity to cough forcefully typically are not as contagious as adults. I am not sure what all those things mean except the part about calling your local health deaprtment. I was just taking the info out of the health handbook we are given. Hopefully that helps a little.
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 10-21-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
TB is a reportable disease and the incubation period is anywhere from 2 to 12 weeks!
Yup, thank goodness that my fiance works for the county (they have their own medi staff in their building), he had to be tested a total of 3 times so far. The first time when they first found out about the TB, the second time was a later too make sure he didn't have it (passed the incubation period) and then the 3rd time was a few years ago when I started DC. His 2nd TB test had just passed the 2 year mark by a month (which is required by licensing here) so he had to do another TB test lol.
MommyMuffin 08:50 AM 10-21-2010
I think it is most likely that I will not be positive but I just worry that they will make me wait 2 months till I am tested again to be able to do daycare. And if that is the case...how will I pay my bills
Casandra S 12:25 PM 11-26-2010
I have someone living in my home that tested positive for TB but it is not active. I guess it would be considered the third stage, anyway i want to submit my application for a California Home daycare, Im trying to find out if I would be denied...
MarinaVanessa 06:57 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Casandra S:
I have someone living in my home that tested positive for TB but it is not active. I guess it would be considered the third stage, anyway i want to submit my application for a California Home daycare, Im trying to find out if I would be denied...
As long as it isn't you that has a positive reading then I believe that the adult that does get a positive reading can get an exclusion as long as that adult isn't home during daycare hours. I could be wrong however and I'm basing this on the fact that if an adult doesn't clear their criminal background check and it's a non-violent offense and has nothing to do with children licensing will give this person an exemption and allow them to live in your home as long as they aren't around the kids or in the home during DC hours. I would call your local licensing office to make sure.
Crystal 07:01 AM 11-29-2010
I beleive in Ca. they will have the person with a positive read have a chest xray to make sure that it is not active. If that is clear, then you will be fine.
Tags:contagious, tuberculosis
Reply Up