Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strep
MissAnn 04:22 PM 10-16-2013
Are you contagious with strep the day before you get symptoms? Also, do you require parents tell you if their child is diagnosed with strep? Here's the situation. A DCB mom called last night to say she didn't think her son would be here tomorrow ( this was last night). She said he threw up thar day. I told her he cannot come if he threw up that day because he needs to be symptom free for 24 hours. She then said they had just got back from the doctor and he he has strep! What???? And you were thinking about bringing him today???

I then began texting parents to let them know their child was exposed to strep.

A mom then told me her daughter had strep over the weekend. I said, this was information I needed to know. I don't know if she went to the doctor Saturday or Sunday. If she went Saturday......wasn't she contagious Friday???? If she went Sunday, she would have been contagious for 24 hours after starting antibiotics.

Granted if she was contagious Friday....that was unavoidable because she didn't seem sick.
Cradle2crayons 04:34 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Are you comtagious with strep the day before you get symptoms? Also, do you require parents tell you if their child is diagnosed with strep? Here's the situation. A DCB mom called last night to say she didn't think her son would be here tomorrow ( this was last night). She said he threw up thar day. I told her he cannot come if he threw up that day because he needs to be symptom free for 24 hours. She then said they had just got back from the doctor and he he has strep! What???? And you were thinking about bringing him today???

I then began texting parents to let them know their child was exposed to strep.

A mom then told me her daughter had strep over the weekend. I said, this was information I needed to know. I don't know if she went to the doctor Saturday or Sunday. If she went Saturday......wasn't she contagious Friday???? If she went Sunday, she would have been contagious for 24 hours after starting antibiotics.

Granted if she was contagious Friday....that was unavoidable because she didn't seem sick.
Strep is actually MORE contagious 1-2 days before symptoms start an they are any other time. That's one reason why it's so common, especially in school age or daycare children.

I do require parents notify me of anything contagious and after 24 hours of being on antibiotics, generally it's recommended they return and that's the way I do it as well.

Also, if they get a shot for anything, especially strep since a lot of dr do the one shot treatment for strep, I require parents to notify me of that so I can watch for a reaction.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 10-17-2013
I think most contagious illnesses are contagious BEFORE symptoms actually appear so most everyone was already exposed.

Exclusion is usually to prevent prolonged exposure and to lessen the likelihood of others getting it too.

I require parents to inform me if ANY member of the household has an illness that requires exclusion.

I would allow a child with strep to return to care AFTER 24 ours of being on an antibiotic and providing there is no fever or any other excludable symptoms
Tags:contagious, strep throat
Reply Up