Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Additional "Occasional" Kids
Unregistered 05:46 PM 09-21-2016
Can I have additional school age kids if it's a one time or occasional thing but would cause me to go over my numbers? (would be a 1:10 ratio max)
Reply
daycare 06:03 PM 09-21-2016
what state are you in? what does your licensing agency say about over ratios?
Reply
AmyKidsCo 08:46 PM 09-21-2016
Check your state's rules. In WI family providers can never have more than 8 children (not counting our own children 7 and older). The ratios allow for some school agers depending on how many children under and over two there are.
Reply
Unregistered 10:45 PM 09-21-2016
In Colorado
Licensing allows you to have 6 children under 6yrs old. Two can be under two years old. Then two additional school age. So 8 total.
This would be a ONE day weekend thing with possibly 2 over (so 10 total). They would be school age.
Reply
Unregistered 10:45 PM 09-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
what state are you in? what does your licensing agency say about over ratios?
I'm not sure how to find that out.
Reply
Rockgirl 02:21 AM 09-22-2016
Going over ratio is something I will never risk. If you think there might be leeway in your state, you can call your licensing rep and ask. I definitely wouldn't just do it without finding out.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can I have additional school age kids if it's a one time or occasional thing but would cause me to go over my numbers? (would be a 1:10 ratio max)
I have seen state's that allow for variances in ratios depending on the ages of kids but I've never seen a state allow someone to be OVER ratios. For example I am allowed 10 kids MAX or 12 kids MAX if the 2 additional children are SA (and I have no more than 3 under 2) but I still wouldn't be OVER RATIOS....just following a different rule based on the ages. In some cases I can have 14 kids but would need a second adult/assistant. Again still NOT going over ratios...just having different requirements depending on age.

You can find info about your state here: https://www.daycare.com/colorado/


Please do NOT go over ratios without first finding out if it's legal and please do not assume that even for one day every once in a while is okay (if it's against state rules) because even one day is a risk and one risk is all it takes. Then everyone suffers.
Reply
Leigh 10:31 AM 09-22-2016
My ratios allow for 12 kids. I can have 14 if the last 2 are before/after school only. It will vary from state to state.
Reply
LostMyMarbles 01:17 PM 09-22-2016
If you are seeking permission to break rules, you probably won't get that on here. If you choose to do so, watch you back every day. It is only a matter of time before you get caught.
Reply
Unregistered 01:38 PM 09-22-2016
Not planning on doing anything until I'm sure, don't worry.

Colorado says "Occasional care of children with or without compensation, which means the offering of
child care infrequently and irregularly that has no apparent pattern. "
You don't need a license for, but I'm not sure that means if you're licensed already and go over it if it would still count because it is one day.

I don't plan on going over legal ratios as far as kid:adult.
Reply
Unregistered 01:40 PM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
If you are seeking permission to break rules, you probably won't get that on here. If you choose to do so, watch you back every day. It is only a matter of time before you get caught.
If I were planning to "break rules" I wouldn't really be asking for permission.

Why is everyone assuming that I am trying to do something wrong, when what I'm actually trying to do is make sure I DON'T do something wrong. I'm asking for HELP with the rules
Reply
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not planning on doing anything until I'm sure, don't worry.

Colorado says "Occasional care of children with or without compensation, which means the offering of
child care infrequently and irregularly that has no apparent pattern. "

You don't need a license for, but I'm not sure that means if you're licensed already and go over it if it would still count because it is one day.

I don't plan on going over legal ratios as far as kid:adult.
I think the statement above (bolded) applies to anyone that doesn't have a license. Once you are licensed you must follow licensing rules. My state's regulations say something similar but again, its just clarification for those not licensed at all.

For what it's worth, I thought you were asking (in your first/original post) if it was okay to break the law if it was only once in a while. For me, it's the way you worded it.

I think you should probably just call or e-mail someone in the licensing department in your area and double check or present your situation to them and they should be able to tell you your options. For example in my state I can apply for a variance to go outside my licensing requirements (like take an extra toddler etc) but I have to apply for the variance and it comes with stipulations. I assume variances are there for those times that our situations just don't fit into a nice little box.
Reply
Rockgirl 01:53 PM 09-22-2016
I didn't assume anything....I suggested calling your rep and asking for clarification. That's the only help I could offer, without knowing Colorado regulations.
Reply
Unregistered 02:09 PM 09-22-2016
I'm sorry, I didn't actually mean everyone I know some are actually trying to give information.
I have e-mailed a rep already to get a definitive answer, just thought I would ask around here until I heard back.

I don't plan on breaking any laws, just trying to see if there is any variance or anything I can do... LEGALLY

Please don't assume because it says unregistered that people are unlicensed. If I were unlicensed would I bother asking about ratios?
I actually am registered just not able to sign in.

Again, if I was planning to break a law or the "rules" why would I ask for permission? Isn't breaking a rule mean you DON'T get permission?

I guess Ratio's wasn't the correct word, because I don't plan on going over ratios. If I were to have a larger amount, I can have another adult with me. Colorado a 1:10 ratio is legal, which would be the most I would have that one day.

Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly, I don't know, but I do wish that people could come with questions and not get accused of things.
Reply
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 09-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm sorry, I didn't actually mean everyone I know some are actually trying to give information.
I have e-mailed a rep already to get a definitive answer, just thought I would ask around here until I heard back.

I don't plan on breaking any laws, just trying to see if there is any variance or anything I can do... LEGALLY

Please don't assume because it says unregistered that people are unlicensed. If I were unlicensed would I bother asking about ratios?
I actually am registered just not able to sign in.

Again, if I was planning to break a law or the "rules" why would I ask for permission? Isn't breaking a rule mean you DON'T get permission?

I guess Ratio's wasn't the correct word, because I don't plan on going over ratios. If I were to have a larger amount, I can have another adult with me. Colorado a 1:10 ratio is legal, which would be the most I would have that one day.

Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly, I don't know, but I do wish that people could come with questions and not get accused of things.
It's not personal

As a registered member then, you are more than likely aware that most the drama and "issues" that happen here are started by unregistered posters so.... Members can't help that and honestly I didn't really see anyone in particular come at you rudely or in an accusatory manner.

Other than myself (who is always blunt/filterless ) the only poster that even mentioned doing something illegal didn't accuse you of anything either.... she said IF.... and then gave you advice about it so you might want to reassess your perception of how others are responding to you.

Your continued mention of not liking the accusations now has me wondering what the real issue is.
Reply
sammie 10:00 AM 09-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm sorry, I didn't actually mean everyone I know some are actually trying to give information.
I have e-mailed a rep already to get a definitive answer, just thought I would ask around here until I heard back.

I don't plan on breaking any laws, just trying to see if there is any variance or anything I can do... LEGALLY

Please don't assume because it says unregistered that people are unlicensed. If I were unlicensed would I bother asking about ratios?
I actually am registered just not able to sign in.

Again, if I was planning to break a law or the "rules" why would I ask for permission? Isn't breaking a rule mean you DON'T get permission?

I guess Ratio's wasn't the correct word, because I don't plan on going over ratios. If I were to have a larger amount, I can have another adult with me. Colorado a 1:10 ratio is legal, which would be the most I would have that one day.

Maybe I'm not explaining it correctly, I don't know, but I do wish that people could come with questions and not get accused of things.
What type of license do you have (6+2 License; 3 under 2 License; Toddler License or Experienced License)? The only license that I am aware of in Colorado where you are able to have 10 children is an Experienced License and at the ninth child you need to have an assistant.
Reply
Tags:occasional, ratio - over limit, variance
Reply Up