Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Week Notice Question
Persephone 06:27 AM 06-23-2010
So I'm thinking that my sibling group is going to end up leaving. Just have a feeling...I might be wrong but I'm not sure.

They called in sick for today. Said the 5 year old had a fever and sore throat after he left here. He acted TOTALLY normal and fine yesterday afternoon. And I don't make it a habit of touching the older children, so I wouldn't know if he felt warm. So I'm wondering if that was just a reason not to come. But they said they are taking him to the doctor today.

So if someone quits you in the middle of a week, do you count that as part of your 2 week notice?

They are on vacation next week and I was nice and said they didn't need to pay for that week (I told them that when they started) I figured it would be my break from them anyways. They are just here for the summer.

But if they do say they are leaving I want to be ready with them owing me a two week, either they are here for those weeks or they pay me.
judytrickett 06:34 AM 06-23-2010
That's why you don't tell them they have to give two weeks notice.

I tell them they have to give two weeks FEES upon notice. And that means that if you tell me TODAY, then you have to pay me two weeks FEES tomorrow at drop off or you will have NO care for those last two weeks.

This also works in your favour if you are planning to be off for a week, or as you stated , the parents are going on vacation.

The TIME doesn't matter. Only the FEES matter. "Time" notice doesn't pay your bills. "Fees" notice does.
nannyde 06:54 AM 06-23-2010
I require a calendar months notice and notice is to only be given on Friday. Notice can not include any time period that I'm on paid vacation.

I don't give any free time to them so they would pay when they are on vacation.
Persephone 07:12 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:

I tell them they have to give two weeks FEES upon notice. And that means that if you tell me TODAY, then you have to pay me two weeks FEES tomorrow at drop off or you will have NO care for those last two weeks.

This also works in your favour if you are planning to be off for a week, or as you stated , the parents are going on vacation.

The TIME doesn't matter. Only the FEES matter. "Time" notice doesn't pay your bills. "Fees" notice does.
That's a good idea.
momma2girls 07:47 AM 06-23-2010
THis is another thiing I had to change in my contract- If you give would like to leave my daycare for any reason- a 2 week paid notice must be given. Payment for this 2 week notice, full payment is due on the day you give the notice.
alyssyn 08:07 AM 06-23-2010
I also require two weeks FEES upon notice. This part of my contract has worked really well so far when I've needed it. I've only had to use it twice and both times I had no problem with collecting fees.
professionalmom 08:42 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:

Judy, you did it again! You keep explaining bits and pieces of your policies and contract and I think, "Oh, that's great a great idea, I'll use that. Thanks!" Then I modify my contract immediately (for new clients). Then you say something else and I do the whole thing over. I have modified my contract at least 10 times in the past month. Just show me your contract and make it easier on me! You and I are usually on the same page anyway! Heck, you could teach a whole college curriculum on being a daycare provider! You really know how NOT to get screwed. And that's what I am really working on right now.

However, I have found that there are 2 scenarios for termination: termination without notice (give me my 2 weeks pay - due immediately, per the contract) OR they tell me well in advance of their ending date (like the family moving out of state next month) and we just continue as normal because they have NEVER been a problem and often go above and beyond to show me respect. The deadbeats and idiots are the ones that will drop immediately and then try to not pay. No one has given me 2 weeks notice, continued, and then tried to stiff me. But that's because they prepay each week.

But I am stealing the FEES notice, Judy! Hope you don't mind.
Tags:notice
Reply Up