Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG hit with swing
NorthernMNgal 03:28 PM 03-31-2015
It was a rough day. We were playing outside and the kids were all done swinging and standing around it when my 4 year old son swung the empty swing. It hit DCG who is 15 months right in the lip! She had a split lip and I just feel so awful. This is the daughter of a friend of mine and she's been hurt here before when she fell and cut open her forehead. I just want to wrap her in bubble wrap!
daycare 03:33 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by NorthernMNgal:
It was a rough day. We were playing outside and the kids were all done swinging and standing around it when my 4 year old son swung the empty swing. It hit DCG who is 15 months right in the lip! She had a split lip and I just feel so awful. This is the daughter of a friend of mine and she's been hurt here before when she fell and cut open her forehead. I just want to wrap her in bubble wrap!
awe...I am so sorry to hear that....that is why they are called accidents. I hope everything is ok. Shake it off and just make sure you let the parents know what you are doing to prevent that from happening again.

I don't have swings for that very reason...
Thriftylady 03:37 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
awe...I am so sorry to hear that....that is why they are called accidents. I hope everything is ok. Shake it off and just make sure you let the parents know what you are doing to prevent that from happening again.

I don't have swings for that very reason...
That is why I have never and will never have swings in daycare. That happens so quickly and easily. We do go to the park with swings, and I still fear it there. Don't feel so bad though, you really couldn't have done anything. All you can really do is try to educate the kids, but kids will be kids when it comes to doing things without thinking.
daycare 03:40 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
That is why I have never and will never have swings in daycare. That happens so quickly and easily. We do go to the park with swings, and I still fear it there. Don't feel so bad though, you really couldn't have done anything. All you can really do is try to educate the kids, but kids will be kids when it comes to doing things without thinking.
yeah we go to the park too and the way they have the swings set up, I have yet to see a kid get hit by one, but i also don't take any chances. I love the swings at the park, but the kids know the rules about them and I always stand by them to prevent any child at the park getting hit.
NorthernMNgal 03:42 PM 03-31-2015
I have taken the swings off of the set and will only be putting them up for a set amount of time per day when I will make sure the other kids are away from the swing set. I'm kind of regretting get the damn swing set now. I watched it happened. It was like slow motion. Tried yelling at my son to stop but it was too late.
daycare 03:55 PM 03-31-2015
I have taken the swings off of the set and will only be putting them up for a set amount of time per day when I will make sure the other kids are away from the swing set. I'm kind of regretting get the damn swing set now. I watched it happened. It was like slow motion. Tried yelling at my son to stop but it was too late.
dont beat yourself up.. kids do things like this all the time without thinking because they really don't see the consequence of doing it. I would take them off or put them up high when not in use so this does not happen again.

how is DCG doing?
Thriftylady 03:56 PM 03-31-2015
Well your son, your house I am guessing he got used to playing alone and doing that was no big deal. Cut yourself some slack, and your son also. Things happen.
NorthernMNgal 07:04 PM 03-31-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
dont beat yourself up.. kids do things like this all the time without thinking because they really don't see the consequence of doing it. I would take them off or put them up high when not in use so this does not happen again.

how is DCG doing?
Mom says she's doing ok. Swelling went down and she's treating it with coconut oil and lavender oil. DCG's Mom is a friend of mine and is usually pretty easy going so that helps. We were joking that she should wear a catcher's mask since it's always her sweet little face that gets injured.
Josiegirl 02:36 AM 04-01-2015
Unless all you give the kids are foam blocks, accidents will happen and sometimes there is no preventing them. And even then, they can trip on their own 2 feet. I'm glad dcm was understanding, that certainly helps. It's especially hard in multi-age groups because you want(have) to offer different things for different groups.

Give yourself a hug and have a better day today!!
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 04-01-2015
I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.
Crystal 07:04 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I find it sad that so many of you removed the swings because of kids getting hurt.

I'm sorry but getting hurt is part of growing up. Swings are a vital part of a playground and not something that should be limited because on child who really shouldn't have been allowed to be standing near the swings in the first place got hurt.

I teach my littles from the very beginning to not go near the swings while others (older kids) are using them. It doesn't take long and is really easy to do.

I have 10-12 kids daily from infancy to age 5 (with a majority of my kids being 2-4) and I don't have many instances of kids getting hit by swings. We go over play ground rules every day before we go outside and use plenty of reminders when we are outside. If a smaller child walks near the swing set, they are immediately redirected and told no. No differently than if they were walking toward the road or somewhere else just as dangerous.

I just think that pretty soon, there will be no playground equipment and nothing to do outside so everyone will either just stand around outside or stop going out all together.

My kids LOVE the swings!!!
Martha Stewart 07:12 AM 04-01-2015
Kids get busted lips all the time. I have a little fella who likes to run with little people in his mouth, just the other day he wiped out hard and split his lip pretty bad. His older brother is the only child in 10 years that I've had to call a parent to come retrieve because he needed stitches in his face....he was running and ran into an empty swing.

Parents understand (or at least they should) when children get hurt.

I am also a little sad for all of you who have removed or won't use the swings. Bigger kids absolutely love using them and they are great for teaching some gross motor coordination!
daycare 07:16 AM 04-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Kids will get hurt but I will do everything I can to keep them safe when they are with me. I have a Backyard probably the size of your living room. Heck probably smaller.
I offer so many other thing its not noticed. It's not sad it's just not necessary.
I can't possibly lay offer them every experience

However. Even if I had a huge backyard I wouodnt get swings. That's just me.
Reply Up