Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Custody/mental issues updated.
Unregistered 05:35 PM 11-06-2015
Here's the abbreviated version: dad has legal custody. I've been watching the kids for a year after mom was committed and since given temporary supervised visits. This week she's lost it and is pretty upset about not being able to see her kids. She is bipolar. I have only met her a handful of times.
Updating from my last post...*********She came over unannounced with a sketchy looking guy asking to see her daughter to which I replied that legally I cannot let her see her. She was calm but there is so much more to this story. She is manic and was getting better but now she is really bad again. Her husband has full custody so she legally does not have a right to see them especially stepping foot on my property under the guise that someone was going to drop something off from her for her. The father knows the police well and so they are involved and stopped by my house to make sure I am ok. They've filled an order of protection for me and so I must call the police anytime she steps foot on my property. I am nervous for my safety as well as the kids in the daycare even though everyone has stated she is not dangerous only to herself. I am the only stability the kids have right now and I would feel terrible terminating care but where do I draw the line? If she was committed, I'd feel better. What would you do?***************
mommiebookworm 06:30 PM 11-06-2015
Do you provide care for other kids? If you do, you really need to take in to consideration their safety, and what they might be exposed to. As a parent, I would not be happy if my child witnessed a fight or something. If the police are involved, I think you're obligated to tell your other parents.
MarinaVanessa 06:50 PM 11-06-2015
If I were in your shoes I would just be vigilant and call the police if she called or came by again. I guess just because I'd be thinking about the kids and how all of these sudden changes could affect them ... seeing mom to suddenly not seeing mom then a new daycare. If she came by again or acted aggressively or threatening or just showed up/called etc. I could call the police now for breaking the order of protection and she would be arrested and probably admitted which is what sounds like would be best.
midaycare 08:27 PM 11-06-2015
When off of meds, or not on the right dosage/correct meds, bipolar is ugly to deal with.

I don't know that it's fair to want mom committed.

You don't have to open the door or let her in. Just call the police. Don't engage on any level.
childcaremom 02:11 AM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:

You don't have to open the door or let her in. Just call the police. Don't engage on any level.

I also agree with other pp, you do have to take into consideration the other children in your care. Do you operate out of your house and by yourself?

I guess if I were in your shoes, I would continue on but if she showed again I would be tempted to term for everyone's safety and well being.

If dad has full custody, it would almost seem in their interest to have them in a daycare where she is not aware of the location/contact/etc. I don't know if legally he has to tell her where the daycare is located?

I don't know. Hard situation to be in for everyone.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 11-07-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here's the abbreviated version: dad has legal custody. I've been watching the kids for a year after mom was committed and since given temporary supervised visits. This week she's lost it and is pretty upset about not being able to see her kids. She is bipolar. I have only met her a handful of times.
Updating from my last post...*********She came over unannounced with a sketchy looking guy asking to see her daughter to which I replied that legally I cannot let her see her. She was calm but there is so much more to this story. She is manic and was getting better but now she is really bad again. Her husband has full custody so she legally does not have a right to see them especially stepping foot on my property under the guise that someone was going to drop something off from her for her. The father knows the police well and so they are involved and stopped by my house to make sure I am ok. They've filled an order of protection for me and so I must call the police anytime she steps foot on my property. I am nervous for my safety as well as the kids in the daycare even though everyone has stated she is not dangerous only to herself. I am the only stability the kids have right now and I would feel terrible terminating care but where do I draw the line? If she was committed, I'd feel better. What would you do?***************
I've been in your shoes and in this exact same position.

What I went through deeply changed me, my family and the way I do business.

Please PM me if you'd like to talk, I will gladly share my experience and advice with you.

Reply Up