Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time Out Screaming
Country Kids 07:06 AM 08-31-2012
I have one that I have had for a year and 1/2 or so. The problem now is when the child has to go to time out they scream and I mean scream at the top of their lungs.

I have to close the windows because of what neighbors might think and when we go outside I'm worried once again they are going to think something is wrong.

The scream is like the child is really hurt and needs help! My family has come running because they think something is wrong. This child has also woken family members up that were sleeping in another part of the house with this scream.

Child does it at home also and is told no screaming and that is what I'm doing. Its like over the top loud. I had someone call the other day and ask what was wrong because the child was doing this.

What would you guys do?
daycare 08:43 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I have one that I have had for a year and 1/2 or so. The problem now is when the child has to go to time out they scream and I mean scream at the top of their lungs.

I have to close the windows because of what neighbors might think and when we go outside I'm worried once again they are going to think something is wrong.

The scream is like the child is really hurt and needs help! My family has come running because they think something is wrong. This child has also woken family members up that were sleeping in another part of the house with this scream.

Child does it at home also and is told no screaming and that is what I'm doing. Its like over the top loud. I had someone call the other day and ask what was wrong because the child was doing this.

What would you guys do?
is there a different part of the house that they can go to? I have on that is like this too. The cry send chills up my spine and everyone else in the house.

We make that child sit at the end of the house where I can still see him because its so high pitch and loud.

Also, I don't allow for children to come out of time out until they are calm and not crying.

Have you tried telling the child:

I understand that you are upset because you made a bad decision. It's ok to be upset and cry, but when you scream that hurts my ears. Please don't scream.
Country Kids 09:01 AM 08-31-2012
They know that it hurts our ears and I think thats why they do it. They are mad so why shouldn't we suffer also.

Once they are done with the screaming they don't really cry or anything. They might cry when they are screaming but the second the screaming is done so are the waterworks.

I have thought about making the timeout a little longer because of the screaming.
daycare 09:14 AM 08-31-2012
They know that it hurts our ears and I think thats why they do it. They are mad so why shouldn't we suffer also.

Once they are done with the screaming they don't really cry or anything. They might cry when they are screaming but the second the screaming is done so are the waterworks.

I have thought about making the timeout a little longer because of the screaming.
ugh thats frustrating.....

I would just have the child in their spot, let them work out their emotions and when they are done let them out....leaving them there longer wont help anything..,

lol buy some earplugs
Country Kids 09:56 AM 08-31-2012
Actually I'm getting worried about my neighbors complaining especially when we are outside and they do this. I have actually heard one of my neighbors slam their windows shut when we are outside-
newtodaycare22 09:57 AM 08-31-2012
I just wrote a similar post. How old is the kid? I know the feeling and I feel your pain!
daycare 10:06 AM 08-31-2012
Actually I'm getting worried about my neighbors complaining especially when we are outside and they do this. I have actually heard one of my neighbors slam their windows shut when we are outside-
uh-oh...is it possible to put them back inside when they do it? I have the ability to do this. I have a huge sliding glass window door that I can see in and out of. Because the DCroom is closed off and the only way out is the sliding glass door that I am standing on the other side of, the child has no where to go and nothing to get into. So I can see them just fine.

National good neighbor day is Sept 23rd maybe you can make your neighbor some cookies and have the kids deliver them
My3cents 10:46 AM 08-31-2012
I use the word STOP in my not normal voice. Then in a voice that is low and harder to hear (to get the attention) I tell the child that they are not going to get up until they stop crying. The minute by age goes out the boards if they pull this. Then we talk about what they did and why they shouldn't do it and move on.

Sometimes I will have to say STOP and then follow with I said STOP, STOP NOW, and then a ?. Do you want to sit in time out all day long? I don't want you to have to sit here all day. I would rather play with my friends. Let me know when you decide to stop.

When I have to get to this point, I stop and access the situation, ask myself questions are the kids tired, hungry, what was the cause to get us here.

Sometimes I will distract the crier or screamer by talking to someone else like I don't hear it or get the kids interested in something else.

If it has been a day from you know where.......... I talk to the parents. Ask them to talk to the child. Team work. Whatever I choose to do, I am consistent and I don't give in. Kids can be stubborn but gosh I have been around longer and I got this one up on them. I can be mighty stubborn.

Hope this helps-

I don't worry about what the neighbors think because they know I am good with the kids and I am right there in plain site of all of them. Then again I don't have neighbors sitting right up on top of me either.
jojosmommy 11:29 AM 08-31-2012
I had one of these kids. I would remind them that they don't get out of time out when they scream. They get out when the time is up AND they are quiet. It takes a lot of reminders but once they learn that screaming is not the ticket out of time out they stop- or do it less often.
Reply Up