Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Swimmers
BrynleeJean 06:21 AM 06-08-2016
I sent out a note weeks ago informing parents of our upcoming splash days (sprinkler play) and the items they would need to bring every week in order to participate. I put on the paper "swimmers" or swim diapers because in my experience the children tend to slow down in the hour that we splash because of the obvious huge diaper full of hose water hanging off their bottoms, and they get uncomfortable and not to mention that I've gotten the occasional BM in there with it with makes for a watery mess when we come in to get our tiny bathing suits off and change.

One of my parents has ignored my 3 notes home about the swimmers and I'm wondering if other providers just let children splash in their regular diapers and I'm asking too much?
LindseyA 08:29 AM 06-08-2016
I don't think you are asking for too much at all! Your rules are your rules. If they have ignored 3 reminders, than I think it's time to charge them a fee and buy them yourself. Or call for pick up on sprinkler day, since that child is unprepared. They will hopefully get it with the first repercussion of a fee or pick up.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I sent out a note weeks ago informing parents of our upcoming splash days (sprinkler play) and the items they would need to bring every week in order to participate. I put on the paper "swimmers" or swim diapers because in my experience the children tend to slow down in the hour that we splash because of the obvious huge diaper full of hose water hanging off their bottoms, and they get uncomfortable and not to mention that I've gotten the occasional BM in there with it with makes for a watery mess when we come in to get our tiny bathing suits off and change.

One of my parents has ignored my 3 notes home about the swimmers and I'm wondering if other providers just let children splash in their regular diapers and I'm asking too much?
The child that didnt have the necessary and requested items would not be able to participate.

I'd let the parent know upon pick up that everyone had a great time splashing in the water but since they (the parent) failed to bring the requested items, their child did not partake in the fun.

When they realize their child was not allowed to play, they usually feel badly and bring the stuff you asked them to.

I have far more stricter consequences but you can start there and still get your message across.
Unregistered 10:39 AM 06-08-2016
Not to mention that the swim dipes are supposed to keep things more sanitary. We are required to use them if kids are wading or playing in swimsuits. (I am not convinced that they actually are better, but that's beside the point here. They definitely don't soak up the water like the regular disposables.)

You could also buy a pack and then add on a charge if you need to supply one.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:59 AM 06-08-2016
I would also make sure parent knew what "swimmers" were. If they have supplied the other items, they may not know. I guess it would depend on the wording of the note.
Play Care 11:03 AM 06-08-2016
Your rules are your rules, and I agree with the others.
But, I HATE swimmers. They are not diapers in that they only keeps "solids" in them - they do not absorb water (which should have been obvious ) If the child urinates a lot or has a loose BM, it will NOT be contained.

It's why a lot of the cruise ships don't allow un-potty trained kids in the pools.
Luvnmykidz 12:28 PM 06-08-2016
You are definitely not asking for too much. I charge a summer fee for parents who haven't brought in the requested summer supplies by the deadline, and then I purchase the items myself. If they haven't paid the fee or brought the supplies, then care will be refused until they bring the supplies or pay the fee.
Controlled Chaos 12:37 PM 06-08-2016
I do sprinkler play several times a week, I have parents leave swim suits here all summer and leave kids in regular diapers since they typically don't get that wet. I change them back in to regular clothes and a fresh diaper before we come back in. BUT that's me. YOU get to do what you want

I woud give a final verbal or text warning "if I don't have a swim diaper for Jimmy he's not going to get to participate." Then, exclude if you need to.
childcaremom 12:41 PM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
You are definitely not asking for too much. I charge a summer fee for parents who haven't brought in the requested summer supplies by the deadline, and then I purchase the items myself. If they haven't paid the fee or brought the supplies, then care will be refused until they bring the supplies or pay the fee.

I love this idea. May need to incorporate it
Ariana 12:42 PM 06-08-2016
I would turn them away at the door. Did you bring swim diapers today? Ok well you can either go home and get them or you can keep johnny home with you today. I have sent 3 reminders and it is a requirement for swim day.
AmyKidsCo 08:36 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
A summer fee is a great idea. My policies state that I provide necessary items (diapers, wipes, etc) for an extra fee ($5/diaper) if parent-provided ones aren't here when needed. You could provide the swim diaper and charge for each one.
NillaWafers 09:01 AM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I would also make sure parent knew what "swimmers" were. If they have supplied the other items, they may not know. I guess it would depend on the wording of the note.
I had no idea what swimmers were until this post so if you used that term, maybe they're confused?
Reply Up