Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Update On Challenging DCM
littlemonkeys 05:50 PM 01-28-2011
Since I have been dealing with this DCM these past couple of weeks I've been having a hard time on what to do and how to handle our differences. I really like the DCB (9mo). She is so beautiful and very sweet. Her smile just makes my day sometimes! Despite DCM's differences, I decided to go ahead and keep her. However, I did update and re-write parts of my contract and also added an "extended leave policy". Well, today at pickup DCM hands me her two week notice and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I mean, I'm ok with it and I really do think "good riddance", she just helped make my decision for me, right? But I still feel sad.

When she handed me the notice, I actually reached in her bag before giving it to DCM and pulled out my 2011 contract and notice of my rate increase. She asked, "was that my 2 week notice" I was like, "No, just a 2011 contract with policy updates that we had already discussed". I told her that Taylor will be missed, etc. I asked her if she wouldn't mind sharing with me her reasons for termination and she just said that she didn't think that the two of us meshed very well and we had a lot of differences. Well, that's because she was walking all over me and I finally put my foot down the beginning of this year and then her daughter got sick and I wouldn't give them a break with a partial payment.

Is there anything that you would do from this point other than giving DCB the best possible care until DCB's last day? A friend of mine (not a dc provider) told me to write her a letter?? Not sure what I'd say to her other than I wish her the best of luck and that her DD will be missed here. What do you think? Just leave it alone and move on right?
e.j. 05:58 PM 01-28-2011
Personally, I would just provide excellent care for the next 2 weeks and then move on. I wouldn't write a letter.
SilverSabre25 06:07 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Personally, I would just provide excellent care for the next 2 weeks and then move on. I wouldn't write a letter.
Yep, that!

(plus additional characters to reach the requisite ten)
DCMomOf3 06:16 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep, that!

(plus additional characters to reach the requisite ten)
Haha Silver, or just a smiley that uses up a lot.
Abigail 06:21 PM 01-28-2011
So funny "Was that my notice?!" so she was expecting it or something. It sure made you look good though for not terminating because she decided too, kind of like a break up.

I would just move on. If you do something "special" for those who leave you should still do that. If you had a photobook or anything that belongs to the family to give it to them I guess. I have not figured out what I would do for those who leave, it's not like the child is old enough to have a "good-bye, we will miss you party."
littlemonkeys 06:33 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I was planning to just move on. I just don't really see a point to write a letter.

Originally Posted by Abigail:
So funny "Was that my notice?!" so she was expecting it or something. It sure made you look good though for not terminating because she decided too, kind of like a break up.

I would just move on. If you do something "special" for those who leave you should still do that. If you had a photobook or anything that belongs to the family to give it to them I guess. I have not figured out what I would do for those who leave, it's not like the child is old enough to have a "good-bye, we will miss you party."
It was totally like a break up! I actually have a a lot of cute pictures that I was going to go ahead and put together for her.
nannyde 02:18 AM 01-29-2011
Parent translator: I am hoping it is notice so i can have a reason to pull the kid out right away. I've got a better deal to go to so the sooner the better.

She thought if YOU termed then she would be able to get out of the two weeks.
momatheart 06:58 AM 01-29-2011
Just move on and learn from this as I like to say, NEXT.
littlemonkeys 07:05 AM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Parent translator: I am hoping it is notice so i can have a reason to pull the kid out right away. I've got a better deal to go to so the sooner the better.

She thought if YOU termed then she would be able to get out of the two weeks.
Oh totally, I'm sure she was thinking this.

When people term with you for whatever reason when do you require them to pay for their last two weeks or so? I have my dcp's pay on Friday for the next week. This dcm is paid thru Monday (she pays a month in advance) and she said she'd bring me a check for the balance on Monday. I didn't want to argue, but I have to wonder. I've only had one other parent term with me and that's because the mom got laid off and thought shed try staying home. They paid me the last two weeks the day they gave notice. Just wondering if any of you have any policies towards that or not?
nannyde 07:28 AM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:
Oh totally, I'm sure she was thinking this.

When people term with you for whatever reason when do you require them to pay for their last two weeks or so? I have my dcp's pay on Friday for the next week. This dcm is paid thru Monday (she pays a month in advance) and she said she'd bring me a check for the balance on Monday. I didn't want to argue, but I have to wonder. I've only had one other parent term with me and that's because the mom got laid off and thought shed try staying home. They paid me the last two weeks the day they gave notice. Just wondering if any of you have any policies towards that or not?
I require a one calander month notice for termination and we only accept notice on Friday. They pay during the one month time just as they always do........... on Friday for the upcoming week. They also are required to pay any unused paid time off I have accumulated. I accumulate PTO at 1.5 days per month.

If I terminate I offer a free month of day care begining the day of termination. The day I terminate is the last day I work for them. We no longer have a financial agreement.
littlemonkeys 07:57 AM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I require a one calander month notice for termination and we only accept notice on Friday. They pay during the one month time just as they always do........... on Friday for the upcoming week. They also are required to pay any unused paid time off I have accumulated. I accumulate PTO at 1.5 days per month.

If I terminate I offer a free month of day care begining the day of termination. The day I terminate is the last day I work for them. We no longer have a financial agreement.
Interesting! I never thought about making them pay the accumulated PTO thus far. Do you mind me asking how that's worded in your contract?
Tags:challenging child, partial payment, termination
Reply Up