Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here's A Strange One For You.....Long....Sorry
marniewon 03:30 PM 02-15-2011
Some of you may remember me asking for advice on writing an "extending the trial period" letter, and then, ultimately, a term letter. I sent the term letter home last Thursday. She had already paid me for the following week, which I had given them as their last week. I stated in the letter that any days they don't use of their last week would be reimbursed.

Monday morning I got a text (granted it was sent Sunday sometime, but I didn't get it until Monday) saying he won't be coming this week and she wanted to stop by to get his stuff and the check. So yesterday I sent a text back telling her I had his stuff together but had to go to the atm to get the money. (I had already deposited the check since I hadn't heard from her). She wanted to come after work yesterday. I told her I was leaving right after I was done with dc, and if she wanted to she could come over between 6 and 6:30 since I should be back by then, or she could come sometime today. She replies that she'll come today before 5.

It's 7:00 now and I haven't heard a thing from her. No show, no call/text/email. I'm a little confused. It's not like she's avoiding me because she owes me money - I have money sitting here for her!! So now my paranoid mind thinks she's scheming something. I can't really tell by her messages if she's angry or okay with things. And the longer it takes for her to get here, the more paranoid I get. Even though I know I've done everything right and within my regs, I'm still nervous. I've heard way too many horror stories to be calm.

My 14yo ds said we should we should charge his stuff "rent" and keep taking money out of the envelope every day she doesn't show...lol! I just want to be done with this. There is no reason this needed to be drug out like this. And I'm a little ticked that she had so little respect as to tell me she'll be here and then not show or call!!

What would you do in this instance?
Little People 03:38 PM 02-15-2011
I would text her and say, *** I was waiting on you to come by and pick up *** things and your money, did you forget?
marniewon 03:40 PM 02-15-2011
I was thinking maybe I should text her, just in case something was wrong. But I wasn't sure if I should or not.
DCMomOf3 03:43 PM 02-15-2011
I would text her saying you have her money, and since she didn't stop by as scheduled ask if she would like you to mail her money with return receipt/delivery confirmation. You would take the fee for postage out of her money to save her the inconvenience of coming, or she can re-schedule to pick up tomorrow.
marniewon 03:55 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I would text her saying you have her money, and since she didn't stop by as scheduled ask if she would like you to mail her money with return receipt/delivery confirmation. You would take the fee for postage out of her money to save her the inconvenience of coming, or she can re-schedule to pick up tomorrow.
I also have his almost full: pack of diapers, wipes and formula that she wanted back too. Mailing the money would be fine, but I don't know when I would be able to get to the post office while it was still open to mail a package.

As it stands right now, I will probably text her to see if she wants to reschedule. But even if she does, I will not be waiting around for her. If I need to go somewhere, I'm going. I won't leave unless someone else is here to give her the stuff, but she will have to wait while one of my family members calls me to find out where her stuff is...!
momatheart 03:56 PM 02-15-2011
I would send her a text or just call her and ask if everything is ok? You are wondering if she was stopping by. And hope to see you soon.
Former Teacher 04:30 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Some of you may remember me asking for advice on writing an "extending the trial period" letter, and then, ultimately, a term letter. I sent the term letter home last Thursday. She had already paid me for the following week, which I had given them as their last week. I stated in the letter that any days they don't use of their last week would be reimbursed.

Monday morning I got a text (granted it was sent Sunday sometime, but I didn't get it until Monday) saying he won't be coming this week and she wanted to stop by to get his stuff and the check. So yesterday I sent a text back telling her I had his stuff together but had to go to the atm to get the money. (I had already deposited the check since I hadn't heard from her). She wanted to come after work yesterday. I told her I was leaving right after I was done with dc, and if she wanted to she could come over between 6 and 6:30 since I should be back by then, or she could come sometime today. She replies that she'll come today before 5.

It's 7:00 now and I haven't heard a thing from her. No show, no call/text/email. I'm a little confused. It's not like she's avoiding me because she owes me money - I have money sitting here for her!! So now my paranoid mind thinks she's scheming something. I can't really tell by her messages if she's angry or okay with things. And the longer it takes for her to get here, the more paranoid I get. Even though I know I've done everything right and within my regs, I'm still nervous. I've heard way too many horror stories to be calm.

My 14yo ds said we should we should charge his stuff "rent" and keep taking money out of the envelope every day she doesn't show...lol! I just want to be done with this. There is no reason this needed to be drug out like this. And I'm a little ticked that she had so little respect as to tell me she'll be here and then not show or call!!

What would you do in this instance?
To be honest..I agree with your son. I have seen daycares where after 10 days anything and everything that is left at the center becomes property of the center.

I wouldn't text her or anything. Her loss.
Pammie 03:14 AM 02-16-2011
I wouldn't text her either.

Just wrap/box up her things - including her money - and stash it in a closet somewhere until she shows up to pick it up.
Danielle 03:45 AM 02-16-2011
I must use freecycle too much. I'd mail her the check and put her stuff on the porch and text her telling her that I was doing that. But that probably isn't the professional thing to do. My excuse, I'm not fully awake yet.
My Daycare 04:39 AM 02-16-2011
I would be worried that she may have canceled the check. Make sure you have enough money in your account for that to happen. It may be better if she doesn't come for a few days anyway and give the check some time to completely clear. I have heard that it takes time before you actually realize that a check has bounced.
marniewon 04:45 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I would be worried that she may have canceled the check. Make sure you have enough money in your account for that to happen. It may be better if she doesn't come for a few days anyway and give the check some time to completely clear. I have heard that it takes time before you actually realize that a check has bounced.
I had originally told her to cancel the check but she said it had already cleared her bank so she couldn't. Good point point about it taking a while to realize the check bounced or was reversed.

Does anyone know if you can "stop check" after it's cleared your bank?
dEHmom 06:38 AM 02-16-2011
NO! once it's cleared the issuers (whoever wrote the check) bank, then you're good. But just because it cleared your bank, doesn't mean it's safe.

I would be deducting amount owed to her until she picks up. For everyday, and since she inconvenienced you, I'd charge her an inconvenience fee as well. You went out of your way to take out the money, you stayed home for her and she didn't show, you packed up the stuff and she didn't show.
marniewon 07:23 AM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

I would be deducting amount owed to her until she picks up. For everyday, and since she inconvenienced you, I'd charge her an inconvenience fee as well. You went out of your way to take out the money, you stayed home for her and she didn't show, you packed up the stuff and she didn't show.
I am very tempted to do this, but it's not in my contract that I do that, so if she wanted to pursue it, I think I could lose doing that.
safechner 07:28 AM 02-16-2011
If I were you, I wouldn't text her if she have not show up. It is not your problem, it is her loss. You already made an arrangement with her once, she didnt show up. Don't waste your time. It happened to me once. I had reminded one of my dcm to pick her son's stuff and she never showed up in a couple of weeks and I gave up. I sold all of his stuff.
marniewon 08:16 AM 02-16-2011
Yes, I've decided not to text her. Her loss. I'm also not waiting around when I think she might come (like at her d/o and p/u times).

I'm just confused as to why she isn't coming when I have money here for her! I could see blowing it off if it was just diapers or formula, but money?? Granted, it's not a lot, but it's still cash.
marniewon 09:47 AM 02-18-2011
So....Tuesday she was supposed to come at 5. No show, no text. Wednesday afternoon she texts asking if she could come then. I replied "sure". No show. Yesterday about 5 pm she texts to ask if she could come that night. Asked her what time because it was dinner time and after dinner I was headed out. So she responds with "I'll just come tomorrow - what's better for you, noon or after work?". Thinking I would just be stood up again, I told her noon since I knew I would be home at that time.

She FINALLY came to pick her kid's stuff up at 12:20. I'm definitely adding something to my contract stating that if they don't take their stuff on child's last day (or pick it up when they decide they are done) then it is the property of the daycare. This was ridiculous all this waiting for her and the texting back and forth!

I'm so glad I'm done, and after this, I have NO regrets for terming them!
dEHmom 09:57 AM 02-18-2011
Did you give her the full refund?

I think she was doing this waiting for you to respond with a NO or something. Maybe she was planning to take you to courT?
marniewon 10:41 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Did you give her the full refund?

I think she was doing this waiting for you to respond with a NO or something. Maybe she was planning to take you to courT?
I gave her the whole refund. It wasn't worth getting into it with her over a few bucks. I never thought of her taking me to court. Glad I did give the whole thing back.

I'm not sure what her motive was, but she was rude and inconsiderate and I'm glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. The thing was, when I was caring for the baby, they were very nice, abiding by my rules and all. I guess I got my answer as to how she feels about me terming her.
Tags:termination, trial period
Reply Up