Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCP Wants Me To Redo Activities, Just For DCG
ammama 02:21 PM 03-21-2011
So this afternoon as we were getting ready to get out the parachute, dcg's dad comes to pick her up. He often gets here earlier (up to 2 hours earlier) than my other dck's parents. We had planned to get out the coloured pom pom's and make 'Rainbow Rain' in the living room with the parachute DCG was obviously upset that she was now going to miss this, so DCD says, "Don't worry Honey, i'm sure _____ (me) will do again tomorrow, just for you".

Ummmm, no. I have other things planned tomorrow, and I don't really want to pull out the parachute again, just to make dcg happy. She has missed many (or left right befrore/during) activities because she gets picked up early, but I can't redo all these things that she misses! He has said this to her a few times now, and I always say the same thing - "I don't think so DCD, we have other things planned tomorrow" and he sort of glares a little bit and tells dcg they will do something fun, just for her at home.
Lucy 02:30 PM 03-21-2011
Let him say it and don't correct him. It will satisfy the girl and the dad. When tomorrow comes, IF she remembers, just say "Not today. Today we're going to do XYZ!! Doesn't that sound fun?!?!" But depending on her age, she most likely WON'T remember tomorrow.
youretooloud 02:34 PM 03-21-2011
It's probably just an excuse to get her to leave peacefully. It's a copout though.

He's tired... he just wants to go home, and doesn't want to deal with her crying. I have parents who let the kids bring things from the car, and whisper to me "take it from her after I leave".

LOL
ninosqueridos 03:06 PM 03-21-2011
Yeah, I ignore those comments, too, even though they're few and far between. I know that dcps just want to leave peacefully and quickly....
TBird 06:53 PM 03-21-2011
Smile & nod....then go about your business tomorrow, LOL!!!
nannyde 03:08 AM 03-22-2011
Let me add a very valuable phrase to your vocab for these special times:

"We'll see"
snbauser 03:23 AM 03-22-2011
I wouldn't even acknowledge it unless she mentions it the next day. Scattered afternoon pick up times is why I don't plan any activities for the afternoon. All of our planned activities are done in the morning. Afternoon is nap, snack, and free play. I have some kids that leave as early as 3pm and others that are here until 5:30pm.
SilverSabre25 03:52 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Let me add a very valuable phrase to your vocab for these special times:

"We'll see"
yep, that's the one I use all the time.
ninosqueridos 06:22 AM 03-22-2011
I love that "we'll see"
Meyou 06:29 AM 03-22-2011
My kids tell me "We'll see" means no but that I don't want to listen to them whine about it. Hahaha
Tags:activities, parents - changing things, parents expectations
Reply Up