Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast Ideas
wdmmom 03:00 PM 09-06-2011
I'm looking for some simple, easy to make breakfast recipes.

Seems like every 2 weeks we are rotating the breakfast menu because I'm running out of ideas.

Right now we serve:

Cereal (once or twice a week)
Waffles
Toast (Jelly, butter or peanut butter)
Oatmeal
Scrambled eggs
Muffins
Pancakes
Egg sandwich
French toast
Breakfast pizza
Hashbrown casserole

I also make homemade cranberry walnut or cinnamon raisin bread but it seems like we are always looking for something new.

Does anyone have any ideas or recipes?!
spud912 07:25 AM 09-07-2011
What about yogurt with berries and granola? I do plain yogurt and the berries naturally sweeten it.

Also, my children love smoothies (I usually do strawberries, bananas, yogurt, wheat germ, and milk).

Bagels with cream cheese

Breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, cheese, mild salsa, turkey bacon on a wheat tortilla)

For a special treat: crepes (you can either make your own or buy the pre-made ones). I stuff mine with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. There are other stuffings that are either savory or more healthy.
SandeeAR 07:34 AM 09-07-2011
I do Cinnamon Rolls or Donuts about once a month as a treat. We also do English muffins with jelly.
SilverSabre25 07:38 AM 09-07-2011
Don't forget about things like putting apple slices/blueberries/bananas in the pancakes, or varying the toppings with the oatmeal (dried fruit added to the water as it heats makes it squishy and nummy--I love dried cherries the best)--maple syrup, honey and milk, brown sugar and cinnamon...there are lots of oatmeal options. Same with muffins (I have in mind to try carrot-orange muffins soon, with grated carrots, orange juice, and orange zest)--blueberry, apple-cinnamon, whatever.

I like "Breakfast banana splits" with ice cream scoops of cottage cheese, crushed pineapple and strawberries as toppings, banana slices, sprinkle with wheat germ/graham cracker crumbs, and serve with strips of toast. Yummy! You can vary the toppings, too (peaches and blueberries are good on cottage cheese too).

Pumpkin bread
Banana bread

English muffins or bagels instead of toast
wdmmom 09:10 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Don't forget about things like putting apple slices/blueberries/bananas in the pancakes, or varying the toppings with the oatmeal (dried fruit added to the water as it heats makes it squishy and nummy--I love dried cherries the best)--maple syrup, honey and milk, brown sugar and cinnamon...there are lots of oatmeal options. Same with muffins (I have in mind to try carrot-orange muffins soon, with grated carrots, orange juice, and orange zest)--blueberry, apple-cinnamon, whatever.

I like "Breakfast banana splits" with ice cream scoops of cottage cheese, crushed pineapple and strawberries as toppings, banana slices, sprinkle with wheat germ/graham cracker crumbs, and serve with strips of toast. Yummy! You can vary the toppings, too (peaches and blueberries are good on cottage cheese too).

Pumpkin bread
Banana bread

English muffins or bagels instead of toast
Thanks Silver! Great ideas!
heyhun77 09:31 AM 09-07-2011
Here's my breakfast rotation on my 3 week menu and we have very few repeats:

ww waffle bites/sticks/applesauce/hard boiled eggs
PB&J/bananas/string cheese
ham/egg/cheese on english muffin/apple slices
Kashi Berry Crunch Cereal/fresh fruit
Yogurt/strawberries/granola or HM granola bars
mini bagels w/cream cheese/bananas/string cheese
ham and cheese egg bake/tater tots
Oatmeal/apples/raisins
Veggie or turkey sausage on hm biscuit/orange wedges
cottage cheese/hm cinnamon rolls/peaches
malt-o-meal/bananas/cheese cubes
pancakes/yogurt/mandarin oranges
banana bread/string cheese/grapes
french toast bites/pears
scrambled eggs/toast/applesauce

For the items that would typically have syrup I either use my divided tray plates and put the syrup in one section to dunk or we use sanitized milk jug covers and then the mess stays in the cover and gets thrown away.
wdmmom 09:48 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
Here's my breakfast rotation on my 3 week menu and we have very few repeats:

ww waffle bites/sticks/applesauce/hard boiled eggs
PB&J/bananas/string cheese
ham/egg/cheese on english muffin/apple slices
Kashi Berry Crunch Cereal/fresh fruit
Yogurt/strawberries/granola or HM granola bars
mini bagels w/cream cheese/bananas/string cheese
ham and cheese egg bake/tater tots
Oatmeal/apples/raisins
Veggie or turkey sausage on hm biscuit/orange wedges
cottage cheese/hm cinnamon rolls/peaches
malt-o-meal/bananas/cheese cubes
pancakes/yogurt/mandarin oranges
banana bread/string cheese/grapes
french toast bites/pears
scrambled eggs/toast/applesauce

For the items that would typically have syrup I either use my divided tray plates and put the syrup in one section to dunk or we use sanitized milk jug covers and then the mess stays in the cover and gets thrown away.
Great ideas, however, I think if I offered that much for breakfast, I'd be throwing over half of it away. I also stopped serving string cheese because the cost has gone up significantly! About 40 cents each. I only offer them a half and I'm still throwing it away.

Same with yogurt. The price went up so significantly I only serve it when I can get it on sale for about 30 cents each and I then split it up between 2 kids.
heyhun77 10:37 AM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Great ideas, however, I think if I offered that much for breakfast, I'd be throwing over half of it away. I also stopped serving string cheese because the cost has gone up significantly! About 40 cents each. I only offer them a half and I'm still throwing it away.

Same with yogurt. The price went up so significantly I only serve it when I can get it on sale for about 30 cents each and I then split it up between 2 kids.
If you are on a food program you will be required to serve a protein with breakfast in the near future as that is the new regulation coming down the pipes. That's why I started doing it (on top of the fact that the kids' behavior is much better when they get protein with breakfast.

I get the string cheeses at Sam's Club in bulk for 20 cents each. I buy yogurt in 32 oz containers for 2.18 at Sam's Club and we use about one and a half containers when everyone is here for breakfast.

Why is the food getting thrown away? Are they eating junk in the car on the way (mine used to do this)? Is it too early? About once a year I reevaluate our meal times because the group of kids changes and I adjust as needed. Last year we had breakfast at 8:30 because I had kids that were coming after breakfast and had only eaten junk in the car so they were super hungry by 9 am and I don't do snacks that turn into meals so I just changed snack time into a meal and eliminated morning snack. Now that I have more school-agers that need breakfast before they leave and the rest of the kids are back to eating better before arrival or waiting until they are here we have breakfast at 7:45 again.

If they just won't eat what you serve, maybe tweak things a bit. For instance make things a little sweeter to start and then back off the sweetness until you are where you want. I make everything from scratch so there are things that I have had to modify to start and then I switch it so we can reduce the sugar content down to a more reasonable amount.

Good luck with your meal planning.
Abigail 12:10 PM 09-10-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
If you are on a food program you will be required to serve a protein with breakfast in the near future as that is the new regulation coming down the pipes.
Is serving milk for breakfast everyday considered a protein or do you always serve milk and a protein?
Tags:breakfast, breakfast - menu
Reply Up