Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Of You That Run Contracted Hours
Angelwings36 08:15 AM 09-26-2011
I run contracted hours with my daycare families. Right now I have a family that has contracted hours of:

Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 5:15pm
Friday 7:30am - 4:30pm

For the last few weeks I have been having an on going problem with this family dropping off between 8:15am and 9:00am. My contract with this family states that the children must be dropped off between 7:30am and 8:00am monday through friday. I will allow a later than 8:00am drop off with a phone call/text but families are not to make a habit of this. Obviously this has become a habit with this family.

I have written them up a letter and I think I'm going to put them on a 3-strike system for the next month. This means if this family is later than 8:00am to drop off the kids more than 3 times in the month, the children will be excluded from care that day and fees for that day will be non-refundable.

I felt I needed to attach a consequence to the 'unacceptable' behaviour.

Does this consequence seem good to you?

Also please note that daycare dad is off work right now due to a neck injury.

Thanks.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 09-26-2011
How come they can't drop off later? If they paid for the time, they are the ones missing out on what they paid for.

I am just wondering. I hate when parents say they will be here at a certain time and then are late so I do truly understand, I am just wondering what the specific reason is that they can't be late. Do you guys have to leave to go somewhere or is it just the inconvenience factor?
sharlan 08:29 AM 09-26-2011
I don't understand either.

As long as they call and let you know that they won't be there on time in the AM, but pick up on time in the PM, what difference does it make?

Now, if you have to take kids to school, I would go along with my normal routine and let them get there before or after.

I don't care what time they come in the AM, but I'm very picky about what time the pick up in the PM.
laundrymom 09:28 AM 09-26-2011
If they contract 7-4 and drop off at 330 and pick up at 359. I'm fine with it. It's the overages I won't mess with.
wdmmom 09:28 AM 09-26-2011
I have a policy that if the parent doesn't call and notify the daycare 1 hour before their designated drop off time of a late arrival or an absence, there is a $10 convenience fee per day in addition to your regular daily rate.

I started doing this because I had a girl come in at 615am and the DCM had a habit of being late or not calling in. My other DCK's didn't come in until 730am so I specifically made it for the early arrivals but as time has went on, I do it for anyone.

My time is valuable and we operate on a pretty strict schedule. I can't hang out and hold the kids back from enjoying the activities that they should.
laundrymom 09:30 AM 09-26-2011
Also. I don't hold activities. I do them with who is here and those that miss,... Miss.
Angelwings36 10:42 AM 09-26-2011
I find it inconvient to have a later drop off. We do circle story time at 8:30am every morning, that's how I start off our daycare day. I have a group that will not remain in the circle or be attentive if we get disrupted. I also have two children that have to catch a bus every morning at 8:15am which means I have to be planted by the window to make sure they get on the bus ok. If I have to answer the door I can not see the kids get on the bus at the same time. I also do all of my drop offs and pick ups on my main floor and then move everyone downstairs once everyone is present to the main play area. I do not have an active door bells (hate them!) and can not hear if someone knocks on my door if I am in certain areas of my house so I normally keep a watch out for when parent's are coming. I guess there are alot of factors that I expect parent's to drop off within half hour of when they are suppose to lol
daycare 10:44 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I run contracted hours with my daycare families. Right now I have a family that has contracted hours of:

Monday - Thursday 7:30am - 5:15pm
Friday 7:30am - 4:30pm

For the last few weeks I have been having an on going problem with this family dropping off between 8:15am and 9:00am. My contract with this family states that the children must be dropped off between 7:30am and 8:00am monday through friday. I will allow a later than 8:00am drop off with a phone call/text but families are not to make a habit of this. Obviously this has become a habit with this family.

I have written them up a letter and I think I'm going to put them on a 3-strike system for the next month. This means if this family is later than 8:00am to drop off the kids more than 3 times in the month, the children will be excluded from care that day and fees for that day will be non-refundable.

I felt I needed to attach a consequence to the 'unacceptable' behaviour.

Does this consequence seem good to you?

Also please note that daycare dad is off work right now due to a neck injury.

Thanks.
Why dont you just tell the family:
I noticed you guys are starting to come later every day. WOuld that work better for you and the kids? If so, lets change your contracted times it would really help me when planning my days. This way I will know when to expect the kids each day.

Leave it at that.

then change their contract times and let them know that if they need to go back to the old times that you will need to have a 2 weeks notice.

I do this all the time...and yes i agree with you that its annoying that you dont know when a child is going to arrive or leave.....
daycare 10:48 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Why dont you just tell the family:
I noticed you guys are starting to come later every day. WOuld that work better for you and the kids? If so, lets change your contracted times it would really help me when planning my days. This way I will know when to expect the kids each day.

Leave it at that.

then change their contract times and let them know that if they need to go back to the old times that you will need to have a 2 weeks notice.

I do this all the time...and yes i agree with you that its annoying that you dont know when a child is going to arrive or leave.....
sorry i guess we posted at the same time...

If this is the case, and I know what you mean. I also run a preschool program and dont allow late drop offs either for the same reason you listed.

This is what I did. since the family kept coming in late and disrupting class, I figured out a time where we were in transition. I kept an open window for about 10 min and this is when I allow for this child to be dropped off. The parent knows that they are to come to the door (which I unlock 5 min prior to child arrival) help her child take off shoes and jacket. Put things in the cubby box and then I meet her half way in the other room and I walk DCK right into our activity that we are setting up.

It has worked out fine, but the family would have to be open to contracting at a later time each day..
WImom 11:08 AM 09-26-2011
I have one family that is scheduled for 7:30/8:30 but is usually there around 9:30. I don't wait for them. I told mom when she started coming later and later that it's fine but her DD will be missing out on preschool activities.
Christian Mother 01:43 PM 09-26-2011
I ashually have kids arrive from 6:15am to 9:30am and I work around the delivery. Each parent has there own key and they assist there child in the door and to me so I don't need to do much but greet and usher then to what ever activity we are doing. I had a child last week come just as we where doing our art activity and he wanted to play with toys. I was fine with that as I got to finish up what I was doing with the other children and then when they where finished they went off to play with toys also. It was a little later I got to transition this little boy on his own to do his project and it was super quick as I didn't need to keep going from one child to the next. I just make it work. The problem that I think I have is having parent drop off late expecting that they can pick up late too and it not be on there contract. I am having a problem with that as we speak.
Angelwings36 02:09 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I ashually have kids arrive from 6:15am to 9:30am and I work around the delivery. Each parent has there own key and they assist there child in the door and to me so I don't need to do much but greet and usher then to what ever activity we are doing. I had a child last week come just as we where doing our art activity and he wanted to play with toys. I was fine with that as I got to finish up what I was doing with the other children and then when they where finished they went off to play with toys also. It was a little later I got to transition this little boy on his own to do his project and it was super quick as I didn't need to keep going from one child to the next. I just make it work. The problem that I think I have is having parent drop off late expecting that they can pick up late too and it not be on there contract. I am having a problem with that as we speak.
I think it's a neat idea that all of your clients have a key, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving all my clients a key to my house and my husband would be really mad at me if I did, so that's not an option.
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 09-26-2011
I find it inconvient to have a later drop off. We do circle story time at 8:30am every morning, that's how I start off our daycare day. I have a group that will not remain in the circle or be attentive if we get disrupted. I also have two children that have to catch a bus every morning at 8:15am which means I have to be planted by the window to make sure they get on the bus ok. If I have to answer the door I can not see the kids get on the bus at the same time. I also do all of my drop offs and pick ups on my main floor and then move everyone downstairs once everyone is present to the main play area. I do not have an active door bells (hate them!) and can not hear if someone knocks on my door if I am in certain areas of my house so I normally keep a watch out for when parent's are coming. I guess there are alot of factors that I expect parent's to drop off within half hour of when they are suppose to lol
Ok, I gottcha. It can be very disruptive to havve late arrivals. In your case, I totally understand why it is bothering you. Not sticking to times (whether at pick up or drop off) is disrespectful. Especially because I am assuming that the times you are contracted with them are based on the times THEY told you.

Why don't you try implementing a policy that if a family is more than 15 minutes late with out calling that you will not accept them into care for the day? It might work in this case to help the deter them from being so late/disruptive.
Angelwings36 03:15 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, I gottcha. It can be very disruptive to havve late arrivals. In your case, I totally understand why it is bothering you. Not sticking to times (whether at pick up or drop off) is disrespectful. Especially because I am assuming that the times you are contracted with them are based on the times THEY told you.

Why don't you try implementing a policy that if a family is more than 15 minutes late with out calling that you will not accept them into care for the day? It might work in this case to help the deter them from being so late/disruptive.
The thing is the dad is already texting me literally every morning at different times to tell me he is going to be late. I only take on families that have drop off times earlier than 8:00am. This family told me their drop off time would be 7:30am.
Blackcat31 04:22 PM 09-26-2011
The thing is the dad is already texting me literally every morning at different times to tell me he is going to be late. I only take on families that have drop off times earlier than 8:00am. This family told me their drop off time would be 7:30am.
Well, maybe it is time then for a probationary period. Three late drop offs and you are done.......next.

Doesn't sound like there is going to be anything you can do to "fix" the issue if the consequences aren't swift and harsh.

Hang in there. If you do a probationary period there are only two outcomes;

1.) they will start following your policies or
2.) you'll have to let them go and then it won't be a problem any more.

Either way, you win.
kendallina 04:35 PM 09-26-2011
Have you explained this reasoning to them? I think it makes a lot of sense as to why you don't want to accept children late into care, but if they don't know the reasoning then maybe they don't understand the importance. I run a preschool program and have it in my handbook that families need to arrive between 8:50-9:00. And then I explain to them the disruption with the other kids/our routine/ and also the disruption their child experiences in joining the group late (ever been late to a meeting? It's not a comfortable position to be in). If they continue to not understand your reasoning, then I'd add a consequence for that particular family.
daycare 04:45 PM 09-26-2011
I like your comparison of the meeting...I think that I will put this in my PHB.. I have changed a lot of my PHB added in a lot of FAQ, so I don't have to constantly repeat myself as to why this or why that...
MarinaVanessa 04:47 PM 09-26-2011
I think it's a neat idea that all of your clients have a key, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving all my clients a key to my house and my husband would be really mad at me if I did, so that's not an option.
What about a keyless entry system? The kind that you punch in a code that works only during their contracted days and times. I have one and it works well. It's about $300 for the lock and then a $9 monthly fee but I can add and remove clients or change their hours in minutes. I was having the same issue and I just chose to go this route. It was completely tax deductible too.
daycare 05:21 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
What about a keyless entry system? The kind that you punch in a code that works only during their contracted days and times. I have one and it works well. It's about $300 for the lock and then a $9 monthly fee but I can add and remove clients or change their hours in minutes. I was having the same issue and I just chose to go this route. It was completely tax deductible too.
this sounds interesting... So what happens if lets say the dcf is supposed to arrive at 8 am but arrived at 8:20, can they still open the door??
Crazy8 07:28 AM 09-27-2011
I run on contracted hours, but I also have the policy that you must be here by 9am. Kind of like your 8am but we start a bit later. I don't mind if families are occassionally later - I don't charge for it, but I've never had it become a reoccurring problem either.
momma2girls 09:45 AM 09-27-2011
It's all fine and dandy, til you want to leave the house on a walk, to the park, etc...... I had to add it to my contract- if you are coming an hr. or so later than contracted time, without a call, I take it you are not coming at all, that day, and we may be gone. I had this actually happen about 5 times now!! One didn't call after a dr. appt. just thought they could just drop off at anytime thoughout the day- I was gone on a walk, they never found me. They were mad when I wasn't here- I even had it in my contract, and the other times, were, just got up late, had the day off, and didn't care, just wanted to drop them off whenever they wanted to!!! UGHHH!!!
MarinaVanessa 12:52 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
this sounds interesting... So what happens if lets say the dcf is supposed to arrive at 8 am but arrived at 8:20, can they still open the door??
Yep. They can open it during the hours they are contracted (the hours that you program their code for) but if she tries to open it at 7:57 she has to wait 3 more minutes before it will open. If she shows up to pick-up and it's 5:16pm on a Monday or 4:31 on a Friday ... well it just won't work. This was a life-saver for me because it kept me on top of who was late in picking up . They would have to call me (if we were out back) or ring the bell.

I have a smart phone and it sends you emails or texts (whichever you set up) alerting you that the person entered their code. I keep these emails in a folder in my inbox and use them as another form of proof of their arrival and departure times. It's worth checking it out. I saved for a while before commiting to it.
Christian Mother 01:55 PM 09-27-2011
Oh, no not to my house...just to the gate that gates our house to outsiders. That particular key can't open the house door...heeheh!! I lock the gate and leave my house door unlocked for the morning arrivals...I lock it when the last child is dropped of. Then if I have a late child I will unlock it for them. In this case the parents call a day ahead to confirm so I can walk over and unlock it for them.

One of the parents I watched was concerned about safety and asked if my gate could be locked and at that time I could personally lock it but then that ment the parents would have a time getting in and out so I decided to just make a set of keys for each parent other then part time parents. Only FT parents where given one. For the parents that are PT or drop in... I would unlock it for them for that specific day and then lock it after them. It def. makes it hard though bc you have to take everyone out there or leave it unlocked til the kids are all secured in high chairs or sleeping.
Tags:contracted hours
Reply Up