Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cold Medicine
mema 08:37 AM 01-08-2013
Do they make it for under 6 any more??? All mine in my closet say under 6 consult a physician. I have 1 who was out yesterday and is here today. Showed up late and when I asked dck if they had eaten, they said yes-cereal and some yummy purple drink. So, I asked if it was like a juice in a big cup. Nope, ya know one of those tiny ones. I am thinking dck was either given tylenol or cold medicine. I am leaning toward the cold medicine. No fever, but is just plain ol' crabby.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 01-08-2013
I don't think they make anything for the under 6 crowd, but I could be wrong.

Why not call/text mom and ask her straight up?
NeedaVaca 08:45 AM 01-08-2013
I think there are a few for 4-6 yrs...wait and see if a fever mysteriously appears when the yummy purple drink wears off
Nickel 11:44 AM 01-08-2013
No, they don't. I just had this discussion with my Ped DR. They found that cough and congestion medicine when given to children under 6 had a higher incident of death due to elevated heart rate and difficulty breathing. He won't even prescribe me cough medicine for my little one and my insurance doesn't cover any infant couch suppressants.

Oh, and companies voluntarily pulled their products off the shelf for the under 6 crowd.
daycare123 11:51 AM 01-08-2013
actually they make a childrens mucinex, it's minimum age is 4yrs old. It's not purple though it's red.
NeedaVaca 11:59 AM 01-08-2013
Sudafed is cough & cold, it says on the box ages 4-5 1 tsp and it's purple
MNMum 12:13 PM 01-08-2013
Even if it is not labeled for children under 6, doesn't mean a parent is following the bottle's advice. Actually, my pharmacist friend said they took it off the market due to deaths, but the deaths were all related to parents giving too much to their child. So parents may have a doctor or someone they trust who gave a recommended dose, even though the bottle does not.
countrymom 12:16 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
Even if it is not labeled for children under 6, doesn't mean a parent is following the bottle's advice. Actually, my pharmacist friend said they took it off the market due to deaths, but the deaths were all related to parents giving too much to their child. So parents may have a doctor or someone they trust who gave a recommended dose, even though the bottle does not.
your right, this was the reason it was all taken off. It was because parents didn't know how to read the labels and gave more, heck many were giving it their kids so their kids can sleep even when their kids where perfectly healthy.
wdmmom 12:19 PM 01-08-2013
My guess is they gave him Dimetap.
daycare 12:21 PM 01-08-2013
I have 10 kids here today.....8 of them are sick. Coughing really bad, gagging, runny nose and being crabby......

I don't mind if a parents gives cough meds, they just better let me know if they did or not.

I tell parents this.... The reason that I need to know, is because of the what if's.....

what if they have an allergic reaction and I need to take them to the ER. I would be important for me to know if your child is currently on any form of medication.

I have a form that they fill out. It says my child xyz was given xyz at 8:00am before arriving to the childcare. My child has been experiencing xyz and therefore felt it was necessary for me to give it to them.

NOt exactly those words, but something to this degree...
daycarediva 12:25 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by daycare123:
actually they make a childrens mucinex, it's minimum age is 4yrs old. It's not purple though it's red.
mucinex is just a cough expectorant. It would actually make the symptoms/cough appear worse.
daycare123 01:12 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
mucinex is just a cough expectorant. It would actually make the symptoms/cough appear worse.
Actually the stuff i have is mucinex multi symptom cold for stuffy nose couch chest congestion and breaks up mucus. And it actually make my daughter cough less. Best cold medicine i have found for her.
daycare 01:21 PM 01-08-2013
Actually the stuff i have is mucinex multi symptom cold for stuffy nose couch chest congestion and breaks up mucus. And it actually make my daughter cough less. Best cold medicine i have found for her.
I use this for my son as well and it does work great....he does not like the flavor verymuch, but it does work wonders
sharlan 04:28 PM 01-08-2013
My daughter used this over the weekend for my grandson, it really helped with the coughing. He hated the taste and fought her though, like daycare said.
Tags:cold medicine, medicine
Reply Up