Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Online Day Care Classes
284878 12:16 PM 01-17-2014
I found a link to online day care classes. It says that they are approved for my, which isn't the question. Has anyone done classes this way? Are they pause-able? lower cost? easier to do? Give me your opinion. Thank you
Annalee 12:22 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by 284878:
I found a link to online day care classes. It says that they are approved for my, which isn't the question. Has anyone done classes this way? Are they pause-able? lower cost? easier to do? Give me your opinion. Thank you
I enrolled in the local community college but many of my classes were online (RODP). I only went to class some semesters for proctored midterm/finals. I loved it because I could get my classwork done after my own children went to bed or at nap during daycare. You have to be very disciplined with dates/deadlines to be successful.
butterfly 12:27 PM 01-17-2014
I like the online classes. I can do them in my home and count that time worked in my time/space since I was working in the home during that time. Around here the cost is the same, but it's a convenience to do them in my pj's if I desire.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I enrolled in the local community college but many of my classes were online (RODP). I only went to class some semesters for proctored midterm/finals. I loved it because I could get my classwork done after my own children went to bed or at nap during daycare. You have to be very disciplined with dates/deadlines to be successful.
This is sooo true!

I earned my entire Bachelor's degree in ECE on-line.

100% on-line, other than practicum and interning.
BrooklynM 02:17 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is sooo true!

Blackcat-would you mind PMing me and letting me know what college you went to online? I'm very interested in doing the same. I've done some research but haven't been able to get referrals from actual people who have successfully done it.

Thank you!
Starburst 02:34 PM 01-17-2014
I thought about applying for the National Hispanic University (main campus in San Jose, CA). They have an option for getting your BA in CD completely online, you can even have a dual concentration in Biliteracy Development and Early Intervention. You can even get an MA in Early Childhood and Education online there, too.
_Dana_ 02:46 PM 01-17-2014
This is sooo true!

Yep, I've been taking my ECE classes online for the last 2 years while teaching full time at an international school abroad. Now, I'm back in the States and 4 classes away from my Bachelor's degree!

I went to a traditional college about 10 years ago and that didn't work out too well. The online classes have been much more conducive to my learning style, family's needs, and priorities. I've been able to schedule 1-2 weeks off in between classes for a break or for when I know my personal life is about to get crazy (like moving to a different country!)

I found my advisers and professors to be very approachable and helpful. The classes are all very structured with discussion questions every week. Every other week, you have a small research paper or project. At the end of the class you have a big research paper or project. I've really enjoyed the process....but will be so glad when it is all done!
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Blackcat-would you mind PMing me and letting me know what college you went to online? I'm very interested in doing the same. I've done some research but haven't been able to get referrals from actual people who have successfully done it.

Thank you!
I actually went through a MN State University. It was a program called 2+2. I did my first two years through a community college and then transferred to the University to finish.

I was able to take coursework through 18 different community colleges throughout our state as all the colleges participated in this program.

Some semesters, I was taking 4-5 course through 4-5 different colleges.

When I reached my final years, ALL coursework was through the MN University.

If you would like to see the link to this program, http://www.smsu.edu/academics/progra...ation/?id=3954

It's a fantastic deal for people who can't actually get to the college for seat time or classroom courses or for people who work full time.

I don't know if all state's do it or not but they should.

HTH

If you have any other questions, just let me know, I am always happy to help.
Annalee 05:43 PM 01-17-2014
I actually went through a MN State University. It was a program called 2+2. I did my first two years through a community college and then transferred to the University to finish.

I was able to take coursework through 18 different community colleges throughout our state as all the colleges participated in this program.

Some semesters, I was taking 4-5 course through 4-5 different colleges.

When I reached my final years, ALL coursework was through the MN University.

If you would like to see the link to this program, http://www.smsu.edu/academics/progra...ation/?id=3954

It's a fantastic deal for people who can't actually get to the college for seat time or classroom courses or for people who work full time.

I don't know if all state's do it or not but they should.

HTH

If you have any other questions, just let me know, I am always happy to help.
I have only completed my Associate's degree. I got transferred spring 2013 to the University which has a 2+2 program for K-8 teaching but not Prek thru 3, so upon transferring I realized I would have to drive to this university which is 2 hrs away during the day, no online or night classes that would benefit me. The K-8 teaching/education classes come to the local community colleges but are a courtesy of the larger university as a part of the 2+2 program, but not yet for early childhood. I am in contact with my adviser and have been assured that the growing number of ECE majors has tripled and she said this would gradually be set up to accommodate ALL education majors. One day maybe I will get to that BS. However, I have enjoyed the break! Don't know how I did it because I sure like my sleep now.
Tags:online courses
Reply Up