Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gonna Be One of Them Days....
TSDaycare 05:15 AM 06-30-2011
All DCKs are on vacation for the 4th of July weekend except one 2 year old. He is fairly easy, comes around 7 and leaves early. So as Im getting ready, I hear another kid pull into my driveway. "Surprise" they say as they open the door! Really "surprise"!! Not to mention they showed up earlier than they ever have the entire time I have been watching him-640AM and will be here until 5 PM!!. SA boys mom got sick over night and he needs to come today and tomorrow. This is a case where I wish I were going away, since he wasn't scheduled to be here I wouldn't have let them know of my plans! Ugh I'm exhausted today on top of everything!!!
Reply
countrymom 05:18 AM 06-30-2011
hmmm I would have been angry but I would have said that I have plans for such and such a day. Too bad mom got sick, like I tell my kids "suck it up" I bet you she has plans.
Reply
morgan24 05:49 AM 06-30-2011
I would of said the surprise is on you because your not scheduled today and I have plans. I really think that is rude of dcm to think just because she got sick she can bring dck to you without even asking. You are way nicer than I am because he would not of stayed.
Reply
nannyde 06:13 AM 06-30-2011
You need to learn the "tag your're it" game.

Parent: "Surprise. Mom is sick so DCB will be here today and tomorrow"

You: "Oh I'm sick too. (they just gave you a headache) I didn't call you because he isn't scheduled today. I will not be able to work tomorrow either. See you guys on Tuesday and have a happy and relaxing 4th of July. I hope we are ALL better then."

And LOCK YOUR DOOR.

Did you say yes cuz you need the money?
Reply
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 06-30-2011
I am so sorry that happened. They better come bringing flowers and chocolate at pick up....

I would not have accepted him in to care without prior notification and acceptance.

Only exception was if it was his regularly scheduled day that they had already paid for (I only do full-time care). Even then, the unannounced early drop off would not have worked.

I probably would have done it, though, if Mom was in the hospital and Dad was on his way there.

If she is at home, with a phone in fingertip reach, that was beyond rude.
Reply
TBird 06:46 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You need to learn the "tag your're it" game.

Parent: "Surprise. Mom is sick so DCB will be here today and tomorrow"

You: "Oh I'm sick too. (they just gave you a headache) I didn't call you because he isn't scheduled today. I will not be able to work tomorrow either. See you guys on Tuesday and have a happy and relaxing 4th of July. I hope we are ALL better then."

And LOCK YOUR DOOR.

Did you say yes cuz you need the money?
Sheer genius...this is one form my archives!!!
Reply
momofboys 09:53 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
All DCKs are on vacation for the 4th of July weekend except one 2 year old. He is fairly easy, comes around 7 and leaves early. So as Im getting ready, I hear another kid pull into my driveway. "Surprise" they say as they open the door! Really "surprise"!! Not to mention they showed up earlier than they ever have the entire time I have been watching him-640AM and will be here until 5 PM!!. SA boys mom got sick over night and he needs to come today and tomorrow. This is a case where I wish I were going away, since he wasn't scheduled to be here I wouldn't have let them know of my plans! Ugh I'm exhausted today on top of everything!!!
I would have said, "No, surprise on you! - Sorry you should have called ahead since you had scheduled vacation time I made other plans". Totally uncool of them to just bring the child unscheduled. Sick mom or not.
Reply
momofboys 09:53 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
you need to learn the "tag your're it" game.

Parent: "surprise. Mom is sick so dcb will be here today and tomorrow"

you: "oh i'm sick too. (they just gave you a headache) i didn't call you because he isn't scheduled today. i will not be able to work tomorrow either. See you guys on tuesday and have a happy and relaxing 4th of july. I hope we are all better then."

and lock your door.

Did you say yes cuz you need the money?
like!!!!!
Reply
SilverSabre25 09:54 AM 06-30-2011
Unless by "sick" they mean "in the hospital hanging on by a thread" or "having emergency surgery" or something similar...yeah...I would have turned them away or charged them double or something.
Reply
TSDaycare 10:18 AM 06-30-2011
Child comes full time, mom and dad are separated, mom is not working right now- so mom just keeps boy on her days (thanks!) and is still paying so I can't really turn them around. It all works out-gives my boy someone to play with besides "the baby", I'm just not good with sudden changes-especially that early in the morning! Mom needs "rest" so he will stay until dad can get here.
Reply
nannyde 10:37 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Child comes full time, mom and dad are separated, mom is not working right now- so mom just keeps boy on her days (thanks!) and is still paying so I can't really turn them around. It all works out-gives my boy someone to play with besides "the baby", I'm just not good with sudden changes-especially that early in the morning! Mom needs "rest" so he will stay until dad can get here.
Oh I get it now.

I wouldn't have allowed the early drop off without notice but I would have welcomed him with open arms if they were paying for the slot that day. I like to EARN my money. I have one kid who is paid full time and comes part time and has been for many years. I'm always really glad when she comes.

The one thing about situations like this though is that they can feel that when they DO use you that they should have as many hours as they want cuz you have had so much free pay. It's important to send the message that the schedule is set regardless of past attendance. I don't pay back time.

If your child is absent any day of the week you are still responsible to drop them off and pick them up at the contracted times each attending day thereafter. We do not make up any time for missed days. Absences on one day do not allow you to use more day care hours on any other day.
Reply
momofboys 10:50 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Child comes full time, mom and dad are separated, mom is not working right now- so mom just keeps boy on her days (thanks!) and is still paying so I can't really turn them around. It all works out-gives my boy someone to play with besides "the baby", I'm just not good with sudden changes-especially that early in the morning! Mom needs "rest" so he will stay until dad can get here.

That's fine that they pay for the whole week. My issue is you need to know ahead of time. What if you were not home or took a vacation? Do they expect you to be at their beck & call every hour of the day?? My point is you need to know if they are coming or not, very rude for them to show up at 6:40 am on a day they were not scheduled to be there whether they pay for the whole week or not. You are not Target! I would change your contract to say you need to have the week's schedule at least a week on advance & that the parent can not change hours/days without your permission once you have the schedule. And if they do have to bring at a different day/hour than what they told you in advance you can accept the child but only for an additional fee. Being a provider does not mean you have to be a doormat.
Reply
Crazy8 12:06 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
That's fine that they pay for the whole week. My issue is you need to know ahead of time. What if you were not home or took a vacation? Do they expect you to be at their beck & call every hour of the day?? My point is you need to know if they are coming or not, very rude for them to show up at 6:40 am on a day they were not scheduled to be there whether they pay for the whole week or not. You are not Target! I would change your contract to say you need to have the week's schedule at least a week on advance & that the parent can not change hours/days without your permission once you have the schedule. And if they do have to bring at a different day/hour than what they told you in advance you can accept the child but only for an additional fee. Being a provider does not mean you have to be a doormat.
I totally agree with this!! During the school year something like that may not bother me because I have a full load and I'm known for saying yes too often, but I told all families I needed their summer schedule by June 1st and that I will be making plans around their schedules so changes may not be accommodated. I have families paying for their full week but taking days off but NO, I will not accept someone just showing up at my door the day they aren't supposed to come. If mom is sick, she is home, so therefore she could have waited till a decent hour to call you and ASK if the child could come.
Reply
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, entitlement, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up