Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Calm
TwinMama 08:20 AM 10-18-2019
I have ANOTHER baby that is super needy and just wants to be held. The first one ended up growing out of it for the most part. He's 1 1/2 now.

This one 10 months old and she immediately stops the second I pick her up. Only certain people can hold her too. Her Aunt can't even hold her or she screams bloody murder.

I let Mom know that she's very demanding all day and she just comes back with..."That must be frustrating."

I've tried letting her cry it out, but then she just wakes the whole house up. Some days she sleeps ok...other days she doesn't. It's not just during nap though either.

Mom says that it's just too difficult to put her down. Others that know the family says she never touches the floor.

She literally cries like she's in pain just to be held. I used to bake cookies for the kids during nap. Now I just tip toe hoping she at least sleeps for an hour.

This is so frustrating.

She eventually fell asleep today halfway through nap time.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 10-18-2019


I just don't have it in me anymore to deal with that.
If kids can't adjust, I'm out. I just can't keep fixing other people's parenting fails.
Reply
Annalee 09:03 AM 10-18-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:


I just don't have it in me anymore to deal with that.
If kids can't adjust, I'm out. I just can't keep fixing other people's parenting fails.
Amen, Amen and Amen!
Reply
Ariana 12:44 PM 10-18-2019
I would give an ultimatum to the parents....this needs to improve or no more daycare!

Like everyone else I cannot deal with this at all! I just recently started a kid who is very similar. Had a chat with the parents about it, increased her nap by an hour and now she seems fine. For some odd reason these kids who want to be held also need a lot more sleep than other kids. Their brains are simply not wired for sensory input or sadness.
Reply
Ms.Kay 01:12 PM 10-18-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would give an ultimatum to the parents....this needs to improve or no more daycare!

Like everyone else I cannot deal with this at all! I just recently started a kid who is very similar. Had a chat with the parents about it, increased her nap by an hour and now she seems fine. For some odd reason these kids who want to be held also need a lot more sleep than other kids. Their brains are simply not wired for sensory input or sadness.
Same!!! 1 yr old is taking 3 naps a day....because he has the highest shrill scream I've heard in my 30 yrs!! I am upfront and honest with the parents..thankfully...they are very receptive and working on it too. I still have a date on the calender.
Reply
Annalee 01:20 PM 10-18-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would give an ultimatum to the parents....this needs to improve or no more daycare!

Like everyone else I cannot deal with this at all! I just recently started a kid who is very similar. Had a chat with the parents about it, increased her nap by an hour and now she seems fine. For some odd reason these kids who want to be held also need a lot more sleep than other kids. Their brains are simply not wired for sensory input or sadness.
My opinion about the needing more sleep is because these kids are co-sleeping with multiple family members. Everyone is sleeping but NO ONE IS RESTING! So the child can't self-regulate due to being tired all the time. Just my opinion
Reply
jenboo 09:01 PM 10-18-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My opinion about the needing more sleep is because these kids are co-sleeping with multiple family members. Everyone is sleeping but NO ONE IS RESTING! So the child can't self-regulate due to being tired all the time. Just my opinion
Couldn't agree more!I had a 1 year old who would sleep the day here with me if I let him because he was so tired. He barely slept at night because the parents insisted on co sleeping and he would stay up and play with them all night long.
Reply
Pestle 07:31 AM 10-19-2019
Ditto--I have a new 10mo who's been here nearly a month and isn't adapting. He doesn't want me to touch him. His parents rock him to sleep. He's fussy and it's driving the other kids up the wall.
Reply
Tags:10 month old, 18 months, needy
Reply Up