Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AC Broken, Should I Cancel Interviews?
EchoMom 09:02 AM 07-15-2013
Our AC (which is NEWish, only 2 years old!) broke and is completely not working. We're trying to get someone out ASAP to fix it, but of course, they're very busy right now. We are keeping the kids comfortable spending most of the day outside in the baby pools, etc.

BUT I have 2 interviews scheduled tomorrow. One at 9am, one at 5pm. Should I cancel? I really really don't want to cancel as I'm afraid I won't get another shot with these people. I don't want them to think we're unreliable or have things that break.

Should I cancel the interviews or just do them anyway, even though it's hot? i don't want to waste the interview though by doing it when the house won't show it's best. The house doesn't smell as good or feel as good when it's hot and stuffy. And my mom and I are SWEATY cranky people in the heat.

Thoughts?
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 07-15-2013
Meh...life happens. Things break. You are addressing it.

I'd do the interviews as planned. You are selling you NOT necessarily the house.

Plus I can't imagine a parent NOT understanding that things happen.

If you cancel because of the broken AC parents might think you close over little things like that.....kwim?
MsLaura529 09:10 AM 07-15-2013
They should understand that things break. As long as you are working on getting it fixed and not just letting it go, it should be fine. Maybe, you can call them just to give them a heads up that they may see a company's technician van in the driveway when they come or something, because your AC will be getting fixed. That way they are prepared for it to be a little warmer than normal and can dress accordingly.
Heidi 09:15 AM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
They should understand that things break. As long as you are working on getting it fixed and not just letting it go, it should be fine. Maybe, you can call them just to give them a heads up that they may see a company's technician van in the driveway when they come or something, because your AC will be getting fixed. That way they are prepared for it to be a little warmer than normal and can dress accordingly.

EchoMom 09:23 AM 07-15-2013
My mom and I LOVE it cold and we do NOT tolerate heat well. My mom's concern is that the house is too hot for us to even clean. I expect that if we can't get it fixed today, I'll be cleaning the house at 2am in my underwear. Most people don't use nearly as much AC as we do, but to us it's insanely hot in here. I just don't want to be pouring sweat during the interview.

It's 90 degrees outside today, and it's reading at like 85 in the house... I'm just not sure we can impress them with us, or with our house when it's this hot. But I also really hate the thought of canceling.

The kids don't seem to mind a bit... They played in the pool all morning and now we've been inside for lunch and to play indoors. They are all pink faced and a little clammy but don't seem to really notice. We have lots of fans.
Play Care 09:35 AM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
My mom and I LOVE it cold and we do NOT tolerate heat well. My mom's concern is that the house is too hot for us to even clean. I expect that if we can't get it fixed today, I'll be cleaning the house at 2am in my underwear. Most people don't use nearly as much AC as we do, but to us it's insanely hot in here. I just don't want to be pouring sweat during the interview.

It's 90 degrees outside today, and it's reading at like 85 in the house... I'm just not sure we can impress them with us, or with our house when it's this hot. But I also really hate the thought of canceling.

The kids don't seem to mind a bit... They played in the pool all morning and now we've been inside for lunch and to play indoors. They are all pink faced and a little clammy but don't seem to really notice. We have lots of fans.
I agree with the poster who said to call the interviews. Let them know that the a/c has broken and while you have scheduled a repair man, it will not be fixed in time for the interview. I might even mention something light hearted "the kids don't seem to mind, they are loving the extra water play!" So they know you are open and handling it accordingly...I would be prepared to give a quick tour, any copies of paperwork they may need and then show them the door with a "if you have any questions..."
nanglgrl 09:35 AM 07-15-2013
This may sound silly but have you changed your filter and sprayed off the outdoor unit? This happened to our unit after we did a lot of remodeling so there was a ron of build up on the filter. If its icing up it usually just needs those things done. If its something else I have no idea !
Familycare71 04:59 PM 07-15-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:

Me too!!!!! Lol. I CANNOT tolerate the heat and my kids bring sweatshirts invade they get cold inside- I think for me it would depend on if I could reschedule with the families. Also if you know when the air will be fixed. If its a day or two I would call and say- I am so sorry but a situation came up can we reschedule for... If it is within a few days I don't think it would be a big issue- if it may be a week or more then I would suck it up and clean in my undies!
Tags:interview
Reply Up