Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do you have a substitute? Who?
tamarab71 05:25 AM 01-03-2013
Just opened and I'm wondering who you use as a substitute? I'm in CT. It appears that a sub would need to go through the same process as a provider and that seems to me to be an awful lot of work for someone to go through who's only used on a fill-in basis here and there. Do you offer to pay for their fingerprints and First Aid/CPR class or make them pay on their own? Do you treat them as an employee?
LaLa1923 05:35 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by tamarab71:
Just opened and I'm wondering who you use as a substitute? I'm in CT. It appears that a sub would need to go through the same process as a provider and that seems to me to be an awful lot of work for someone to go through who's only used on a fill-in basis here and there. Do you offer to pay for their fingerprints and First Aid/CPR class or make them pay on their own? Do you treat them as an employee?
I'm in MD and if they are paid then they have to be fingerprinted. My hubs is my sub and he was fingerprinted newly since we live together . You can't open without one here
TBird 05:36 AM 01-03-2013
My thoughts are...

- I guess family or close friends who are available & don't mind doing the little extra paperwork & CPR to help you out. I would probably pay for it. You can get CPR & First Aid around here really cheap ($15), the fingerprinting is free, and the background check would cost me the most at $25.

- Sometimes I use a young lady who works PT for another Family Daycare. She already had everything so it was super easy.

Hope this helps!
itlw8 06:01 AM 01-03-2013
most of my friends use their dh. My sis used to be mine when she worked p/t. Once I had a dcm that would do it. She also came on field trips.

Dh is mine. We have to have one in MO. they have to be CPR certified also
Unregistered 06:16 AM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I'm in MD and if they are paid then they have to be fingerprinted. My hubs is my sub and he was fingerprinted newly since we live together . You can't open without one here
Here in CT, we are required to have an emergency caregiver but that is considered different than a substitute. My aunt is my emergency caregiver but she doesn't have to be fingerprinted or have First Aid, etc. She just had to be able to get here within 10 minutes and her duty would be simply to call parents and tell them to pick up their kids due to the emergency. I might consider asking her to be the substitute since I'd just need her for appointments anyway. (My husband couldn't be it as his work shift is the same as mine. My parents are disabled and live quite a distance away anyway.) I'll look into the licensing requirements/differences between the two positions a bit more. Thanks.
MarinaVanessa 04:49 PM 01-03-2013
I'm in CA and here anyone living in the household over the age of 18 has to be fingerprinted and tested for TB. Anyone left with the children when I'm not here needs to be CPR Certified.

Since my hubs was already fingerprinted and background checked he went ahead and got CPR certified so he can be my sub most of the time.

My sister was already CPR certified so I paid to have her background checked and TB tested so that if hubs can't sub then she's my back-up.

I also have a friend that is getting her Child Development degree and she is already tested for TB and CPR certified so I paid for her to be background checked also and she fills in when my family is on vacation in the summer (she's is out of school).

I know it may seem like a lot but you can advertise for candidates that already meet this criteria and see if you get any hits. Most daycare center staff sometimes already have most of these requirements met and have already passed a criminal background check through their other jobs so you should be able to contact licensing to see if they can simply check the person's results (this is how it works here in CA). My mom used to watch one of her friends kids and got paid through subsidy so if the caregiver isn't a family member they have to be background checked so when my mom moved in with me all I had to do was get her tested for TB and contact licensing to have them check her background, I didn't have to pay for her to be checked again (but it may work differently in your state).
melilley 08:21 PM 01-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here in CT, we are required to have an emergency caregiver but that is considered different than a substitute. My aunt is my emergency caregiver but she doesn't have to be fingerprinted or have First Aid, etc. She just had to be able to get here within 10 minutes and her duty would be simply to call parents and tell them to pick up their kids due to the emergency. I might consider asking her to be the substitute since I'd just need her for appointments anyway. (My husband couldn't be it as his work shift is the same as mine. My parents are disabled and live quite a distance away anyway.) I'll look into the licensing requirements/differences between the two positions a bit more. Thanks.
We have the same rules in MI. An emergency person is just like you said
and assistants here have to have the same qualifications as the owner. Plus we have to do what's called an Ichat background check on the person, they have to have safe sleep and shaken baby syndrome training, blood borne pathogen training as well, in addition to the fingerprinting, TB test, medical clearance. I know a few providers who use their dh and they aren't trained, but I would feel guilty doing that in case anything happened! In fact, I don't think a lot of providers know the difference in an emergency person and assistant. When I told the one provider who had her mil or daughter fill in, she didn't even know!
Scout 03:34 AM 01-04-2013
I am legally unlicensed so I use my mother in law. She is a retired RN so dcp have no problem with this!
LK5kids 04:04 AM 01-04-2013
I am in WI and we have to have an emergency backup person (who has to be able to get here in 5 min) who has had a background check and taken the shaken baby syndrome prevention training. I am cert. to do the SBSP training, so that helps! Oh, and a physical.

My emergency person is my ex-sister in law. She will also come 4 hrs. Per week once I am full. One morning for two hours and one afternoon for two hours.
I will stay here the two hours in the morning but will go out to the local coffee shop, etc for some r&r in the afternoon. Our subs start to need trainings after 250 hrs. Including CPR. I think they may need child abuse trainings also.

She will be treated as an employee.
Unregistered 08:28 AM 01-04-2013
When you got licensed didn't you have to have a certified sub/caregiver's paperwork in with your application?

I have two subs. One is a friend and one is a relative. They are paid when I use them.

Where in CT are you?
I'm in southeastern near New London.
Tags:employee, provider, substitute
Reply Up