Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Four Month Old Baby Used To Sleeping In Swing
Neekie 04:35 AM 02-27-2013
I have a four month old baby who just started this week. This baby does not sleep all day unless he is being held. And then he wakes up at the slightest movement we make while holding him. Last night I was talking to dcm and she said he sleeps in a swing at home because his crib is upstairs and it is just easier to put him in the swing downstairs. So now he won't sleep in a crib for me at all. Even if he is asleep when we put him down, he wakes up as soon as he hits the mattress. Rubbing his tummy, shushing him, ect. does no good. I tried letting him cio for a few minutes at a time during our nap time yesterday and that didn't work either. Mom said she is going to try to get a doctor's excuse for him to sleep in a swing, but I don't know if she will be able to get one since he has no medical problems. And I am not comfortable with him sleeping in the swing even if he does have a doctor's excuse. He cries a lot even when he is being held and wants to eat all the time. He has been drinking way too much formula...six ounces every two and a half hours. I think maybe he needs some cereal. He is just so over-tired. What in the world can I do?
lovemykidstoo 04:56 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Neekie:
I have a four month old baby who just started this week. This baby does not sleep all day unless he is being held. And then he wakes up at the slightest movement we make while holding him. Last night I was talking to dcm and she said he sleeps in a swing at home because his crib is upstairs and it is just easier to put him in the swing downstairs. So now he won't sleep in a crib for me at all. Even if he is asleep when we put him down, he wakes up as soon as he hits the mattress. Rubbing his tummy, shushing him, ect. does no good. I tried letting him cio for a few minutes at a time during our nap time yesterday and that didn't work either. Mom said she is going to try to get a doctor's excuse for him to sleep in a swing, but I don't know if she will be able to get one since he has no medical problems. And I am not comfortable with him sleeping in the swing even if he does have a doctor's excuse. He cries a lot even when he is being held and wants to eat all the time. He has been drinking way too much formula...six ounces every two and a half hours. I think maybe he needs some cereal. He is just so over-tired. What in the world can I do?
It's going to take time, but you're going to just have to keep putting the baby in the bed. He will take to it sooner or later. I've had the same thing and here licensing won't allow them to sleep in a swing or carseat.
Neekie 05:04 AM 02-27-2013
Yep, same here. Licensing won't allow it here either unless there is a doctor's excuse on file.
nannyde 05:12 AM 02-27-2013
A parent can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
A Doctor can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
Even if a Doctor would offer a note for upright sleeping it would not absolve you of responsibility if the child should succumb to positional asphyxia. Having an order like that INCREASES your liability to where you would be required to have the child within your eyesight AT ALL TIMES in the swing. You would have to continuously be monitoring head position.

Babies under six months should NOT be given ANY food. At this age he should be eating four ounces every three hours.

If he is that fussy he needs a TON of supervised belly time. I would have him on his belly for hours a day after working him up to that. He needs to get his exercise on so he can drop to sleep easily.

At four months old... after ruling out medical issues... I would give him a bottle about a half hour before nap... change his pants and put him down for a two hour nap. I would check frequently and reassure him with smiles and a soft face. I would not take him out during nap. He's a great eater and as long as he has had a rocking morning of belly time and activities he needs a LONG deep sleep in the p.m.

If he's sleeping all night long in a swing his brain is very very very overstimulated. That energy HAS to come back out. It is with his crying at your house. Just understand he is balancing himself out by crying off the excess stimulation he has had during swinging. The opposite of swinging is laying on back and sleeping without motion. Do the opposite.

I would also print out a sheet on positional asphyxia and have the mom sign that she has received it. If this child (who is in PRIME time for death by asphxia) should die on her watch... it needs to be understood that she was warned but choose to do what was best for her.
Jewels 05:21 AM 02-27-2013
MY son when he was 3 year old, had severe reflux, like had to be in the ER on fluids he was so dehydrated reflux, long story short, we couldn't get him to sleep at home, as he had to be upright after eating, and even then he screamed and screamed, finally bought a very nice swing and he passed out in it, and there was his bed for 5 months(this was prior to do daycare, I was still working, so this wasn't illegal) I never knew he had such a hard time at daycare, she never told me, but she did a long time later, I think she knew i would have done anything to be home with him, and she might have lost him(although with the amount of crying he did there I'm amazed she didn't send him packing) but eventually at 5 months he started throwing himself forward, and he needed to move, I tried everything as everyone told me you can't spoil a baby under 6 months old, well nothing worked that didn't make him screaming mad, so eventually he went into the crib and we let him CIO 2 grueling hours later he was asleep, and the next night 30 minutes, and after that he would sleep no where but his crib, but the following monday, when I picked him up at daycare she was so happy saying "oh my god you fixed my baby!" and then he slept for her..........I currently have a 4 month old and he naps only in arms at home, and sleeps in a cozy little angled cradle thing at night, so he will not nap here for longer than 20 minutes, but this will not be fixed until he gets a little older, I do think he's still a little young to CIO, and I have talked to them so they are trying to work on transistioning to the crib, but I do know they need to choose the right time, and I know until he's sleeping in his crib at home, he won't sleep good for me, so I'm just hoping they change things sooner than to much later.. my baby also sleeps swaddled, which I wish they would stop, he had no control over his arms while sleeping, and constantly smacks his face awake, and smacks his nook out, and if they would stop swaddling he would gain more control, and I have mentioned this to, and I know they want to get him good, but its a fear to switch your babies sleeping habits as you know it will keep you up at night, but until then, its just going to stink for me.

And to add on to nanny above, my son slept in a swing, but it was never on, its just where he slept, it was never in motion, and my pediatrician who is amazing, knew of the sleeping and she recommended the angled sleep. I never worried for my sons safety in his swing. But I agree that you can not do this for childcare, but I know with my current 4 month old, he just screams in the crib, he will sleep for 20 minutes but after that at 4 months old I don't feel comfortable letting him just cry and cry....not yet maybe in a few more weeks.
NeedaVaca 05:23 AM 02-27-2013
Sleeping in a swing can be very dangerous. I would let mom know this and honestly, if she knew he was going to be going to daycare she should have been trying to get him on a decent schedule or at the very least able to sleep in a bed...poor thing. It will probably take quite some time for him to adjust/transition but the parents must be doing the work on their end!
LaLa1923 05:26 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
A parent can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
A Doctor can't give you permission to do the wrong thing.
Even if a Doctor would offer a note for upright sleeping it would not absolve you of responsibility if the child should succumb to positional asphyxia. Having an order like that INCREASES your liability to where you would be required to have the child within your eyesight AT ALL TIMES in the swing. You would have to continuously be monitoring head position.

Babies under six months should NOT be given ANY food. At this age he should be eating four ounces every three hours.

If he is that fussy he needs a TON of supervised belly time. I would have him on his belly for hours a day after working him up to that. He needs to get his exercise on so he can drop to sleep easily.

At four months old... after ruling out medical issues... I would give him a bottle about a half hour before nap... change his pants and put him down for a two hour nap. I would check frequently and reassure him with smiles and a soft face. I would not take him out during nap. He's a great eater and as long as he has had a rocking morning of belly time and activities he needs a LONG deep sleep in the p.m.

If he's sleeping all night long in a swing his brain is very very very overstimulated. That energy HAS to come back out. It is with his crying at your house. Just understand he is balancing himself out by crying off the excess stimulation he has had during swinging. The opposite of swinging is laying on back and sleeping without motion. Do the opposite.

I would also print out a sheet on positional asphyxia and have the mom sign that she has received it. If this child (who is in PRIME time for death by asphxia) should die on her watch... it needs to be understood that she was warned but choose to do what was best for her.
Do you have a handout on positional asphxia?
nannyde 06:44 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Do you have a handout on positional asphxia?
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf
Scout 07:21 AM 02-27-2013
I had no idea this stuff could be so dangerous!! Thanks for sharing. I cringe now thinking about how when DS1 was little if I couldn't get him to go back to sleep shortly before I had to get up for work I would put him in his swing, put cartoons on, and go back to bed!! Scary! thanks!!
Play Care 08:17 AM 02-27-2013
YEARS ago I had an infant with such horrible reflux he would only sleep in his car seat or scream (not cry, blood curdling, wake the neighbors screaming). Mom got a doctors note saying he had to be upright in the seat. I had her sign a release stating that this could increase the liklihood of SIDS/strangulation, etc and she could not sue/persue charges should anything happen to the child from sleeping in a non recommended position. The scary thing was she signed it without hesitation Licensing was also made aware of the situation (they were not thrilled and recommended he be transitioned to a PNP as soon as I could) I was a WRECK and would not let the child out of my sight the entire nap.

In all honesty I should have termed and would never do it again regardless of notes, releases, etc. This job is exhausting enough, but feeling like I *have* to allow a potentially dangerous situation just to keep a kid? Never again.
As for cereal, I thought the recommendations was 4-6 months? I haven't taken infants in some time (and prefer not to) so it may have changed?
nannyde 08:58 AM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
YEARS ago I had an infant with such horrible reflux he would only sleep in his car seat or scream (not cry, blood curdling, wake the neighbors screaming). Mom got a doctors note saying he had to be upright in the seat. I had her sign a release stating that this could increase the liklihood of SIDS/strangulation, etc and she could not sue/persue charges should anything happen to the child from sleeping in a non recommended position. The scary thing was she signed it without hesitation Licensing was also made aware of the situation (they were not thrilled and recommended he be transitioned to a PNP as soon as I could) I was a WRECK and would not let the child out of my sight the entire nap.

In all honesty I should have termed and would never do it again regardless of notes, releases, etc. This job is exhausting enough, but feeling like I *have* to allow a potentially dangerous situation just to keep a kid? Never again.
As for cereal, I thought the recommendations was 4-6 months? I haven't taken infants in some time (and prefer not to) so it may have changed?
No the aap recomends earliest six months. I recommend 8
Neekie 12:08 PM 02-27-2013
Well, dcd showed up at the door this morning with doctor's note in hand. I was shocked! I really didn't think the doctor would want to put that responsibility on himself. So I tried the swing and guess what. He doesn't like my swing. YEAH!!! I sat riight next him and watched him the whole time. I was so nervous. I think I may just get rid of the swing. I don't feel comfortable using it at all anymore. It used to be my lifesaver at one time. He is still screaming. Hasn't slept more than 45 minutes all day. Bottle at home at 6:30...four ounces. Arrived at 7:30. Held in my lap for fifteen minutes while other kids arrived. Diaper changed. Played next to me in baby bouncer for 10 minutes. Placed in swing. Slept for 45 minutes with me staring at him the whole time. And then that was it for the swing. He wanted nothing to do with it after that. Bottle at 9:30...6 ounces. Diaper change. Tummy time on the floor. He only tolerated that for about 5 minutes. Another feeding at 12:30...6 more ounces. He wanted more, but I cut him off. Frequent diaper changes and changes of scenery. I spent a lot of time making sure I got all the burps up. The rest of the the time he cried unless he was being held. He slept in my arms, but the minute I laid him down he was immediately awake and screaming. He is now getting hoarse.
Neekie 12:12 PM 02-27-2013
By the way, I am thinking is probably not so safe with him sleeping in my arms either unless I am constantly making sure his head is positioned right. Something I bet a lot of people maybe never thought about.
blandino 12:15 PM 02-27-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No the aap recomends earliest six months. I recommend 8

The APP and WHO have changed their recommendations to no solids until 6 months at minimum. Some pediatricians are still saying 4 months, however. I would agree with Nannyde, in waiting even longer.

Plus, you should also consider the levels of arsenic that new studies are finding in rice products. Sometimes the organic rice cereal has an even higher arsenic content.

We currently have 1 DCM who is ver conscious of the arsenic levels. We didn't do rice cereal with her daughter at all, and we don't do puffs either (as they are rice based).

The other day of Facebook, I saw a former client feeding her new baby cereal at 3 months !!!
Jewels 12:25 PM 02-27-2013
I have a family who stared their 3 month old on food, carrots, fruits....ugh, why?????? all because you can't wait to see their reaction, c'mon, I personally waited with my own, but I'm not a fan of the baby food stage, they don't need it.
Heidi 12:31 PM 02-27-2013
I don't know about the solids talk...I know that in my generation, we were given solids much earlier. I personally start solids at 4-5 months, or when a bottle is no longer holding a child over for 2 or so hours. We could probably argue that one to death.

The 10 week old in my care now is drinking 5-6 oz every 2 1/2 hours. (She breastfeeds at home, so so she gets a mix of formula and b. milk). I am working on making it every 3, but I'm certainly not letting her cry from hunger for a 1/2 hour just to make things easier for me. She is also sleeping through the night, something no one is complaining about.

Next goal...get her on a sleep schedule here. She's still a little all-over-the-place. I thought I'd wait until after the time change to "nudge her" into one...
Neekie 01:09 PM 02-27-2013
Aah! Success! I decided on no swing and no holding while he is sleeping. I finally just placed him on his back in his crib. I was a little reluctant to do that because his crib is in the same room with a one year old who is in her crib trying to take her nap. But she slept right through it all. He screamed for a few minutes and then he was quiet. Then for an hour and a half he fused, then screamed, then was quiet and he repeated that sequence until he finally fell asleep. He is now sound asleep in his crib on his back. I decided to just bite the bullet and make him sleep in his crib.
Heidi 01:12 PM 02-27-2013
Aah! Success! I decided on no swing and no holding while he is sleeping. I finally just placed him on his back in his crib. I was a little reluctant to do that because his crib is in the same room with a one year old who is in her crib trying to take her nap. But she slept right through it all. He screamed for a few minutes and then he was quiet. Then for an hour and a half he fused, then screamed, then was quiet and he repeated that sequence until he finally fell asleep. He is now sound asleep in his crib on his back. I decided to just bite the bullet and make him sleep in his crib.
whoohoo!

tough love, baby!

Oh, btw...that's your 100th post...just happened to notice.
blandino 01:18 PM 02-27-2013
Lots of support headed your way. I know sometimes it makes it easier knowing that others support what you are doing. That is exactly what I would have done.
nannyde 03:02 PM 02-27-2013
Well, dcd showed up at the door this morning with doctor's note in hand. I was shocked! I really didn't think the doctor would want to put that responsibility on himself.
He's not putting it on himself. He's putting it on you. Sure any kid can sleep sitting straight up as long as YOU do all the visual supervision. Babies aren't dying in swings or car seats when they are being watched CONSTANTLY and repositioned CONSTANTLY.

He's saying it's okay to have him sleep in a swing. He's not saying you don't have to insure he's safe every single second of it.
Scout 07:42 AM 02-28-2013
So, I posted Nannyde's link on my FB page and one of my friends is an investigator with one of our counties coroner's office. He went on to comment how this is a real problem and that he has done lectures on back to sleep. He says on avg. his county alone sees 20-30 infant deaths from this per year!! Just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS INFO!!
Scout 07:44 AM 02-28-2013
I would've done the same. It is easier to listen to them cry when they aren't your own...still hard but, easier!
lovemykidstoo 09:23 AM 02-28-2013
These are important stories to learn from. I don't allow my kids to sleep in anything other than an approved PNP. No sleeping in strollers, carseats or swings. I would like to point out though that the majority of these in this link were caused by incorrect use. Such as not strapping in correctly or not strapping in at all, so even if someone does want to let a baby sleep in one of these even though they shouldn't, please make sure that they are in the item correctly.
renodeb 10:09 AM 02-28-2013
I think your in for an uphill battle. In my opinion mom is just taking the lazy way out. She could just as easliy put a pnp down stars somewhere quite and atleast get the baby used to that. Licensing here will not allow sleeping in anything but a crib either. A lot of moms think that a nap in the car seat is a good nap but its not. Its almost like artifical sleep or a false since of sleepyness. Maybe try giving the baby a little water imbetween the bottles? Feedings should really be more like 3 hrs apart since formula is metabolized slower. In these cases you need to do what you need to do to get along during the day. I have had pretty good success with babies that sleep in there swing if you put them in just long enough to get sleepy and then put them in there cribs. It may take some time but it has worked for me. Also does the baby take a paci? That may help some. Is there any way you could push the mom a little about the whole crib issue? She is really doing oyu and that child an injustice. The baby will not learn self soothing or self entertainment if she is always being put to sleep in the swing. Let us know how it goes.
Debbie
Neekie 01:37 PM 02-28-2013
Ok, now this week was his first week and so he was here Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Monday was just a get to know baby day and we were experimenting with him to see what worked best for the him as we have not gotten any info from either parent...not even in the paperwork. On the question asking about the baby's current schedule she wrote "Eat, awake, sleep". It was hard to know what to do on the first day with virtually no information. Tuesday was a bad day cause the baby did not want to do anything except eat and sleep in our arms. I gave in to that cause I really didn't know what to do and when I talked to mom about it, that is when the swing thing came up. Wednesday I decided to bite the bullet and do what I could to get him to eat on a three to four hour schedule and sleep in his crib. All day that day he ate six ounces every three to four hours...huge improvement, and by the afternoon he was sleeping in his crib. I thought we had really made progress and then today they showed up without the baby...just dropped off their two year old. They said the baby had been up crying all night and mom kept him home and would be taking him to his aunt's house if she decided to go to work. It was a huge disappointment to me after all we went through to get him on track and I was so elated that we had succeeded and now he does not get brought back so that we can continue to work with him. I kind felt like it was a slap in the face. And now we will probably have to start from square one again when he comes back. As for the swing I found out that they put him in the swing and he falls asleep in it, but they do not put the swing in motion. They did not tell me that either until after the fact.
Heidi 03:29 PM 02-28-2013
Ok, now this week was his first week and so he was here Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Monday was just a get to know baby day and we were experimenting with him to see what worked best for the him as we have not gotten any info from either parent...not even in the paperwork. On the question asking about the baby's current schedule she wrote "Eat, awake, sleep". It was hard to know what to do on the first day with virtually no information. Tuesday was a bad day cause the baby did not want to do anything except eat and sleep in our arms. I gave in to that cause I really didn't know what to do and when I talked to mom about it, that is when the swing thing came up. Wednesday I decided to bite the bullet and do what I could to get him to eat on a three to four hour schedule and sleep in his crib. All day that day he ate six ounces every three to four hours...huge improvement, and by the afternoon he was sleeping in his crib. I thought we had really made progress and then today they showed up without the baby...just dropped off their two year old. They said the baby had been up crying all night and mom kept him home and would be taking him to his aunt's house if she decided to go to work. It was a huge disappointment to me after all we went through to get him on track and I was so elated that we had succeeded and now he does not get brought back so that we can continue to work with him. I kind felt like it was a slap in the face. And now we will probably have to start from square one again when he comes back. As for the swing I found out that they put him in the swing and he falls asleep in it, but they do not put the swing in motion. They did not tell me that either until after the fact.
I think you need to call them in for a meeting. That is not going to work! Time for some tough love, dear parents!

And, caring for them without your required paperwork? B-A-D idea! I would make sure they know they MUST have it when he comes back or he cannot stay.
jenn 06:24 PM 02-28-2013
I don't even have a swing anymore. I found that most of my babies fell asleep in them and then I just had to move them to the crib, usually waking them up. They ARE NOT safe sleeping in a swing.

They should only sleep in a crib or pack and play. I have one now that is held for sleeping at home or is in a swing. It took him about 5-6 days to adjust to sleeping in the crib here. We do a big tummy time a little bit before nap, and then I lay him in the crib. He fusses a little, but is so tired, he falls asleep.
Neekie 08:29 PM 02-28-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I think you need to call them in for a meeting. That is not going to work! Time for some tough love, dear parents!

And, caring for them without your required paperwork? B-A-D idea! I would make sure they know they MUST have it when he comes back or he cannot stay.
Heidi, I had paperwork, but it didn't do me any good as far as getting to know the baby's schedule and things like that. Where it asked for her to write down the baby's current schedule for eating and sleeping, she put down "Eat, awake, play". Well, that was helpful. LOL
Heidi 07:19 AM 03-01-2013
Heidi, I had paperwork, but it didn't do me any good as far as getting to know the baby's schedule and things like that. Where it asked for her to write down the baby's current schedule for eating and sleeping, she put down "Eat, awake, play". Well, that was helpful. LOL
oh...sorry..I misunderstood. I've had parents write that on the under 2 form too. Pretty much nothing. lol

It's hilarious to me that they suggest we have parents update it every few months. After a couple month, I should be the one filling it out for the parents I think! JK
Neekie 09:52 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
oh...sorry..I misunderstood. I've had parents write that on the under 2 form too. Pretty much nothing. lol

It's hilarious to me that they suggest we have parents update it every few months. After a couple month, I should be the one filling it out for the parents I think! JK
Oh, that is so true!
Tags:sleeping places, swings for sleep
Reply Up