Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Home Providers
Josiegirl 03:06 PM 08-08-2018
Do any of you keep all your own bedroom doors, etc., locked to keep the dcks out? Lately I've had an issue with the kids and doors. I've even had to tell the kids they now have to ask to use the bathroom because I have to keep it locked. My own bedroom(which is where the dogs stay for a good part of the day)is right off the living room, which is one of our main areas of play. It's never really been a forbidden room but now it's becoming an issue.
I tried putting just a simple hook up towards the top but it got pulled right out(didn't do a great job) so now I have to figure something else that holds better. But geeze louise, what is it with doors???
Jupadia 03:22 PM 08-08-2018
My own bedroom and my kids are all up stairs and there for unreachable for the kids. Upstairs for our own use, I just use one of those food knob things that make it hard to open, the same for the closets. This is for my 2 year old, my five year old has been taught to open them, but only allowed for things like the closet to put away laundry.

Downstairs I do have a movie room that kids dont get to go in right off the daycare room. I only use it for napers that sleep in pack in plays (typically the ones who still do 2 naps). I have a lock on the top for sliding closet doors, but I can only lock from one side. Mostly though my current group leaves it alone. The other entrance to the room is a baby gate that the kid exckudding my 5 year old cant do.

If you dont want to put anything hevey duty up like a sliding lock or such, I've seen something called a 'door monkey' that may work though have not used one myself.
DaveA 03:26 PM 08-08-2018
No locks, but I put a gate up in the hallway blocking access to the bedrooms.
CalCare 03:46 PM 08-08-2018
Most of our rooms are "off limits" and not licensed and must have childproof handles to keep dcks out. Only one door- my bedroom door- has the wrong kind of door so I have to put a gate on it daily. It's a sliding wood door that slides into the wall. A weird 60's house. I don't always keep the bathroom door shut. Only if I don't have my two toddlers blocked in the playroom, I close it. But normally my toddlers are completely playroom, naproom or backyard only... With supervised visits to wash hands iand brush teeth in the bathroom.
hwichlaz 04:13 PM 08-08-2018
my bedroom has a gate with a doggy door in it, and the kids' bedrooms have those child proof knob covers on them.
Jdy2222 06:19 PM 08-08-2018
All bedrooms in my house are on the second floor and none of the daycare kids are allowed up there, the stairwell is gated at the bottom.
storybookending 08:32 PM 08-08-2018
I have two bedrooms upstairs. One is next to the bathroom and an exclusive use daycare room used only for napping. There are two baby gates blocking access to these rooms and also blocking off a small hallway. My ones that are potty trained know how to work the gates and they can go back to the bathroom whenever they need to use it. They never bother the bedroom. My personal bedroom is just off the living room/playroom and I use it to nap infants when I have them in care. The door stays closed with a child proof handle when not in use and propped slightly open when someone is napping so I can peek through the crack to check without making much noise. All of my closets have either child proof handles or little hooks up high. I set the boundaries from the beginning and no one goes where they are not supposed to. Sometimes I don’t even shut the baby gates leading to the bathroom/back bedroom and instead of crossing their boundary line they will just shut it without being asked or told.
Josiegirl 02:05 AM 08-09-2018
Can't believe my own stupidity. I bought some of those door knob covers awhile back but couldn't use them for my intended purpose and forgot I even had them. Going to try them today!!!

Thanks everybody!
It all gets so frustrating some days. I feel like I'm forever chasing everybody more than anything else.
Annalee 03:44 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Can't believe my own stupidity. I bought some of those door knob covers awhile back but couldn't use them for my intended purpose and forgot I even had them. Going to try them today!!!

Thanks everybody!
It all gets so frustrating some days. I feel like I'm forever chasing everybody more than anything else.
I hear you, Josie! My teacher dcm and I were talking just this week about how teachers spend most of their time "teaching" things the kids should know before getting to her. Not academics, but simply how to act, respect for other things, following the rules, etc. She said no matter how much teachers or I try, the home is such a powerful influence with these children. Most homes have none to very little boundaries or expectations so the child simply lives in a "free for all" environment and acts so awful when if corrected that the parents don't correct. I have dcb2 and he slowly begins to escalate when he doesn't get what he wants. He does that because his parent will give in because they don't want to hear the BIG scream. I have a dcg2.5 that still gets a paci because they don't want to hear her scream. She hasn't had it here since she was 10 months old. Parents tell me this and we share how important "accountability/responsiblity" is at such a young age but some parents just aren't going to do it. It can be frustrating for sure! Didn't mean to hijack your thread just remembering the days when we told kids where/what was available and they complied but not happening now.
Josiegirl 04:25 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I hear you, Josie! My teacher dcm and I were talking just this week about how teachers spend most of their time "teaching" things the kids should know before getting to her. Not academics, but simply how to act, respect for other things, following the rules, etc. She said no matter how much teachers or I try, the home is such a powerful influence with these children. Most homes have none to very little boundaries or expectations so the child simply lives in a "free for all" environment and acts so awful when if corrected that the parents don't correct. I have dcb2 and he slowly begins to escalate when he doesn't get what he wants. He does that because his parent will give in because they don't want to hear the BIG scream. I have a dcg2.5 that still gets a paci because they don't want to hear her scream. She hasn't had it here since she was 10 months old. Parents tell me this and we share how important "accountability/responsiblity" is at such a young age but some parents just aren't going to do it. It can be frustrating for sure! Didn't mean to hijack your thread just remembering the days when we told kids where/what was available and they complied but not happening now.
I completely agree. Up until 7-8 yrs. or so ago, I could count on 1 hand how many dcks I've had that were completely non compliant with any rules. Now it feels at least half of any group I have, act that way.
And I'll be damned if I can find those door knob covers this a.m. Leave it to me to put them somewhere that will be easy to find in case I ever needed them.
Annalee 04:31 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I completely agree. Up until 7-8 yrs. or so ago, I could count on 1 hand how many dcks I've had that were completely non compliant with any rules. Now it feels at least half of any group I have, act that way.
And I'll be damned if I can find those door knob covers this a.m. Leave it to me to put them somewhere that will be easy to find in case I ever needed them.
I also feel as providers, I have to rinse and repeat with redirection more than ever. Reading a book can be difficult sometimes. Not that everyone has to listen but they do need to be respectful and quiet. Such a selfish/entitled generation! I do have routine and a sense of control but it drains me now more than it used to due to the difference in families....it starts in the home! We are not miracle workers. Families create these situations and expect daycares/schools to fix them. That is mixed up!
Tags:gates, locked doors
Reply Up